Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: In-Game settings menu  (Read 5781 times)

Offline Go_Cat75

• Hospital GOD
    • View Profile
Re: In-Game settings menu
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 03:29:03 AM »
... will be returning in the next update.
due to constant bitching.

Not that I bitched but it would be good.

I don't care about load times ect I load in <3seconds.  Game is designed on 2004 architecture.  Most have computers build after 2010.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 14:29:38 PM »
Not that I bitched but it would be good.

I don't care about load times ect I load in <3seconds.  Game is designed on 2004 architecture.  Most have computers build after 2010.

Deeper meaning in that sentence. You said a right thing but you just need to say also that the game won't make much use of a 2010 architecture. It wouldn't make 100% use even of a 2008 one *hint*cores*hint*

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
  • AA: guily6669
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 14:53:42 PM »
Yeah but cores means nothing to this game, since a single core of a nowadays cpu will smoke AA...

One thing is that I was never able to join AA on the map that has vehicles, not even with my X1800GTO, it runned at like 15 fps, on max settings, and if I used lowest settings, it had 15fps. No matter what I was never possible to play in that freakin map.

But now with my new PC bought last year, I can finally play there, but don't care anymore as 2.8 is dead and it never was a good map...

ps: But I always played AA pretty well since the first time, even the 9600XT was enough for it, it just had fps drop, but that's something to do with performance issues, I could always play good on max settings (just not much good on some maps on this laptop on aa2.5, though 2.8.5 runs good) But i make a huge OC on the laptop's graphic card, and hell yeah, i win like 15 fps :) (I made cooling mods, though not much needed here).
Keep Cool

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 14:58:38 PM »
Yeah but cores means nothing to this game, since a single core of a nowadays cpu will smoke AA...

Keep Cool

Start America's Army 2.8.5, load Snakeplain, or even better, ES2 Border (which is the coop version) and look at your framerate crushing down happily :) .

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 16:33:25 PM »
Because AA doesn't efficiently use CPU power. AI + vehicles take a lot of CPU power. And don't come here comparing it to some other game with thousands of AI and vehicles. I will laugh at you.

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 16:51:54 PM »
Because AA doesn't efficiently use CPU power. AI + vehicles take a lot of CPU power. And don't come here comparing it to some other game with thousands of AI and vehicles. I will laugh at you.
Yep, that's a very, very exclusive extra, the game main engine doesn't really support that kind of thing with good physics.

ps: It was just not meant to be...
Keep Cool

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 18:25:36 PM »

One thing is that I was never able to join AA on the map that has vehicles, not even with my X1800GTO, it runned at like 15 fps, on max settings, and if I used lowest settings, it had 15fps. No matter what I was never possible to play in that freakin map.

To your first point, you're inaccurate. My Pipeline yields less than max FPS, and my computer is more than adequate to play it. It's just a lack of optimization in the engine and/or limitations of pushing the map/engine too far. Pipeline doesn't use 100% of any of my CPU cores, it's just a limitation.

To your second point, changing graphic settings may not always affect FPS. It can be other things bottlenecking hardware in your computer. That's why they say, if you get a high end GPU, you'll need a decent CPU so you don't bottleneck the GPU and make it wait on the CPU to pre-render frames.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 19:09:14 PM »
Well I have GTX570 + I7 2600K + 4GB G.Skill 2133mhz. That's why I don't even need multicore performance on AA as it runs good on the desktop...

The first time I played AA back in 2004, I had P43.6ghz + ATI 9600XT and had that problem of settings doesn't fixing the breaks. Then I had the AMD 3800+ + Nvidia 7600GT, and I still had that problem.

On my P4 when I updated to X1800GTO, still same problem...

ps: It's really an americas army problem, and not my pc by not having good hardware. Though i'm not thinking to buy any more PC's, running out of €€€€ :-\.
Keep Cool

Offline Go_Cat75

• Hospital GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday, February 17, 2012, 10:42:19 AM »
This single vs multi and the myth that it makes no difference as AA only uses one core is rubbish.

I have changed from single core Pentium 4 then to dual and quads with half the bus speed while not changing ram, video or MB. 

There is a hugh performance increase.  I can't explain it technically but everything just works better system side so AA also runs better.

Jonnym

« Reply #24 on: Friday, February 17, 2012, 11:09:26 AM »
Makes sense, AA will be hogging 1 core so the other core will handle all the OS and driver stuff.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #25 on: Friday, February 17, 2012, 14:41:10 PM »
Makes sense, AA will be hogging 1 core so the other core will handle all the OS and driver stuff.

Not to mention architecture changes. Comparing a Intel Quad Core 45nm CPU to a Pentium 4 of the same speed, the Quad Core will be faster, even if you disable 3 of it's cores. CPU's increase in speed but they also increase in efficiency, newer ones are faster clock for clock.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday, February 17, 2012, 15:13:35 PM »
Yep, clocks only mean something in the same model of cpu's (the higher the better).

But clocks mean almost nothing when comparing different models of cpu's...
Keep Cool

Offline soupcakes

• no soup for 4 U!
    • View Profile
  • AA: soul
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 05:12:18 AM »
off topic, very nice fix on the ingame menu.. i was content before, but major fix alot of people wanted. just wanted to say thanks again
You gotta have a nuclear soul
To melt down all your sorrowful load
And you gotta have a mercury soul
To weigh down any glimmer of gold

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »
off topic, very nice fix on the ingame menu.. i was content before, but major fix alot of people wanted. just wanted to say thanks again
What? It's fixed? I will try.
Keep Cool

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, February 18, 2012, 19:42:12 PM »
wtf is up with this "keep cool" in every single one of your posts...

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager