Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: I'm interested in everyone's opinion if you think he sometimes uses cheating  (Read 3988 times)

TomHighway64 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
First of all, thank your for Bart for putting in the work and finding out what's happening. It's great we still have someone on the team who's dedicated enough to do this!

And to be honest, in hindsight (20-20, eh), I should have been on top of looking at the two accounts as soon as this was posted. It would have been relatively clear that they were playing on the same IP right away. Even if nothing in the original post would suggest that, it should be an obvious way of gaining an advantage and should have been checked quicker.
So I do think there's room for me (or us?) to improve here.

As for the punishment. I certainly understand that some people may be upset that he'd be allowed back in a couple of weeks. After all, what he did was seriously disruptive for the other people playing this game.
But I do think we need to understand that this sort of cheating is not as severe as using a third party tool. It's certainly more severe than playing with a friend and the friend shouting out enemy locations on discord (or similar) - we wouldn't really even interfere in this - since they went out of their way to deploy 2 computers next to each other to gain an advantage. However, it's not like they weren't altering the game itself.
So if (and I know this may be a lot to ask for some of you) we agree that there are worse forms of cheating, the punishment for this one would need to also fall below those worse forms of cheating.
And we might also want to keep players who are interested in playing in the game rather than forcing them out permanently. Though - as alluded to by others - many would probably prefer not to play with him in the future regardless. And this may thus be counterproductive.

And to an extent, I would agree that banning the main account (the one that gained in K/D) could be a suitable punishment. But I've not looked into the logs enough to tell if that would have been warranted or not. Plus, we're probably somewhat still not used to tracking (and therefore K/D whoring) being a part of the game again, so the idea of removing the account because of that might not have originally come up because of that.

But perhaps most importantly, I'd say it would be a little dubious to go back and change the punishment on the same action after the fact. Though if this were to happen again, the punishment would surely be more sever than it was now.

All in all, great work, Bart! Thanks for keeping people honest!
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Online TomHighway64

All well and good . I guess you can all pat yourselves on the back although when I  made this video and it was posted and suggested he was cheating I was pretty met with a Brick wall from most people keen to say he was clean and his game play suggested nothing untoward he was a Pro ( Whatever that really means( Won tournaments etc etc etc LoL !
 He clearly was tracking people across maps and scoring highly on a regular basis with very little deaths . A few other players supported my feelings and thankfully Bart has investigated more deeply and my feelings were proven to be correct rather than being labelled a continuous Cheat caller . Cheers

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager