Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: High Ping  (Read 4340 times)

Offline R[-.^@XE^

High Ping
« on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 13:00:49 PM »
When will people understand that a player with high ping has no effect on your server.

Yes there may be times if they have a very high ping that the play could become a bit glitchy but this does not effect the server itself only the players game play, it can be just as hard to shoot another player if you have high ping as it can be to be hit.

The real issue here that people fail to understand is ping is determined by the distance from the server the players ISP is.

I have been playing AA for 8 years and in all that time i have never had a ping lower than 60, you may ask, well i am from Australia and anyone gaming from down here always has higher than normal pings.

Just try explain this to some admins that have no idea, i was playing on the AA Slovenija server tonight and after being kicked twice i asked why and when i was told high ping i tried to explain that there was nothing i could do.

Lets just say they decided to name ban me instead of trying to understand, but hey that's fine.

Just thought i would post this for any other decent admin on other servers to advise that if you see high ping maybe ask a few questions first before you take action.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 13:21:21 PM by R[-.^@XE^ »

Offline wickid

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
Re: High Ping
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 13:04:54 PM »
i agree alot don't understand about ping

high ping will effect the player NOT the server

Offline zoxee

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 13:28:55 PM »
That was a moving post... Australians are also human beings,
they have the right to play like everybody else  :D :D <3
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 21, 2012, 15:35:48 PM »
well, if they won't unban you, find anothe place to play :/ sad but true.

I will join there with my 80 ping, ban me and you will feel my RAGEEEEEEEEEEE lol
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline kMx

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, July 24, 2012, 18:39:38 PM »
true , some ppl think that those wiith high ping will lag the server thats incorrect

Mia Cop

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, April 23, 2016, 17:47:10 PM »
Does my ping have any influence on server while i am playing in the game with high ping?

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, April 23, 2016, 17:51:44 PM »
It shouldn't affect the server, but you will be kind of harder to shoot at, aside of the obvious effect on your shooting.

http://aao25.com/forum/general-chat-90/high-ping/msg30219/#msg30219

Mia Cop

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, April 23, 2016, 17:55:39 PM »
It shouldn't affect the server, but you will be kind of harder to shoot at, aside of the obvious effect on your shooting.

http://aao25.com/forum/general-chat-90/high-ping/msg30219/#msg30219

Thank you Koden.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, April 23, 2016, 18:11:31 PM »
I didnt notice _any_ technical information in this thread. Could you refer to something more concrete, Koden?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?382701-Does-a-client-with-high-ping-affect-other-clients-on-the-server

Are we talking about any server or a specific server, btw? As I already wrote, high ping will make you harder to be hit, and that might not be a big deal if you're the only one on the server, but if you have around 5 or 6 players with a ping higher than 150/180 over a total of 24, most people will surely have issues with hitting these 5/6...and the server will likely have nothing to do with it.

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Vegeta
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, April 23, 2016, 18:17:08 PM »
 it was Nomad server
Words are great possed but the tune is crap. A condeming fear strikes down
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
Laying your guilt and pain. On people that had no part in the molding of a life
That creates its destruction. Lies. Right before your very eyes
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension. Thriving on your cliche. Compelled by self-resentment
Reaching into the minds of those that created. The depression in which they
In which they drowned their flesh and blood. Lies. So easy to blame the
Everlasting fear on a pathetic attempt. To justify the ending of life. Lies
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny
Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension. Thriving on your cliche. Compelled by self-resentment

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, April 24, 2016, 10:41:41 AM »
When will people understand that a player with high ping has no effect on your server.

Yes there may be times if they have a very high ping that the play could become a bit glitchy but this does not effect the server itself only the players game play, it can be just as hard to shoot another player if you have high ping as it can be to be hit.

The real issue here that people fail to understand is ping is determined by the distance from the server the players ISP is.

I have been playing AA for 8 years and in all that time i have never had a ping lower than 60, you may ask, well i am from Australia and anyone gaming from down here always has higher than normal pings.

Just try explain this to some admins that have no idea, i was playing on the AA Slovenija server tonight and after being kicked twice i asked why and when i was told high ping i tried to explain that there was nothing i could do.

Lets just say they decided to name ban me instead of trying to understand, but hey that's fine.

Just thought i would post this for any other decent admin on other servers to advise that if you see high ping maybe ask a few questions first before you take action.

+1

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, April 24, 2016, 10:46:52 AM »
Merged the 2 topics...they had the same title (the former one was about 4 years old).

Offline Galle

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, April 24, 2016, 12:03:19 PM »
It is true that players own ping don't influence on server. But ping has effect how other people see you and can hit you. When some player has a high ping it is sometimes very hard to hit him precisely. I have see that some server owners kick high ping players because that reason in numerous FPS games that I have played.

I have especially felt this while playing Counter Strike back in the days. Trying to tap accurate headshots to high ping players was sometimes impossible because they were warpping. Sometimes even clear chest shot from few meters away didn't hit because that player had big ping. So I can see why some server owners kicked high ping player because it effects to the games enjoyment. But in game like assist25 which in many players come from many different countrys to play in one same server and have big pings should not be kicked.
Lasse Kukkonen, is there any better?

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, April 24, 2016, 16:16:52 PM »
It is true that players own ping don't influence on server. But ping has effect how other people see you and can hit you. When some player has a high ping it is sometimes very hard to hit him precisely. I have see that some server owners kick high ping players because that reason in numerous FPS games that I have played.

I have especially felt this while playing Counter Strike back in the days. Trying to tap accurate headshots to high ping players was sometimes impossible because they were warpping. Sometimes even clear chest shot from few meters away didn't hit because that player had big ping. So I can see why some server owners kicked high ping player because it effects to the games enjoyment. But in game like assist25 which in many players come from many different countrys to play in one same server and have big pings should not be kicked.
Comparing different games can be a tricky thing. It really depends on whether the "hit" is determined on the server side or client side. While most games will probably do the latter, I've seen games that deal with the former. That would mean if you have a high ping you  could just go to a room full of enemies, shoot at all of them and kill them and only then will your client realize they shot you as well. And everybody dies. Was a very odd game...

As for AA, It's like Koden pointed out, you will be a bit harder to hit at times and you will most definitely have a harder time hitting others, but it will have no effect on 2 players with low ping fighting each other.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, April 24, 2016, 17:03:20 PM »
We're talking about an issue that has no solution...different games might take a different way around the problem, but it is a bit like foreseeing the future...you can put math and probability at work to predict things a little in the closest future, any more than that and you would be pretending to be a wizard.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager