Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Community  (Read 26394 times)

Offline Ganja

Re: Community
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 12:43:46 PM »
We see how long it last, and changes needed u want them or not.

What does that even mean ?

This sounds like: I decide there must be changes, because I know everything about the game, so I don't care wheter you like it or not. Which is kinda arrogant. Correct me if I'm wrong

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

« Reply #121 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 13:15:00 PM »
Just saying that you are an old schooler and changes that needs to be changed wont bother you in any way. In which you are wrong. Once again we open topic, and some old schooler comes up opens his mouth that everything is okay for a few days, no, because eventually we will come back to it and discussion is getting boring now because i don't see any movement. Ganja will you take all responsibility to leave this as it is? I bet we come to this again:)

You and merlin simply against this now...as u see some progress, like we did see progress when player base was growing it went back to normal...so if we leave as it is we will come back to this and i didnt open a topic for 9 pages long to get an answer leave it as it is.... even tho I believe this will be ignored of what u said since the reason is obvious of whats causing in this community. Yet i know its up to eliz to make this decision:)
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 13:20:48 PM by ArmyAntiCheat »

Offline Alex

« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 13:16:29 PM »
As far as individual server rules, the majority of them could easily be implemented globally. The majority of the ones I've seen are don't be an ass, don't spam for the first 30 seconds and stuff like that. Those should be standard rules.

I'm just thinking here in terms of ease of implementation. Remove or empty banlist periodically on Assist and let server admins present a case against a player for a ban issued by Assist admins. It's a whole lot simpler than allowing access for server admins to ban for 2 weeks wherever they see fit. What happens after the 2 weeks is up? They could just ban again. Whereas if it's more of a public witchhunt and non-biased neutral Assist admins can accept/deny the case for a ban, it's a lot simpler. Might bring more people to this website as well.
I don't like the idea of forcing a bunch of rules on server owners though.

Offline Ganja

« Reply #123 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 13:28:07 PM »
Just saying that you are an old schooler and changes that needs to be changed wont bother you in any way. In which you are wrong. Once again we open topic, and some old schooler comes up opens his mouth that everything is okay for a few days, no, because eventually we will come back to it and discussion is getting boring now because i don't see any movement. Ganja will you take all responsibility to leave this as it is? I bet we come to this again:)

You and merlin simply against this now...as u see some progress, like we did see progress when player base was growing it went back to normal...so if we leave as it is we will come back to this and i didnt open a topic for 9 pages long to get an answer leave it as it is.... even tho I believe this will be ignored of what u said since the reason is obvious of whats causing in this community. Yet i know its up to eliz to make this decision:)

Did you even read peoples replies? Some people have come up with quiet good ideas, it's still being discussed as you see. And how am I wrong? I stated that I was able to play 13 maps in 2 days, which is obviously a progress, so I believe we're on a good way regarding the maps that are played

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

« Reply #124 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 13:36:41 PM »
Can't be bothered to quote so i say it again, 2 days is not enough and this wont last long... I agree with zoxxe ideas, dont worry i didnt miss any of them.

You say you played 13 maps in 2 days, well done with your achievement, but what makes me angry is your opinion to leave everything as it is as you see 2 day progress...

Offline Alex

« Reply #125 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 13:53:01 PM »
Can't be bothered to quote so i say it again, 2 days is not enough and this wont last long... I agree with zoxxe ideas, dont worry i didnt miss any of them.

You say you played 13 maps in 2 days, well done with your achievement, but what makes me angry is your opinion to leave everything as it is as you see 2 day progress...
The thing is, it all depends on the players. We can't force them to play other maps, so we're trying to get enough people together to try to encourage players to play different maps. It's been working pretty well over here on the NA side. On Monday's and Tuesdays for the last 2 weeks we've player AA3 Alley, AA3 Impact, SF Blizzard, SF Water Treatment, mAAp City Block, mAAp Square, SF PCR, 285 Interdiction, AA3 Shantytown, and some others I can't quite remember.

The point is, if you take the initiative to try to start a server that plays different maps, people usually do join. You just need around 3 people to get things started, at least that's how it is for the NA side.

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Vegeta
« Reply #126 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:00:19 PM »
I don't like the idea of forcing a bunch of rules on server owners though.

Well you have forced other thinhs on ppl whither they wanted it or not.

Any way. I dont see what harm would be in, agreing in some basic simple standard rules.
No 203s in 1st 30 secs etc
Words are great possed but the tune is crap. A condeming fear strikes down
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
Laying your guilt and pain. On people that had no part in the molding of a life
That creates its destruction. Lies. Right before your very eyes
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension. Thriving on your cliche. Compelled by self-resentment
Reaching into the minds of those that created. The depression in which they
In which they drowned their flesh and blood. Lies. So easy to blame the
Everlasting fear on a pathetic attempt. To justify the ending of life. Lies
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny
Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension. Thriving on your cliche. Compelled by self-resentment

Offline Alex

« Reply #127 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:01:39 PM »
Well you have forced other thinhs on ppl whither they wanted it or not.

Any way. I dont see what harm would be in, agreing in some basic simple standard rules.
No 203s in 1st 30 secs etc
Like what? Care to elaborate? A lot of the features implemented had public votes to see if players wanted it.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:04:15 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline SASF-DarkShooter

• Respected Members
  • Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:10:59 PM »
To me, implementing global rules is impossible. For me, people renting a server should have complete freedom in what they want to do with it. If that includes mods, they get untracked. What would you do with servers that don't enforce certain rules, e.g. the no spam in the first 30 seconds one?

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 14:42:20 PM »
To me, implementing global rules is impossible. For me, people renting a server should have complete freedom in what they want to do with it. If that includes mods, they get untracked. What would you do with servers that don't enforce certain rules, e.g. the no spam in the first 30 seconds one?
This. actually you can run 'custom' mods, but without tracking stats/honor.
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #130 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 15:27:22 PM »
This. actually you can run 'custom' mods, but without tracking stats/honor.
That's what he said, it would get untracked.

I've refrained from writing in this thread again for a while now, but oh well.

I certainly understand people's frustration about the maps being played (which is not many different ones most of the time). I can also appreciate all the wonderful input and suggestions that have been brought up in this thread.

However, most (if not all) of the suggestions require more work for us administrators. And while we're not here just to 'idle', giving volunteers more work doesn't seem like a good idea, everyone here has a life outside the game as well.

And I'm not talking about work needed to make some of the suggestions happen (coding), but rather the day-to-day operations that are bound to come from those things.

I am also of the opinion that forcing people to play a certain way (i.e play more maps/maps they don't like) is not a good way to go. I would guess most (not all!) map whores who come online and don't see their map played would rather not play than play a map they don't know/like.

And that's why it seems to me, that like Ganja said, we're doing a decent job in advertising different maps to be played. Those who want to do it, can; others will still probably have a server on the mainstream maps. There's nothing that can be done about that.

Like has been said, implementing the same rules for all servers is next to impossible. Not to mention, different maps would require different rules. In some maps 203 spam is an issue, in others it would be dumb not to be able to shoot 203s before 30 seconds (i.e you would be able to see enemies before that time is up). Plus, like I said it would mean the Assist admins would have to 'admin' that stuff as well (make sure they're obeying the rules, punish those who don't and so on).

As for forcing people on things whether they wanted it or not, you're right in a sense. There has almost always been a vote before a change to the game/gameplay. And I'm pretty sure not one of them has come up unanimous, so there are obviously some people who didn't get what they wanted. Not to mention the fact that some of the changes were implemented before the Assist poll was introduced, thus it's possible the voters may have been biased.

I know our player base is low and it has been higher at times. But that doesn't mean radical changes would increase our player base. People just don't like change. At all. An example I always love to bring is when the devs tried to 'fix' the 'roof bug' on SF Hospital. People just came complaining and it had to be changed back. It wasn't because it was a particularly bad change (it might have been, I don't know, but that's not why people disputed it), it was that something changed and people don't like that.

Now lets all do whatever we can do bring back old or bring forth new players and let's start from ourselves when talking about map diversity. There's plenty of people talking here, but how many can really say they play as many maps as they can every day? I know I can't.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline zoxee

« Reply #131 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 16:03:28 PM »
Good conclusion.
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline natoorrussia

« Reply #132 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 17:03:51 PM »
However, most (if not all) of the suggestions require more work for us administrators. And while we're not here just to 'idle', giving volunteers more work doesn't seem like a good idea, everyone here has a life outside the game as well.

If you are not willing to spend your private time on administrating, then give up your role to someone more eager and appropriate. It's that simple.

E.g. it looks like Ganja would be a good candidate. He spends 90% of his time on AA, so he would have no problem with doing admin's work.

I am also of the opinion that forcing people to play a certain way (i.e play more maps/maps they don't like) is not a good way to go. I would guess most (not all!) map whores who come online and don't see their map played would rather not play than play a map they don't know/like.

You are 100% correct, even thinking about forcing someone to play maps he doesn't like is just ridiculous.

Like has been said, implementing the same rules for all servers is next to impossible. [...]

As I already mentioned, hard rules for all servers are not necessary. Just do _anything_ about power-misusing owners, and it will be a huge step.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #133 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 17:15:40 PM »
If you are not willing to spend your private time on administrating, then give up your role to someone more eager and appropriate. It's that simple.
I'm not saying I don't want to put in the time here, I do, I want to help as much as I can. What I'm saying is, since the admin team is voluntary, the best case would be not to have too much work for them, because believe it or not, the majority of people don't want to put their time in for anything voluntarily.

As for abusive admins, as of now there's little we can do, but who knows what the future might hold.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline natoorrussia

« Reply #134 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 17:30:55 PM »
I'm not saying I don't want to put in the time here, I do, I want to help as much as I can. What I'm saying is, since the admin team is voluntary, the best case would be not to have too much work for them, because believe it or not, the majority of people don't want to put their time in for anything voluntarily.

Of course solutions that involve tedious manual work are bad.

But hey, this shouldn't be something new to you guys. All this management of "1 account only" rule is already tons of manual work now. Just look at "can someone active my account, please" messages in shoutbox - they are appearing every day.

As for abusive admins, as of now there's little we can do, but who knows what the future might hold.

If you would admit that "we don't want to do nothing about it", I would be ok (from a logic point of view).

But you have written "there's little we can do". That's an obviously false statement. I'm dissapointed to hear that from a person that is involved in math.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 17:34:12 PM by natoorrussia »

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager