Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Integration of AA-Watcher?  (Read 3802 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Integration of AA-Watcher?
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 18:22:42 PM »
The problem is, sometimes when games are alt+tabbed or minimized, you don't hear sounds played in-game. AA has that problem and all the sounds are played when focus is returned. That's why I think it's more elegant to do it in Assist where we can have a taskbar popup near the Windows clock and alert people.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Saltuarius

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 18:28:21 PM »
the sound was never ingame, it was always made from the watcher-tool outside on desktop...

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 19:12:13 PM »
I've never used the program so I don't know. I also think the less that's done in-game, the better. Remember, all the code will be added to AA to bloat it down. Keep it in Assist to balance CPU usage. There can be an elegant popup and/or sound in Assist. It's very easy to query the server and get round time left.

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 02:25:38 AM »
Mod-based solution is inelengant because... it's a mod. Assist-based solution is inelegant because it has to use polling.

Anyway, I initially will make it solely in assist, and later will try to improve it, if necessary.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 02:34:46 AM »
Pit, if the server browser in Assist has it's auto-refresh disabled (not sure if it currently does or not) while the player is in-game, then the bandwidth used to query the server is balanced out. Not that the small communication matters anyway :)

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 03:28:05 AM »
Pit, if the server browser in Assist has it's auto-refresh disabled (not sure if it currently does or not) while the player is in-game, then the bandwidth used to query the server is balanced out. Not that the small communication matters anyway :)

I'm not that worried about bandwidth, I know that we could probably get away even with 1 per second querying. I just meant, that polling is always worse than notification.

I think we agree Spanky. I didn't like the mod variant right from the beginning, I just noted one advantage of it (no polling).

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager