Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: AA2.5 PUGS  (Read 7985 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: AA2.5 PUGS
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 14:03:41 PM »
Let me see if I get this;
You're wanting a chatroom where once there's 8 people, teams are generated and you get sent in-game to a passworded server?

The only person that could implement something into Assist is Pit. Assist as it is doesn't have a way (as far as I know, due to the new Auth) to externally launch the game, authenticate properly and join a server. You would have to actually launch Assist and join the PUG server like you would any other server.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline k!cker

• View Profile
  • AA: k!cker
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 14:11:29 PM »
Let me see if I get this;
You're wanting a chatroom where once there's 8 people, teams are generated and you get sent in-game to a passworded server?

The only person that could implement something into Assist is Pit. Assist as it is doesn't have a way (as far as I know, due to the new Auth) to externally launch the game, authenticate properly and join a server. You would have to actually launch Assist and join the PUG server like you would any other server.

Instead of implementing it into Assist do you think you could make a web based thing on AAO25 that does the same thing?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 15:42:46 PM »
Instead of implementing it into Assist do you think you could make a web based thing on AAO25 that does the same thing?

I could easily make a web based thing. I built the shoutbox (backend, Jared made it pretty) and the server list page. Problem is, joining a server. Assist does extra communications that weren't done before. Before you could just go like armyops://64.126.161.69?pass=blah or something. But now there's extra talk to the Auth server and without that, you couldn't join any server that runs on auth.

There COULD be a way to do it but I don't know enough about Assist to rummage through the source code to find out how to build an extension for it. I don't see why Jonny would have implemented such a feature to authenticate outside of Assist though.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 15:46:37 PM »
add a 25Assist:// protocol
edit, that protocol will open assist & assist will auth the player
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 15:48:50 PM by Possessed »
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 15:56:34 PM »
add a 25Assist:// protocol
edit, that protocol will open assist & assist will auth the player

That would be a good way to do it, that way it still uses Assist instead of allowing 3rd party programs to bypass hardware ID bans and other protection. Unfortunately, this has to be coded in Assist so we have to wait for Pit to see this and give some feedback.

Offline Maxbulldog_53

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 16:01:45 PM »
you would need aao25 to talk to assist so it would require coding on both ends, which is much more difficult then its worth, when you have half a dozen methods of telling people when and what server to play a 4v4 but god forbid you have to load up assist and find the server like a neanderthal

the point is that we already have a crapload of ways to do this. The point is what about those people that we dont know that we cant get in contact with? With something like this implemented its all right there so anyone can join whenever they want. Also betters things because you arent playing with the same 8 people all the time.
I need teepee for my bunghole!

Xfire----maxifymecaptain

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1696/mouseyo.gif[/img]

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • "I got soul but i'm not a soldier..."
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
  • AA: [PTwars]b!6
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 19:29:04 PM »
There's an easier way. Create a public TS3, PUG TS, all players wanting to pug join it, usual and responsible players get SA so they can move players around channels for each team.

I know it just like they do on the Thursday Night Fights,  but hey, it works...
"Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth"?
Hmm?

https://vortexservers.com/clients/aff.php?aff=406

Offline k!cker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 20:23:11 PM »
I know I'm asking a lot when asking for something to be made for this but the whole point of it is to make it be available at all times. I don't want to sit in TS like I have to with TNF and move people around, set the server up and advertise to get people into TS. Some of the things I mentioned to some people earlier on TS while explaining what I thought of is if whatever is made be able to control the game server as well like randomizing the password everytime there is a new match, switching to a map that was voted on or randomized. With all this being said I would love Assist to run with the idea, AA pugs were a big deal back in the day and could bring a lot of attention back to the game.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 21:23:51 PM »
It could be done on the web or in Assist itself but the main problem is that Assist doesn't support external protocols yet. Until it does... not much any of us can do.

With that said, maybe someone could explain to me how a randomized 4v4 is better than random players in a full server? Logic tells me, you're wanting to take longer to get into the game AND play with less people. Why?

Offline k!cker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 21:46:01 PM »
It could be done on the web or in Assist itself but the main problem is that Assist doesn't support external protocols yet. Until it does... not much any of us can do.

With that said, maybe someone could explain to me how a randomized 4v4 is better than random players in a full server? Logic tells me, you're wanting to take longer to get into the game AND play with less people. Why?

The whole point of PUGs was to simulate a 4v4 competition environment and it's pretty much standard for any league or ladder to be played as a 4v4 but all in all it's just a good way to practice with different people.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 22:07:11 PM »
Don't you get competition in a full server? Can't you practice against different people in a full server?

Offline k!cker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 22:21:18 PM »
Like I said a PUG is to simulate a 4v4 environment. Just like any major league or ladder was 4v4 is the standard form for match play.

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • "I got soul but i'm not a soldier..."
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
  • AA: [PTwars]b!6
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 22:34:27 PM »
Like I said a PUG is to simulate a 4v4 environment. Just like any major league or ladder was 4v4 is the standard form for match play.

But you would still need a TS or any other voice program t organize yourself during the fight. Not saying it's a bad idea, i just think there are priority things, like try to detect the new cheats out there, other banning system that can complement this one. Correct bugs, or even reduce flash time. After all that is a nice idea...
"Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth"?
Hmm?

https://vortexservers.com/clients/aff.php?aff=406

Offline k!cker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 22:55:35 PM »
But you would still need a TS or any other voice program t organize yourself during the fight. Not saying it's a bad idea, i just think there are priority things, like try to detect the new cheats out there, other banning system that can complement this one. Correct bugs, or even reduce flash time. After all that is a nice idea...

If you all could get something like this going I would provide servers and teamspeaks but I do agree about making Assist cleaner and better.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 23:04:12 PM »
I'm wondering now, how would you randomize teams with an application URL? Does anybody know all the variables you can use for launching AA? I'm talking command line switches. I could make a site for this but I'm thinking it might be better to do it all in Assist and with mods that randomize teams and generates a server password.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager