Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Red Orchestra 2 - Heroes of Stalingrad  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
Red Orchestra 2 - Heroes of Stalingrad
« on: Monday, December 26, 2011, 07:00:57 AM »
So, lately i was looking at closely at RO2 both because of personal interest and for AA2 issues (late ones), and then yesterday GetGames dropped the price -> therefore pushing me to buy it - Steam Syndrome i know.

Did someone bought buy the game/played the beta? I'm just giving a try on this game, as i like the more "realistic" approach (you know, less CallofDutish).

On one hand the game looks very interesting, with vehicle support, squad roles attribution, faithful weapons reproduction and such, while on the other hand if you take a look at the official forums there's a bug report section populated with a good amount of reports (yet the average forum chatting is very respectful - not something you see everywhere).

p.s. sorry if my english sounds a little wierd sometimes - I'm italian actually.
« Last Edit: Monday, December 26, 2011, 07:07:09 AM by Koden »

Offline Alex

Re: Red Orchestra 2 - Heroes of Stalingrad
« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 26, 2011, 13:44:25 PM »
I wrote a review for the game on this site.
http://hsc.natescomp.com/reviews/red-orchestra-2-heroes-of-stalingrad/

I really like it. It is much different from your average BF/CoD generic run n' gun shooters. I can be frustrating at times and it takes a while to adapt to the gameplay, but it is really fun when you do. Also, I have yet to be on a team where at least 1 person doesn't have a mic, which is always a good thing. There is friendly fire in the game and your allies aren't lit up with green names from far away so communication is important.
« Last Edit: Monday, December 26, 2011, 21:45:47 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 26, 2011, 16:01:47 PM »
Killaman, was that post just so epic and full of win that you had to quote yourself? :P

p.s. sorry if my english sounds a little wierd sometimes - I'm italian actually.

Mamma Mia!

But really, pay attention to Killaman's reviews. There's literally everything you need to know or could want to know in them.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Alex

« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 26, 2011, 21:30:27 PM »
Killaman, was that post just so epic and full of win that you had to quote yourself? :P

;D Was supposed to be an edit.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 04:19:00 AM »
I wrote a review for the game on this site.
http://hsc.natescomp.com/reviews/red-orchestra-2-heroes-of-stalingrad/

I really like it. It is much different from your average BF/CoD generic run n' gun shooters. I can be frustrating at times and it takes a while to adapt to the gameplay, but it is really fun when you do. Also, I have yet to be on a team where at least 1 person doesn't have a mic, which is always a good thing. There is friendly fire in the game and your allies aren't lit up with green names from far away so communication is important.

Thank you for the link, i didn't saw your review indeed. Well i started playing within a couple hours and it feels a bit frustrating but still, it's fun. Some maps are truly wide open, i'm not really used to that kind of open areas (tho i'm able to get through somehow :) ).
About game performance, i love the graphics but it doesn't run great on my x4 620. I don't know if it's whether for it being AMD or for the game not being optimized at its best. However, it surely looks beautiful at the highest settings.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 12:42:12 PM »
Koden, it's totally not because you have an AMD CPU. They're just as capable as Intel :) Some Northbridge overclocking would help over-all system speed. I would bet it's your 9600GT though.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 14:14:36 PM »
Koden, it's totally not because you have an AMD CPU. They're just as capable as Intel :) Some Northbridge overclocking would help over-all system speed. I would bet it's your 9600GT though.

Yeah i'm not that cpu racist yet to underestimate my little 620. Still i was expecting RO to run a little better. Anyway, i've tried to bump speeds a little and on medium it is fairly decent in smaller maps. The 9600 struggles but keeps rocking - i'm trying several graphics settings to see what fits best. Oh, and i've overclocked here both Cpu and northbridge, i set the Athlon to run between 3.3 @ 1.375 (for a daily use - kept a setting like this for some months in the past, it's stable and works just fine - on the stock cooler). I don't overclock the poor 9600 because she's already short on memory (at least one memory chip seems to have at least a small kind of damage). To my defence i gotta say that i've bought it used at 35 euros :P it was a decent bargain back then. And it works pretty much fine when not overclocked.

About the game, i've started learning something, coming from games that are short-ranged action based it feels wierd but after you get that there's a truly different pace it makes some sense. I agree about the need for communicating because in a team where there's no coordinating having a tactic is going to be pretty hard - unless you have a smaller map where you're going to be able to cover a good part of it by your own (e.g. something like Hospital, the Bridge or even Pipeline from AA2). Something i miss in fact is recognizing key ways/places that are important to control for both tactics and mission completing.

[/smallwalloftextendshere]
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 14:28:35 PM by Koden »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 15:12:25 PM »
Not that I want to derail the thread and turn it into a diagnostic thread but...

OCCT has a good GPU memory tester in it. You can verify if your GPU is faulty. If it is, I would suggest baking it in an oven for a bit to see if that helps. In any event, you should try to overclock it, it really boosts performance :)

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager