Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Website improvements  (Read 26994 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Website improvements
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 00:15:27 AM »
This is laughable really. I was open to a mod or two at first, or some organization ideas but this... this whole "oh fuck your code and the time you put into it, I can do something better from scratch by jamming pre-made code together" it's laughable.

I'm done with AA, I'm done with this community. I've given way too much to this game and it seems like everything I've put a lot of effort into, everybody shits on it. If you guys want a new site, you better get some web hosting. Whoever wants the AAO25.com domain, I'll be happy to setup some kind of a transfer.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 01:38:13 AM »
The CMS causes memory to fill and quit. Sourcceforge wont allocate more memory, so no concrete5. I was kind of hoping to mod its code if it got installed, guess not. Looks like we're gonna have to use SSI + SMF since that's what's been working so far.

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: Avguste
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 01:46:48 AM »
This is laughable really. I was open to a mod or two at first, or some organization ideas but this... this whole "oh fuck your code and the time you put into it, I can do something better from scratch by jamming pre-made code together" it's laughable.

I'm done with AA, I'm done with this community. I've given way too much to this game and it seems like everything I've put a lot of effort into, everybody shits on it. If you guys want a new site, you better get some web hosting. Whoever wants the AAO25.com domain, I'll be happy to setup some kind of a transfer.

Spanky, take a deep breath.
I am suggesting ideas. It is up to you guys to decide what to use or not.

The site is definitely very good, but anything to attract more players is good in my book. In any case, whatever you guys decide.

To Blue

That is not a surprise. Sourceforge is not meant for that type of hosting. Try Joomla and see what you get.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 02:00:02 AM »
Spanky, take a deep breath.

I actually was quite calm when I wrote that. Looking back on it, I still mean every word. Nothing against you or Blue, I'm just tired of the game in more ways than one.

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • "I got soul but i'm not a soldier..."
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
  • AA: [PTwars]b!6
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 07:37:05 AM »
*Sigh* and so everyone now wants to leave...
Guys, the hard part is done... It's your project, it's always your call.

I wanna say this, if it wasn't you guys we wouldn't never had the chance to play America's Army again. And so we owe you a lot, despite some people have a hard way to show it...

Now related with this topic, what August want is to promote the game. All current players i could bet that are like 97% old players that already knew the game and that's alright but they wanna promote the game to other people, people that never heard about it before, and that is gonna be a hard job because even realistic it's a old game.
We already have the Support Forums and they were made for that, Support. People wanna promote the game, so why not get in touch with Brussels and help him with this site:
http://aao2.com/

It's already linking to this forums as support and for download, but all the info, videos can and should be there.
"Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth"?
Hmm?

https://vortexservers.com/clients/aff.php?aff=406

Offline Calevey

• View Profile
    • SASF Clan
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 07:55:39 AM »
Where do you exactly need any CMS when you got a working site already? I don't see the point changing the system when you can just update what you already have.
- Getting old, cold and slow -

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 09:16:11 AM »

Come on Spanky. If you don't like those ideas, just say 'no'. Why should one person coming and proposing something make you quit?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 10:49:07 AM »
The enjoyment is long gone for me. I haven't had fun in-game in a LONG time and the thrill of making maps has dwindled thanks to the lack of use by the community. For the website, there was nothing but complaints when we released it. I've tried to make something decent for the community but obviously I failed. I'm done wasting my time for this game. If you guys want to make a new site, I'll have no hard feelings.

Jared

« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 10:52:59 AM »
I'm with nate,

Try Joomla and see what you get.

That's enough right there to make me quit.

--
All of the original people for this project put a lot of time and effort into things and the community is ungrateful, its shown over and over again in this forum.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 10:57:43 AM »
I'm out! Good luck without Jonny, Jared & me guys!

Offline Ganja

« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 12:27:19 PM »

I respect your idea but this ...

Good luck without Jonny, Jared & me guys!

... sounds a bit childish

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »
Well think about it, Jonny made all of this possible. Everything. Now he's done and that drive, motivation and knowledge is gone. I'm confident in Pit but I don't see the same driving attitude. Jared's done and he's the best designer here without a doubt. With me being done, it's not really a loss to the community.

There's others that can and have stepped up to fill in the voids but we'll see how well they will continue the project. That's why I said good luck.

Jared

« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 13:01:04 PM »
I respect your idea but this ...

... sounds a bit childish

Don't think so, he has ever right to call the community out. You guys don't understand that this was started like 4 years ago if not more.

Then to come here and bitch and sob about what you don't like is a huge turn off, there's a difference between constructive criticism and flat out bitching.

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 13:08:59 PM »
Hmm, very unfortunate thing.

So what is the status of the website now? Does anyone still take care of it now? Blue?

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: Avguste
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 13:22:22 PM »
Guys, I am not bitching or complaining. If I offended anyone, my apologies.
I am just putting down ideas to hopefully help grow Assist and the community.
To grow the community, we need to be open minded and willing to look outside the box.

Let me also say this. This is not about power grabbing or power struggle.The whole community is thankful and appreciates what was done by Jonny, Spanky, Jared, Blue and others.  We are all thankful and appreciative.

What the issue is about is growing the community. Get new blood in. And as far as I am concerned all means are good.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager