Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Suggestions for Sound/Shadow Improvement in AA --  (Read 9370 times)

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
Re: Suggestions for Sound/Shadow Improvement in AA --
« Reply #30 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 19:59:11 PM »
I thought AA Devs added an option to disable Shadows cause they are buggy and can bee seem through walls and other stuff, wich give advantage and isnt "realistic" :P
and this is a Game/Engine problem :D, as you said the black boxes are just you "exploiting" :P
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: nfy.[BLANK]
« Reply #31 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 21:08:34 PM »
If i remember doesn't this also give you something along the lines of the power strip back in the day? I remember ATI/nvidia cards with certain drivers had the power strip feature, and it would leave a 2 pixel edge on the side of your screen so when you got flashed you could still see.

The 2-pixel edge on the side of your screen, when flashed, is yet another glitch of enabling Alternate Pixel Center on an ATI Card. I remember some folks claiming that they used this, but when I tried it while flashed, it didn't really help, as this line was way too thin. I concluded that I do much better by simply using my memory when flashed (I can be pretty BS at it, too -- muwwhahahah).

Powerstrip was for old CRT monitors, don't think it works well with modern flatscreens

Powerstrip was never all that good to me. Personally, I used to prefer Nvidia's 'Color Correction,' as its features and controls felt like a relatively natural extension of the colors your monitors already produce. Powerstrip, on the other hand, feels as if something is being layered over your monitor. It hurts my feelings -- ESPECIALLY today with my ATI, because I can't do ANY Color Correction at all, as there's some stupid glitch that allows me to change my Desktop colors, but as soon as AA is loaded, those CC settings do not, in any way, affect AA; in fact, it even brings the desktop color back to default. And it's DARK. :-/ In-game gamma-brightness binds, and my monitor's brightness settings, simply aren't enough, but I've long gotten used to this darkness in AA. And worst of all, Powerstrip can't even fix my darkness issue; it does the same thing, so I guess I'm just S-O-L in that respect. :-/

Good point. Moreover, that pixel alternate setting has been removed from recent
catalyst editions.

Many people don't use Catalyst, though. It's too bloated, so, instead, people will opt for ATI Tray Tools. I use ATI Tray Tools; it gives a lot of control over FPS-increasing tweaks, enabling multi-core support, and a whole plethora of other performance settings -- all in a tool that's small, convenient, and straight to the point.

I thought AA Devs added an option to disable Shadows cause they are buggy and can bee seem through walls and other stuff, wich give advantage and isnt "realistic" :P
and this is a Game/Engine problem :D, as you said the black boxes are just you "exploiting" :P

Yeah, they removed the "Full" option for Shadows in versions subsequent to 2.5 (or maybe just 2.7 and onward), because of the big, boxy, wall-glitching shadows exploit. Yes, it's a game-engine problem, but only when it's in conjunction with video cards that, inherently, contain those Alternate-Pixel-Center (and similar) capacities -- which means at least ALL ATI Cards, old and new.

Back in 2005, I had an Nvidia Card (one of the 6000 series, I think the 6200) that has these humongous, boxy shadows. The ATI Cards were the prevailing "It" thing, but my 6000-series Nvidia card produced shadows that were even crazier than any ATI Card, and only two known people -- me and an old British invite player, "Trig" from uNk (Team uNknown) -- had these mythical Nvidia shadows. So it wasn't exclusively an ATI problem, and it still might not be, depending on people's rigs and tools. The best way to deal with this is to disable access to "Full" Shadow Detail. CVAR checks could easily do this, but some players have a difficult time conforming to new CVAR standards. This might frustrate some people who don't check the forums, are not well-versed in figuring out why they got CVAR violations, and haven't ever 'changed' too much about their game. And I would just hope that these players wouldn't give up after receiving their notification to conform to new CVAR standards.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 09:14:55 AM by WORLDCHANCELLOR »

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • "I got soul but i'm not a soldier..."
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
  • AA: [PTwars]b!6
« Reply #32 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 22:50:18 PM »
Cmon, be serious. How many current players using this? That was so old, if 5 or 6 were in fact using it, now that you mentionated it, i bet 20 more will appear. Some stuff is just best left to death...
"Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth"?
Hmm?

https://vortexservers.com/clients/aff.php?aff=406

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: nfy.[BLANK]
« Reply #33 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 23:08:58 PM »
Cmon, be serious. How many current players using this? That was so old, if 5 or 6 were in fact using it, now that you mentionated it, i bet 20 more will appear. Some stuff is just best left to death...

I mean, just the other day, a player was in the server talking, publicly, about how he can see these shadows from across the map. lol -- People talking about these shadows is one of the reasons I even promulgated this whole thing. Plus, as I'm watching many players, I notice that they're watching and responding to things that aren't even there, particularly on the floor. This is how I know people are still using it. And finally, even without the "Full" Shadow Detail+APC glitch, the regular shadows still glitch and can, at times, be seen through the walls, floors, and ceilings. Personally, I'll admit that I don't think it's that much of a factor, but those big, box shadows are. I guess I don't absolutely need ATI Tray Tools, so if we can blacklist having it running with Assist, that could be a viable solution, I suppose.

But I also think we need to talk to Maz3, as he says his big shadows across the map are not the result of Alternate Pixel Center, and that he can still get them, even when set to "Blob." It's never worked this way before, so I'd like to see proof of that. lol - I think he's just pulling my leg with that, but he maintains that he DOES get these BS shadows. I'll find out soon.

This whole thing may be old and all, but the version of AA we're playing is just as old. If there are 5-10 people using this in this small community, that's kind of significant, as these folks will have things on their screen that the majority of players will not, and this is an advantage over them.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 18, 2013, 23:12:49 PM by WORLDCHANCELLOR »

Offline Ganja

« Reply #34 on: Monday, November 18, 2013, 23:19:34 PM »

But I also think we need to talk to Maz3,

Ninjamafia?

Offline world-

• View Profile
  • AA: world-
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 00:27:54 AM »

Im sure more than you think do use it.

Offline zoxee

« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 05:43:42 AM »
All in all, I think that noof made an excellent and honest post on a real problem here..
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager