Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Official map only servers needed  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Leopardi

• View Profile
Official map only servers needed
« on: Monday, January 15, 2024, 01:40:43 AM »
Maybe AAO25.com servers can adjust the maplist to include only official army maps?

It's a frequent complaint - especially amongst new players - who are sorely disappointed when they won't get the original AA experience they are looking for. You have a full server, and then suddenly you are thrown into a poorly performing, primitive looking custom map...

Offline ICON-BoMBer

Re: Official map only servers needed
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 17, 2024, 15:09:38 PM »
The original AA experience died since the start of assist... they decide now.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 18, 2024, 05:34:16 AM »
Thank you for the positive message.

If you don't like what Assist has done, you can either do it better or not participate.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline HellB0Y

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 18, 2024, 11:09:54 AM »

What would remain of the original AA experience if not for Assist? Grainy 360p YouTube videos with no ability to actually play the game?.

Custom maps existed when the army ran the game, as did the ability for server owners / admins to swap to them. Seems to me the most notable difference is accessibility seeing as several custom maps ship with the game so players have the option to stay or leave (as opposed to not being able to load in at all) should the server switch to a custom map.

Finally, the game released 22 years ago now (or thereabouts?). It's no surprise that returning players would want to play the maps they are most familiar with. Conversely, it comes as no surprise that some players who have stuck around may prefer some variety. Rather than advocating for the removal of choice, I would suggest taking initiative and trying to seed one of the many empty servers on a 'classic' map or firing up a server where you can control the map choice. (If memory serves you have a Pipeline exclusive server, anyhow).

As for poorly performing, I mean.. it's 2024 and the game runs well (arguably too well) on modern hardware. Most maps will perform fine on integrated graphics which can't be said for most 3d games of today.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 18, 2024, 11:15:20 AM by HellB0Y »

Offline ICON-BoMBer

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, January 18, 2024, 16:26:17 PM »
Thank you for the positive message.

If you don't like what Assist has done, you can either do it better or not participate.
well it's NOT THE SAME as "ORIGINAL AA". and that's MY opinion...
I can agree you ASSIST-admin do not agree...

I contribute ( with servers, teamspeak,even this website since I knew about it) to this game since 2004 because I love the game. Not the way it's managed... and that's also an opinion.  :up:  :banned:
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 18, 2024, 16:30:27 PM by ICON-BoMBer »

Offline ICON-BoMBer

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, January 18, 2024, 16:31:27 PM »
Original servers are 4 minute rounds... where did you start? at 7 minutes on mout mckenna?

so I totally understand and agree on Leopardi's question.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 18, 2024, 16:40:46 PM by ICON-BoMBer »

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager