Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: 24 hour ban "bug"  (Read 5803 times)

Offline ELiZ

24 hour ban "bug"
« on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 21:10:53 PM »
I've seen numerous people get that 24 hour ban for
Unauthorized Log-in

I'm not quite sure the exact reason to why the detection trigger in all cases.
There can be a whole range of possibilities to why it happens, but basically the AA server queries the Auth server and it says "no".

What we can do is modify how long the ban is or even just kick instead of Kick+Ban.
I'll have to look into why it's set to both at the moment,

What do you think?

Offline ELiZ

Re: 24 hour ban "bug"
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 21:16:06 PM »
This is the function used:
Code: [Select]
Function AddBanee (string banee_descriptor, string banee_type_name, int weeks_to_ban, int days_to_ban, int hours_to_ban, int minutes_to_ban_for, string banee_owner)
{
}
So if I wanted, I could ban for, lets say 5 minutes instead of 24 hours.
That way servers would still be rather protected, and players would still be able to join in a rather short time.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 21:52:01 PM »
What are the reasons that it's triggered? I've gotten it before by (I think...) getting a critical then trying to join again.

If the above is true, perhaps there needs to be more checks for heartbeat in a server as well as checks to make sure the player trying to join a server isn't already there.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 15, 2014, 22:20:48 PM »
What are the reasons that it's triggered? I've gotten it before by (I think...) getting a critical then trying to join again.

If the above is true, perhaps there needs to be more checks for heartbeat in a server as well as checks to make sure the player trying to join a server isn't already there.
If the client CE, it can take some time before the AA server finds out that the client isn't there anymore and not is having network issues, so a heartbeat from the AA server and Auth server would not help in this case.

A possible solution would be to have the Assist client monitor the Armyops executable and send to the Auth server if the process is closed. But in the meantime I think lowering the time from 24 hours ban to a 5 minute ban would helpful to users.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 01:22:50 AM »
I think lowering it to 5 minutes would work.

However, I'm pretty sure there's another 'bug' ban for some weird things where the games says the ban is permanent, while in reality it will be gone in 10-20 minutes...
Not sure of how or when it happens, though.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Bart!

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 01:32:42 AM »
Is there any reason it was ever set to 24 hrs?

If not, set it to 5 minutes

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 02:48:50 AM »
No idea why it was set to 24H, was before my time here.

When the client is told that the ban is permanent, is that by the AA Client or the Assist Client?

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 03:58:51 AM »
Is there any reason to ban at all?
if not, i would like to see only a kick, not a ban.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 04:05:16 AM »
No idea why it was set to 24H, was before my time here.

When the client is told that the ban is permanent, is that by the AA Client or the Assist Client?
It's AA.

And Merlin, the point is not to let people join servers that are not logged in through Assist, because then they could be using all the cheats they wish. The ban, I would guess, is just there to ward them off. 5 minutes is good, because with connection problems (which is often a cause for this), it might take more than that to get it sorted out anyway.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 04:53:42 AM »
but if this is checked "but basically the AA server queries the Auth server and it says "no"." and there is a no, so why a ban? only a kick would be enough, right. so if you have connection problems, you can try 1 minute later and you do not have to wait even 5 minutes.

Offline Vilkas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 05:10:30 AM »
Once you are banned on the server you can get back on it straight away.
The players who gets this ban is not on the ban list whatsoever, the text message says that but the kick command only works. After 1 minute the guy who got apparently banned joined the server :)

Offline Vilkas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 06:23:41 AM »
MD5Tool kick was kicking players today, old pb is causing this, best would be to get rid of it :/

Offline OICURMT2!

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 09:31:49 AM »
but if this is checked "but basically the AA server queries the Auth server and it says "no"." and there is a no, so why a ban? only a kick would be enough, right. so if you have connection problems, you can try 1 minute later and you do not have to wait even 5 minutes.

This is what AAO did... kick only, until you could authorized via the auth servers...
--
Oh, I See You Are Empty Too !

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 09:56:30 AM »
for sure i know there is no entry in the server banlist.
and it's not true, you can not login immediatly. you have to wait, sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes longer.

so back to the point ELiZ is asking - for me a kick would be good, not a ban.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, September 16, 2014, 10:27:44 AM »
Looks like I need more information.

I tried to simulate a CE and rejoin the server.
I would not allow me to do that while the crashed session was still active and had to wait until it times out to be able to join a server. Can anyone find a picture of the Client message?

I'm getting unsure that I know the bug at all.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager