Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Working with Os X system & VirtualBox  (Read 2926 times)

Offline jsable1975

• View Profile
Working with Os X system & VirtualBox
« on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 08:00:47 AM »
Has anyone been able to get Americas Army working on a computer running Os X? I see that the Mac package is a PowerPC application that cannot be ran under the newest incarnation of Os X.

I have the latest version of VirtualBox (4.2.6) installed and I am running Windows XP Pro SP3 with all of the latest updates. I installed AA25 Assist and everything on the "SITREP" tab is green and I have 3D acceleration on the VirtualBox settings turned on. When I run AA25 Assist, I get the splash screen, then nothing happens, the splash screen will appear for over an hour and I have to go into the task manager and kill the ArmyOps.exe process. I was able to find the log file and it appears to not have been modified, showing 0kb in size.

I have since given up on windows, since I have never really liked it to begin with. I installed Ubuntu 12.10 and completed the install of AA25 Assist and I seem to get a little further, everything is green on the "SITREP" tab and when I click to Deploy, I get the the splash screen, then another window opens for a fraction of a second, then disappears. This one I was able to get into the log file and two things I noticed is that 1: One of the lines says "Log: Couldn't open cdkey file."
And 2: The last section of my logfile:

Fri Dec 28 20:48:53 2012 Log: OpenGL: Device supports: GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
Fri Dec 28 20:48:53 2012 Log: OpenGL: C32 RGB888 Z24 S0
Fri Dec 28 20:48:53 2012 Log: OpenGL: Level of anisotropy is 1.000000 (max 16.000000).
Fri Dec 28 20:48:53 2012 Log: OpenGL: Have 0 multisamples buffers, 0 samples.
Fri Dec 28 20:48:53 2012 Log: OpenGL: Failed to get a multisample GL context
Fri Dec 28 20:48:53 2012 Log: OpenGL: Forcibly disabled pixel shaders.
Fri Dec 28 20:48:53 2012 Log: WARNING: no support for combine3/4 extensions -> not all blend modes supported
Fri Dec 28 20:48:53 2012 Critical: Either GL_EXT_bgra or glDrawRangeElements not supported- bailing out.
Fri Dec 28 20:48:53 2012 Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Fri Dec 28 20:48:53 2012 Exit: Executing USDLClient::ShutdownAfterError
Fri Dec 28 20:48:53 2012 Exit: Exiting.
Fri Dec 28 20:48:53 2012 Log: FileManager: Reading 0 GByte 120 MByte 967 KByte 985 Bytes from HD took 10.859853 seconds (4.763652 reading, 6.096201 seeking).
Fri Dec 28 20:48:53 2012 Log: FileManager: 0.000000 seconds spent with misc. duties
Fri Dec 28 20:48:53 2012 Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Fri Dec 28 20:48:53 2012 Uninitialized: Log file closed, Fri Dec 28 20:48:53 2012

If someone could point me in the right direction to resolve this, I would be most appreciative! I will be trying an older version of Ubuntu to see if there is any change.

Thank you,
~John

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • "I got soul but i'm not a soldier..."
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
  • AA: [PTwars]b!6
Re: Working with Os X system & VirtualBox
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 12:53:50 PM »
I read your email today, and thread at BT but since i don't have Mac i can't help, but i'm sure the experts will explain exactly to you what's the problem.
"Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth"?
Hmm?

https://vortexservers.com/clients/aff.php?aff=406

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 13:36:40 PM »
Perhaps you need to update Ubuntu. Your issue is with OpenGL which might point to your graphics card... beyond that, I don't know enough about Ubuntu to help.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline ^^UnDiSpUtEd^^

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 13:39:32 PM »
As i know Eliz runs MAC OS X on virtual machine maybe she/he can help.

Offline jsable1975

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 21:02:10 PM »
I thought I was on to something, I installed wine for Os X and then ran the windows install, which installed with no issued. Here is where it falls apart... I can "Deploy" to the training, which lasts about 20 to 30 seconds... then I get the error "Error verifying system components", then the program exits. When I try to "Deploy" to a mission I get a message that says "Failed launching URL Package 'antipoke' version mismatch", then I get the choice of Main Menu, Server Browser or Exit Game, then I get the "Error verifying system components".  I should note that on the "SITREP" tab, everything is green and verified...

I will get this to run on Os X if it kills me....

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 22:21:02 PM »
As i know Eliz runs MAC OS X on virtual machine maybe she/he can help.
That would be a he

My problem is opengl releated

Running Win7 as Host, VMware as platform, with Mac OS Snow Leopard as guest
So it's a old (PowerPC emulation possible)

Are you running Ubuntu in VirtualBox on Mac?

Offline jsable1975

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 22:36:35 PM »
Running Os X mountain lion as a host with virtualbox running both Win XP Pro/SP3 and Ubuntu 12.10 (one at a time). AA 25 Assist will not run in either, my logfile posted above is from the Ubuntu VM, looks like a problem with OpenGL. For some reason, when AA25 errors out on Windows XP, it does not append to the logfile (armyops.log), this file is listed at 0kb.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 22:56:03 PM »
Running Os X mountain lion as a host with virtualbox running both Win XP Pro/SP3 and Ubuntu 12.10 (one at a time). AA 25 Assist will not run in either, my logfile posted above is from the Ubuntu VM, looks like a problem with OpenGL. For some reason, when AA25 errors out on Windows XP, it does not append to the logfile (armyops.log), this file is listed at 0kb.

Your best option to get AA to run is to dual boot to a real Ubuntu installation (not running in a vm).
This is not my area of expertice, there are people here that knows a whole lot more than me about this.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 23:29:12 PM »
ELiZ is right. Running an OS natively is best. I looked up your issues on Ubuntu and it looks like it's either outdated drivers and/or OpenGL software OR an old or obscure graphics card that doesn't support the basic features that OpenGL requires.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager