Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Bans without "hard proofs"  (Read 26334 times)

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
Bans without "hard proofs"
« on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 17:53:34 PM »
We reserve the right for assist admins to ban a player if they consider him obvious cheater, e.g after spectating him.

First ban of this kind is a temporary "warning" ban (e.g. for 1-4 weeks). Second is permanent.

Rationale:
Due to technology issues (architecture of PCs/windows/games), cheat authors have always advantage over the anti-cheat creators. Therefore, undetected cheats will always exist, no matter how much we will improve the detection. Our situation is further worsened by the fact, that all big AC organizations (PB, ACI, etc.) dropped support for this game. So in order to make the situation a little bit more even, we reserve the above mentioned right.

I will leave this topic open for a few days, so that everyone can freely bitch, rage, complain, and say how much he hates me for this (too bad someone banned Skrewy, but I will unban him for specifically that purpose). Do it here please, so that you don't need to spam the particular appeal topics. After then it will be closed, and the above statement will be included in that sticky "rules" topic.
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 04, 2012, 00:21:45 AM by pit-23 »

Offline MothaGoosE

Re: Bans without "hard proofs"
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 17:57:37 PM »
All I have to say about this is simply: You have a handful of sand. Your fist represents authority. The sand represents those under your authority. It's up to you to figure out how hard you should squeeze it.

Offline wickid

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 18:00:35 PM »
wont hear no bitch from me, i totally agree

Offline zoxee

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 18:09:02 PM »
I'm with ya 100% but u know that already  ;)
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 18:21:27 PM »
It's up to you to figure out how hard you should squeeze it.

This is something I have to figure out on a nightly basis.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline MothaGoosE

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 18:40:19 PM »
This is something I have to figure out on a nightly basis.

psssh lol saw that coming. :P

Offline Alex

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 21:31:36 PM »
I really disagree with this. If it's obvious he's wall hacking from viewing him, then use fraps and record it. At least something to show the guy was sketchy. There is just too much room to ban people who do nothing wrong.

Offline MothaGoosE

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 21:55:36 PM »
I really disagree with this. If it's obvious he's wall hacking from viewing him, then use fraps and record it. At least something to show the guy was sketchy. There is just too much room to ban people who do nothing wrong.

Exactly. It looks better for the community and most likely won't drive players away, cursing. Pit, if you didn't catch what I was saying before - if you squeeze the sand to tight, it all slips through your fingers. Incoming players want to see a friendly community, and banning without proof just makes asses out of the whole staff, regardless of their involvement. Find a balance. You're not going to catch every cheater.

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 22:11:38 PM »
Find a balance. You're not going to catch every cheater.

I think it's quite balanced. And it's not like I'm spending whole days looking for cheaters, trying to "manually" ban them all. I only focus on suspicious stuff that comes across my way.

Note that so far I only banned a few players this way (if you don't count the multiple accounts of theirs). It looks otherwise, because each such ban generates a lot of upset and noise.

Offline MothaGoosE

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 22:33:37 PM »
I think it's quite balanced. And it's not like I'm spending whole days looking for cheaters, trying to "manually" ban them all. I only focus on suspicious stuff that comes across my way.

Note that so far I only banned a few players this way (if you don't count the multiple accounts of theirs). It looks otherwise, because each such ban generates a lot of upset and noise.

If you want to make the people that are banned look like asses instead, you display proof. Then it looks good for the staff, even if the person banned keeps bitching. Give one good reason why proof shouldn't be required to ban people. Just because it's hard to find proof doesn't mean you should get to "eyeball" it even if you "reserve the right." I'm curious in what Sergio has to say about this, because it seems ridiculous to me.

As a matter of fact, did you even discuss any of this with the other admins before announcing this new joke of a "rule?"
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 22:39:47 PM by MothaGoosE »

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 22:53:13 PM »
Give one good reason why proof shouldn't be required to ban people.
--
As a matter of fact, did you even discuss any of this with the other admins before announcing this new joke of a "rule?"
Pit control and maintain the Assist Auth System... he can do what he wants with it.
hmmm, 9 of 10 admins agree with him on this. imo

We can schedule a match if you want, you will see why we have to ban this way... theres ppl "italians"ready to pwn the "pros" of America's Army.

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline Alex

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 23:01:19 PM »

hmmm, 9 of 10 admins agree with him on this.

How are you getting that? First of all, there are only 7 admins here. Second of all, you, pit, and I are the only ones to post our opinion so far. Spanky just made a bad joke. :P

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 23:10:27 PM »
How are you getting that? First of all, there are only 7 admins here. Second of all, you, pit, and I are the only ones to post our opinion so far. Spanky just made a bad joke. :P
the point is still valid xD, its 4 (or 5) against 3 (or 2) lol
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Offline Alex

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 23:16:03 PM »
the point is still valid xD, its 4 (or 5) against 3 (or 2) lol
not really. it's 1vs2 right now. The other admins haven't said anything.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 23:19:48 PM »
not really. it's 1vs2 right now. The other admins haven't said anything.
Spanky, Pit, Sergio & Me are in favor of the "non hard proof bans"  :idea:
idk bout Utroda neither BB.  :shock:

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager