Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: New pc build  (Read 26795 times)

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
New pc build
« on: Friday, January 06, 2017, 13:17:30 PM »
I'm planning to replace my old system with a new Intel based one. I haven't set a very tight budget, but I plan to keep the cost of the whole build under 1200/1300 euros. I'm asking opinions and ideas about improvements that can be made.

So, I've already looked around, and considering my needs I ditched out Skylake cpus in favour of Haswell ones (performance is quite similar and they run cool enough).
Unfortunately Skylake cpus and mainboards cost a fair bit more, and it also uses ddr4 instead of cheaper ddr3.
List of the parts:

Mainboard - Gigabyte Ga-z97 D3
CPU - Intel i5 4690k (the difference between the non-k and the k version is tiny, I wouldn't mind an overclock eventually).
Ram - 2 modules of 4gb Corsair 2133mhz ddr3.
Hd - WD Blue 1tb, 64mb of cache, obviously in the 7200 version.
Ssd - a Samsung 750 in the 240gb version.
Power supply - an XFX xtr 650w unit (they're rebranded Seasonic units)
Case - an Aerocool Vs 1 (it's cheap, I know)

The video card should be a 1070, I haven't chosen yet (probably a gigabyte windforce or a Zotac). All of the parts except for the card and the ssd will cost 600 euros. The card will be around 420/430 euros, while the ssd is around 90/100.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 06, 2017, 13:20:03 PM by Koden »

Offline phuNkiii.ops

Re: New pc build
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 06, 2017, 15:10:33 PM »
dont know much but I think 2133mhz memory is a waste.. it gives very little improvement for a lot of $$$ .. maybe 1600 max.. 1333mhz more than enough

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 06, 2017, 15:34:39 PM »
Ram - 2 modules of 4gb Corsair 2133mhz ddr3.
Hd - WD Blue 1tb, 64mb of cache, obviously in the 7200 version.
Ssd - a Samsung 750 in the 240gb version.
Power supply - an XFX xtr 650w unit (they're rebranded Seasonic units)
Get at least 16 GB of DDR3 1600 OR 1866, 8 GB is too low IMO.
Get Seagate BarraCuda (new version), 1TB 7200 rpm, ST1000DM010 (be sure to get THIS version).
I brought one and is pretty good, around 200 MB\s Read/Write, just as I saw in reviews, If I remember it is faster than WD Caviar black and cheaper than WD Blue(also faster!).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822179010
2TB version is: ST2000DM06.
IMO a SSD of only 240GB is waste of money, you can spend in other parts, if you play only 2 or 3 games regulary a regular HD might be enough, unless you really want speed, also if you install the OS on it, you will have even less space FREE to use.
650watts maybe too much, perharps 500/550watts 80 plus should be enough, the GPU must be the most demanding part of the whole PC as ddr3 and new processors use less energy.
You can calculate how much Watts your PC will use: http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 06, 2017, 16:11:23 PM »
Go with 1151 and DDR4. There's not much of a price difference and there hasn't been for a while (at least here in the states).
Stay with the SSD, mine is 128GB and even though I fight it, I still enjoy it. 240/250/256GB would be great, unless you plan to load up Skyrim or GTA5.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 06, 2017, 16:17:15 PM »
I looked around a bit more for parts, and it seems a skylake build might still cost about the same (only about 35/40 euros more). I'm willing to get an Ssd exactly to keep the OS on it,  a 240gb will be enough for some more stuff aswell. The ram...I kind of have to look for cheap 16gb kits.

The power supply is pretty much going to be that XFX.

Offline Bart!

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, January 07, 2017, 02:19:18 AM »
Why the GTX 1070? Isnt for example the 970 enough for balance with this system?
Myself, I recently bought a new one with the following setup, which was fast enough for anything I've done at the moment:
Gigabyte Z170-HD3P-CF socket 1151 MoBo
Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.5 GHz
16GB Kingston DDR4 Memory, as I can see now it is clocked at 16-18-18-36, don't have much knowledge about it
GeForce GTX 970 vid card
I also got a 500 GB Samsung SSD, maybe a little overkill, but 128 GB was too less to also put some games on it.

For me, this system is doing really well, however, I am not an expert, maybe I've done the balancing totally wrong.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 07, 2017, 08:10:33 AM »
AMD is in the process of releasing a new lineup, both for Motherboards, CPU's and GPU's
The last 10(?) years I've always ran with Intel and Nvidia since I try to get as much speed as I can.

But if you are looking for a system that is a few steps below absolute premium, a new AMD cpu/mobo/gpu combination might provide the best bang for the buck.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, January 07, 2017, 13:14:32 PM »
Why the GTX 1070? Isnt for example the 970 enough for balance with this system?
Myself, I recently bought a new one with the following setup, which was fast enough for anything I've done at the moment:
Gigabyte Z170-HD3P-CF socket 1151 MoBo
Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.5 GHz
16GB Kingston DDR4 Memory, as I can see now it is clocked at 16-18-18-36, don't have much knowledge about it
GeForce GTX 970 vid card
I also got a 500 GB Samsung SSD, maybe a little overkill, but 128 GB was too less to also put some games on it.

For me, this system is doing really well, however, I am not an expert, maybe I've done the balancing totally wrong.
I'm getting a 1070 because at some point this year (or the next one) I might buy a 144hz quad hd screen (2560x1440), and I'm not sure the 1060 - or comparable cards - might keep up with a good frame rate at that resolution.
Out of curiosity, which kind of frame rate are you getting at 1080p with your system on Rainbow Six Siege (at the higher graphic settings?)

AMD is in the process of releasing a new lineup, both for Motherboards, CPU's and GPU's
The last 10(?) years I've always ran with Intel and Nvidia since I try to get as much speed as I can.

But if you are looking for a system that is a few steps below absolute premium, a new AMD cpu/mobo/gpu combination might provide the best bang for the buck.
I know about Ryzen, but...they announced it like a few days ago. They barely showed a few motherboards without any real benchmark for the cpus other than a comparison of their top of the line against one of Intel's cpu (there are a few "leaked" benchmarks around on the web, but that's it). Imho, sadly, if there actually was something worth mentioning they would have already shown it. Instead, they're only releasing some info, and they're gonna release the actual cpu only in February or March (Q1 2017).

Btw, I already had an Amd system, it was an Am3 one with a x6 1055, and a 5850. Good system, but the card would act odd sometimes, depending on the game (E.g. AAPG is known to have a freeze issue with amd cards when you get flashed ingame). It was nice to overclock the 1055, tho.

Offline Bart!

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, January 08, 2017, 04:34:09 AM »
I'm getting a 1070 because at some point this year (or the next one) I might buy a 144hz quad hd screen (2560x1440), and I'm not sure the 1060 - or comparable cards - might keep up with a good frame rate at that resolution.
Out of curiosity, which kind of frame rate are you getting at 1080p with your system on Rainbow Six Siege (at the higher graphic settings?)
All very high/ultra on  1920x1080: static 90 fps, sometimes going up to 120
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 08, 2017, 04:48:57 AM by Bart! »

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, January 08, 2017, 05:54:28 AM »
Go with 1151 and DDR4. There's not much of a price difference and there hasn't been for a while (at least here in the states).
Stay with the SSD, mine is 128GB and even though I fight it, I still enjoy it. 240/250/256GB would be great, unless you plan to load up Skyrim or GTA5.
I checked the price for 1151 and it costs about the same, indeed. I'm probably going to use the ssd for the OS and the handful of games which really benefit of a faster disk.
Now I might need a hint about the case, I'm not sure I can get the Aerocool VS 1, so I might have to get a different one (priced below 70 euros). Right now I'm looking at the Corsair Carbide 200r.
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 08, 2017, 06:02:23 AM by Koden »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, January 08, 2017, 13:02:58 PM »
If you can get the Corsair Carbide 200R, do it. Those are my favorite budget builds. I've got the 300R and it's very roomy, I can just about put anything in it.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, January 08, 2017, 14:08:04 PM »
If you can get the Corsair Carbide 200R, do it. Those are my favorite budget builds. I've got the 300R and it's very roomy, I can just about put anything in it.
I just noticed the Corsair Spec 03...looks roomy aswell and it also comes with 3 120 case fans.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CC-9011053-WW-Essential-MidTtower-Finestra/dp/B00J63KSJA
Costs a few more euros but might be worthy, considering the hardware.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 09, 2017, 00:56:46 AM »
I just noticed the Corsair Spec 03...looks roomy aswell and it also comes with 3 120 case fans.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CC-9011053-WW-Essential-MidTtower-Finestra/dp/B00J63KSJA
Costs a few more euros but might be worthy, considering the hardware.

Eh, whatever floats your boat. I'm more of a simplistic man. Just be warned, fans that come with cases aren't that great. I've had to replace some not long after building.

Offline Bart!

« Reply #13 on: Monday, January 09, 2017, 14:17:25 PM »
Ha, I got 2 of these next to each other, both my pc's got them, love the space.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 11:47:19 AM »
Just made the order for em parts :D cant wait :D

6600k (Scythe Ashura on top of it)
Gigabyte Z170-HD3P
Gigabyte G1 Gaming (screw the "gaming" on the name, all it matters is that it has 3 nice fans on top ^^)
XFX XTR 650w
16gb Crucial Ballistix ram @2400mhz
Corsair Carbide spec 03 (white leds, i dont like the red ones)
Seagate Barracuda in the 2tb variant
Intel 540s ssd in the 240gb variant

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager