Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Gaming Headsets & Quality  (Read 35770 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Gaming Headsets & Quality
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, July 18, 2013, 19:20:52 PM »
anyone tried the g930s?.

USB? Wireless? "Surround"? All for $100?

BIG FAT NOPE.

Here's why:
USB means that it will have it's own onboard DAC and while you can get nice DAC's for around $100, that would have to mean that Logitech paid nothing for the rest of the materials and never marked up their product to make a profit. Having a low-quality USB DAC will also amplify grounding and power problems as well as EMI from your computer. Not to mention the DAC in that headset only does 48kHz which is fine but to me, that screams low-grade DAC as most good ones these days will do 96kHz or 192kHz.

Wireless will mean there's a lag. It may not be overly noticeable but there will be some and it adds to the chain of lag events (brain processing, clocks, refresh delay in monitors, etc..). Also, how is the audio transmitted over wireless? Can it pick up interference? Is it a second digital encoding that further reduces quality?

Surround means that there's multiple drivers in each earcup. Now the one thing headphones have against them is their size. Since sound waves are effectively vibrations/pulses in the air, the larger your driver, the more accurately it will produce frequencies especially low ones (that's generally why woofers are much larger than tweeters). Now you're taking a headset that's already crammed for space and you're fitting 2 more drivers in per side. How do you do that? You reduce the size of the driver. There's no way around the physics. Something smaller will push less air and thus not be able to reproduce frequencies as good.

Final nails in the coffin: $100 pricepoint for an all-in-one system. It just won't happen. DAC's will get better and cheaper since they're a solid-state semiconducter but you can't make analog stuff cheaply. If you skimp on the magnet in the driver or the spider or the basket or the cone, it all affects the quality of the sound. You need expensive materials to create a quality product. You can find a pair of headphones for around $100 that sound great or a DAC for around $100 that will sound great but you can't get both crammed into one for that price. Nevermind the mic or surround aspect. The fact that this is a product marketed towards gamers is a dead giveaway that it's crap. Gaming products serve a niche but it's not the enthusiast/quality niche. Just like laptops aren't powerhouses, their first priority is portability.

I suggest everybody looking for a quality setup to head over to www.head-fi.org and browse their Computer Audio section.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline zoxee

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, July 18, 2013, 19:33:10 PM »
Thx Spank for this very thorough post  ;)
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline Mixk

Re: Post Your Desk!
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, July 18, 2013, 22:37:32 PM »
Lol.  It just looked like one to me.  And I just want some Turtlebeaches.  They look pro.  The PX21 or whatever they are.  The knew ones that are sold out within an hour of being restocked..  I swear.  Lol.  They never have any in stock :\
you buy any turtle beach check them very closely as tend to be fragile where they pivot and turn. They have decent sound but I have broken four sets from 29.00 up too 100.00
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Offline Alex

« Reply #33 on: Thursday, July 18, 2013, 22:57:00 PM »
you buy any turtle beach check them very closely as tend to be fragile where they pivot and turn. They have decent sound but I have broken four sets from 29.00 up too 100.00
You just quoted a post from 3 years ago...

Offline Mixk

« Reply #34 on: Friday, July 19, 2013, 00:44:09 AM »
You just quoted a post from 3 years ago...
must be my old timers kicking in.  :o
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Offline boogoogaa

« Reply #35 on: Sunday, September 15, 2013, 04:51:52 AM »
Go to local reliable pawn shop i bought a sweet turtle beach x 12 headphones with microphone retails $59.00 for $34.00 nice sound.

Anyone know if you can talk to teammates with microphone while playing AA 2.5 through the game system or do you need Skype or Google to do it?

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, September 15, 2013, 05:17:06 AM »
Go to local reliable pawn shop i bought a sweet turtle beach x 12 headphones with microphone retails $59.00 for $34.00 nice sound.

Anyone know if you can talk to teammates with microphone while playing AA 2.5 through the game system or do you need Skype or Google to do it?

You do need a 3rd party tool, almost everyone use Teamspeak.

Offline [Majestic]tidididi

« Reply #37 on: Sunday, September 15, 2013, 05:35:50 AM »
Sennheiser FOR THE WIN.

Offline Froster

« Reply #38 on: Sunday, September 15, 2013, 07:19:18 AM »
I have the Razer kraken pro's they are the most comfortable headset ever.
But for the mic im have a little bit of trouble with it but sound quality is amazing on these things even though they are analog but for 80$ you can't say anything

Offline noobslayer

« Reply #39 on: Sunday, September 15, 2013, 08:40:50 AM »
I have the Razer kraken pro's they are the most comfortable headset ever.
But for the mic im have a little bit of trouble with it but sound quality is amazing on these things even though they are analog but for 80$ you can't say anything

I got razer kraken aswell, without a mic tho. Good for AA and music aswell

Everybody, one day will die, and be forgetten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun, fuck a mundane predictable life working monday to friday with something you derive no pleasure from; just living life out till you grow old and wither away. Find a passion, form relationships, dont be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks, trust me its alot more fun that way.

Dont ever pay people out or put people down. Instead just put yourself up and let the haters do their thing. Id rather be a person thats hated on, than a person that does the hating. A wise man one said...

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, September 15, 2013, 12:36:15 PM »
Headsets are fail.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, September 15, 2013, 17:21:02 PM »
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager