Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: How can we revive the game?  (Read 14164 times)

Offline robbinsdw

How can we revive the game?
« on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 13:23:11 PM »
Alright... so it's been a slow day at work and felt like posting something to hopefully spark some new posts.

I know it's been asked a million times, but what can we do to revive this game? I know most, if not all of us are here because of the good ol' days. We all remember the first time booting up AAO 2.X and running down the Bridge, or 203ing the vent in Pipeline. So to think this game is every going to comeback is a dream, but given that it's free, it has minimal system requirements, I feel like we have a shot to get some new users.

Tell me I am crazy... I know. Again, slow day at work, and I guess the holiday season is making me remember my childhood.

Merry Christmas anyway...

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Vegeta
Re: How can we revive the game?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 15:44:30 PM »
Its already happening
Words are great possed but the tune is crap. A condeming fear strikes down
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
Laying your guilt and pain. On people that had no part in the molding of a life
That creates its destruction. Lies. Right before your very eyes
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension. Thriving on your cliche. Compelled by self-resentment
Reaching into the minds of those that created. The depression in which they
In which they drowned their flesh and blood. Lies. So easy to blame the
Everlasting fear on a pathetic attempt. To justify the ending of life. Lies
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny
Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension. Thriving on your cliche. Compelled by self-resentment

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 23:28:51 PM »
The game is still alive. But not much more can be said at this point, unfortunately.

I've said it before a number of times but I will again. One of the reasons this game is difficult to grow is of a legal nature. The US army developed and  owns the rights to this game and its End User License Agreement (EULA) is quite specific on how redistribution of the game is not allowed. If anyone wants to harbor a guess as to what we're doing here there is quite a clear answer.

With that said, given we have been able to do this for more than half a decade and at least some part of the people who made the game are likely aware of such an initiative, it is clear no direct legal action has been taken, yet incredibly unclear in which situation such actions might be taken.

Still, attempts to advertise the game here and there (including sending emails to tousands of old playes) have been made and very limited success has been observed. Some have even come back here just to tell us never to contact the again.

If you, or anyone else for that matter, have a way to advertise and grow the community that plays the game, the initiative would be well received.

Another area of interest for the growth of this game would be its development. I'm sad to say, but the only peraon doing anything on that front is Possessed and there is only so much he can do. I don't believe there is much we have the resources to do to grow the game to attract new players from the new generation (the glory days of this game were 10 years ago so there clearly is a new generation). We simply cannot compete with the extremely fast paced modern shooters put there, not only because we have limited capability as well as resources to modify the game, but by design this game is also very different from games today. Gamers today are "programmed" by the industry to expect a 2 minute round at best and AA simply cannot keep up with it (even though we try - rounds are already almost half the length they used to be).

All in all, a sort of rant from my part while waiting in the aiport. See you all in Glasgow.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Virus.exe

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 17, 2018, 14:30:41 PM »
I'd love to see this more active. Please allow me to give me constructive criticism for whatever it may be worth. I have played this game literally since the beginning. Version 1.0. I watched literally all the additions and changes in both the game and the AA community.

For extreme old time or nostalgic players, the experience here is not too dissimilar from the very end days of AA. The servers are extremely poorly populated, there are way way way too many maps. There are way too many servers. The only time there are somewhat full games it's on the exact same maps with the exact same clans stacking the teams, with the admins harassing and/or kicking anyone who doesn't play exactly how they're told. This is exactly what (in my opinion) killed the original game.

I noticed the change to this about the time they dropped the official HomeLAN servers and allowed all the tracked servers to be community run. It ruined the game. I don't want to play official tracked servers and have read and abide by a different set of rules and have to deal with taking on a stacked team of guys on teamspeak who also control the server. It's not fun. The original Dev team already implemented the rules for gameplay (ROE) and it takes away from the experience having to adjust to someone else's personal preferences in each server.

What would benefit the game in my opinion, would be to get the community to actually come together and agree on a standard set of rules for gameplay. Ditch most the individual servers and maintain them as a more official system. With how few players there are we only need a tiny handful of servers on map rotation to keep the games full. It would be great if all the bickering clans and server owners could come together and collectively buy a few servers instead of all this private nonsense that is always empty.

This is exactly how AA was left, I think it would be best handled in a 1.x style of management with 2.x content.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #4 on: Friday, May 18, 2018, 03:23:49 AM »
Just play the damn game and spread the word. Enough.
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager