Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Best PC SetUp for 2016  (Read 15026 times)

Offline Placid-

• View Profile
  • AA: empty
Re: Best PC SetUp for 2016
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, March 13, 2016, 17:40:14 PM »
I was trying to keep away from posting as I like to be informed more instead of posting things I do not know about.
But I must agree on that point, windows has started a project to put everybody on w10, and it is quite annoying as it is. Windows keeps nagging me that w10 update is ready, you can't just close it from windows update easily.

@ work i heard some1 saying that you can turn off the notifications by some trick. Still havent checked it out

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, March 13, 2016, 17:52:01 PM »
I was trying to keep away from posting as I like to be informed more instead of posting things I do not know about.
But I must agree on that point, windows has started a project to put everybody on w10, and it is quite annoying as it is. Windows keeps nagging me that w10 update is ready, you can't just close it from windows update easily.

My PC actually automatically updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7 this weekend...
@ work i heard some1 saying that you can turn off the notifications by some trick. Still havent checked it out
One usually stops the notifcations by:
a) killing GWX.exe (GWX = Get Windows 10/x) - short term solution
b) uninstalling the Windows update that it came with and selecting never to reinstall that update

The latter does have a few issues, though. They have rolled out more than 1 different updates that do this and I suppose I must have missed at least one of them (see above).

And I also don't like the idea of automating everything. Sometimes it seems they expect every user to be on a computer for the first time and needs everything to be handled for them.

Don't get me wrong, though, I'll still be more happily on Windows 10 than XP, but I would have preferred to have stayed on 7 (or at least have a choice in the matter).
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Placid-

• View Profile
  • AA: empty
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, March 13, 2016, 17:59:58 PM »
My PC actually automatically updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7 this weekend...One usually stops the notifcations by:
a) killing GWX.exe (GWX = Get Windows 10/x) - short term solution
b) uninstalling the Windows update that it came with and selecting never to reinstall that update

The latter does have a few issues, though. They have rolled out more than 1 different updates that do this and I suppose I must have missed at least one of them (see above).

And I also don't like the idea of automating everything. Sometimes it seems they expect every user to be on a computer for the first time and needs everything to be handled for them.

Don't get me wrong, though, I'll still be more happily on Windows 10 than XP, but I would have preferred to have stayed on 7 (or at least have a choice in the matter).

Ah great. Will try it out soon. The man reason I dont want win 10 is because of the pirated software. Km affraid that MS Office or Sony vegas wont work any more. Seldomly update the computer cuz of this.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, March 13, 2016, 18:01:39 PM »
Ah great. Will try it out soon. The man reason I dont want win 10 is because of the pirated software. Km affraid that MS Office or Sony vegas wont work any more. Seldomly update the computer cuz of this.
Guess why I'm disappointed my PC updated... just waiting for the "notification" :D

As for the updates, you'd have to google the exact updates to target, don't know them by heart. Also, you need to first uninstall it, restart, then wait for it to pop up on Windows Updates and then choose to hide it permanently (or something like that).
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, March 13, 2016, 19:42:39 PM »

Quotes from some forum (MS btw.):

Q:
I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and have found there is not option to stop automatic downloading of windows updates.

A quick Google search told me that there is basically no way to turn it off, which I cannot believe to be true, as it is surely an important feature to have.

My house unluckily has terrible copper wiring, and my speed is not always the best, and I also have to watch my quota (On/Off peak etc), so hopefully there is a way to turn it off.

A:
So far Microsoft say that only Enterprise users are able to delay updates, but only up to 6 months. Windows 10 Pro users are also able to delay updates, but only for a few weeks, and only delay non-security updates. Windows 10 Home users don't get the chance to delay updates.

If enough users complain to Microsoft, they might change their plans.

A (MS Stuff):
Unfortunately, Windows updates cannot be turned off. However, you may select "notify to schedule restart" option which may help you.

A to above:
No, not helpful. Restarting should always be the user's option. But if updates are downloaded or not MUST also be the user's option. I DO NOT want updates downloaded when I am gaming, streaming content, etc.

Turn this HORRIBLE thing off.

A (many posts later):
There is a way to turn it off, although turning updates off is not recommended:
1.Open Start menu.
2.Search for Services.
3.Open Services, find Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS).
4.Right-click, select Properties, then change Startup Type to Disabled. Right click the service and select Stop.
5.Repeat for Windows Update service.

When you decide you want updates, you should do the same steps, except that you want to change Startup Type back to Automatic.

It was very funny reading all these complains ... :D :D :D
What if you could change the world by changing your perspective of it?
Would you?

Offline Alex

« Reply #35 on: Sunday, March 13, 2016, 21:14:04 PM »
Ouch, that hurt ..!
His posts have always the same context when something is beyond his comprehension - or simply: he don't understand something.
Classic no big deal. Says new Direct X versions are buggy, provides no proof, then says it's "beyond my comprehension" because I called him out on his bullshit. Typically that post would be where one would actually prove their claims, or at least try,  but Nope. No Big Deal just avoids it all together. Fascinating. You never have any actual logic to your argument, probably because there is none.

Also, I would love some proof to your Windows 10 in unstable claim. But like always, I don't expect you to actually have anything relevant to say, just some more insults.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 13, 2016, 21:29:05 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, March 13, 2016, 23:05:58 PM »
Grow up, you are no more a little kid ... Now you can't expect form the others answers on every your question just because you ask or say so. I gave you direction, follow it, do your homework and learn something by yourself.

BTW: Where are these insults? ...or simply you have no idea what this word mean?
... and don't expect from me to give you on the plate Wiki link to its definition.
Would you?

Offline Alex

« Reply #37 on: Sunday, March 13, 2016, 23:22:48 PM »
Grow up, you are no more a little kid ... Now you can't expect form the others answers on every your question just because you ask or say so. I gave you direction, follow it, do your homework and learn something by yourself.

BTW: Where are these insults? ...or simply you have no idea what this word mean?
... and don't expect from me to give you on the plate Wiki link to its definition.
On second thought though, you're right. I can't comprehend what you're saying, it's hard to comprehend ridiculous bullshit, and that's all that you post. You post bullshit, and when anyone challenges you, you throw insults instead of actually having a discussion.
Seriously, who starts an argument and then refuses to actually try to prove their side? When you make claims, you have to be able to back them up. That's how the world works. Even trolls try to defend their points with more ridiculous crap, you just resort to insulting my intelligence. You're worse than a troll.

Also, saying someone can't comprehend your post is indeed an insult.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 13, 2016, 23:29:39 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday, March 14, 2016, 00:28:27 AM »
@Killa: Please delete all your own posts because they are OffTopic, annoying and repetitive.

@Others:
Here is official confirmation made by MS stuff guy:
The newer PCs that come with preinstalled Win10 have hardware and firmware with which the much older Win7 is not compatible.
Would you?

Offline Alex

« Reply #39 on: Monday, March 14, 2016, 01:05:58 AM »
@Killa: Please delete all your own posts because they are OffTopic, annoying and repetitive.

@Others:
Here is official confirmation made by MS stuff guy:
Yet another side-step. Classic.
Also, new hardware runs worse on old operating systems as well as old software. This has literally always happened. Newer hardware is created to take advantage of newer technology, this includes software and operating systems. Have you tried to play SimCity 4 recently? You have to use software rendering because the newer graphics hardware doesn't support it. That is typical.

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday, March 14, 2016, 13:24:41 PM »
Yet another side-step. Classic.
Also, new hardware runs worse on old operating systems as well as old software.
False ...

Until Win10 all previous has backward-compatibility (the same for CPU) - e.g. DirectX ... 3D application based on DX7 will work without problem in DX11 environment.
If I played ..? Most recently in Trespasser (1998 - I don't expect you to remember it) on my based on Xeons machine - not to mention GPUs, chance were very small for this game to work properly, but you know what?  It runs flawlessly. Moreover it's not an exception.

Only games based on UE1 work too fast so they crash at some point, but this engine has build-in microinstruction to slow it down.

Anyways, I see some drastic changes here so I want to thank you guys for the input about PC stuff.
Now is time to go.
Farewell.
Would you?

Offline Alex

« Reply #41 on: Monday, March 14, 2016, 17:19:01 PM »
False ...

Until Win10 all previous has backward-compatibility (the same for CPU) - e.g. DirectX ... 3D application based on DX7 will work without problem in DX11 environment.
If I played ..? Most recently in Trespasser (1998 - I don't expect you to remember it) on my based on Xeons machine - not to mention GPUs, chance were very small for this game to work properly, but you know what?  It runs flawlessly. Moreover it's not an exception.

Only games based on UE1 work too fast so they crash at some point, but this engine has build-in microinstruction to slow it down.

Anyways, I see some drastic changes here so I want to thank you guys for the input about PC stuff.
Now is time to go.
Farewell.
I don;'t understand your point. AA 2.5 works flawlessly and it used DX8. I was just playing UT 99 with no problems the other day. Also, you can run stuff in compatibility mode with older windows versions. I have yet to run into an older DirectX version software that I couldn't run anymore after my upgrade to Windows 10.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager