Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Best PC SetUp for 2016  (Read 15023 times)

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Vegeta
Re: Best PC SetUp for 2016
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 14:52:00 PM »
I think its more about people dont like to think you have money to waste. Not everyone obviously.
Words are great possed but the tune is crap. A condeming fear strikes down
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
Laying your guilt and pain. On people that had no part in the molding of a life
That creates its destruction. Lies. Right before your very eyes
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension. Thriving on your cliche. Compelled by self-resentment
Reaching into the minds of those that created. The depression in which they
In which they drowned their flesh and blood. Lies. So easy to blame the
Everlasting fear on a pathetic attempt. To justify the ending of life. Lies
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny
Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension. Thriving on your cliche. Compelled by self-resentment

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 15:45:14 PM »
@Killa: True, but not entirely - in this case probably you have right, but if you will go much further, as I did four years ago it will be at the top much longer - even than four years.
At the time I've paid $3200 for each Xenon, MBR $1200, watercooling station something like $800, RAM don't remember exactly but there is 48GB so it wasn't cheap either - something arund $1500 ... and this is only small part. Point is, that even today (only changed GPUs - three times) 'my babe' is one of most powerful PCs on the world - at least in the first 100. Add to this satisfaction that I've made it myself. Never had problems with it ... super quiet.
What if you could change the world by changing your perspective of it?
Would you?

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 17:20:08 PM »
I don't understand why people get so annoyed when someone else waste there money on what they want
Yes 64 gb is overkill for any game but doesn't really matter, got the money to blow it then do it, rather waste money on a computer then let my old ladie spend it ahahahhhh
My shit is a overkill for any game, least It will last couple years, depending if I go over and beyond overclocking it

Well, sometimes buying things that are brand new (as in brand new CPU, brand new GPU, brand new everything) can be a lot more expensive than buying a year old stuff 1 year and then upgrading the next year or 2.
But all in all, if you want the best and are willing to pay for it, who is anyone to blame you? That's how us laymen get the parts for cheap a year later...
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 19:15:45 PM »
Ideally, you might want to get some sort of 128/256gb ssd for the OS partition and probably an hybrid ssd/mechanical HD for data, games, whatever else. As far as I know, ssd units are not particularly happy with a lot of small entity read/write operations (shortens the unit life). Spanky surely knows about em technical bits far better than me.
And I dont think Asus makes the kind of top quality and feature filled cases you're looking for. It has always been selling convenient products at a decent price (for nearly all of its lineup).

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday, March 11, 2016, 13:47:32 PM »
Thanks Koden, I thought about something similar ... my own HDD setup is:
- SSD 240GB for OS
- SSD 120GB for SWAP and OS stuff
- 4x 500GB for peronal data

... so for this ...
- SSD 240GB for OS
- 2x 500GB for OS SWAP, OS stuff and peronal data

... should be enough. But this is HDD configuration and my question was about 'which one?' Samsung, Intel, Ocz ..? Yeah I know, I could check the Net, but I did this once and regret my decision later. So this time, I ask consumers (you guys) directly: IYO which SSD/HDD mark is the best.
Would you?

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday, March 11, 2016, 19:09:15 PM »
I never owned an ssd, so I'm not able to recommend one out of my experience...Samsung has always made reliable disks, perhaps there is some difference in performance rather than reliability between manufacturers, but that's all up to how fast you want your disks to be (comparing disks with the same control unit)...maybe if you look at the matter all around you might also want to consider support, and then I bet the biggest makers like Samsung or Intel would offer the best service.

Offline ~=W!CK!D=~

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday, March 11, 2016, 22:53:57 PM »
Really wonder if I can get back windows xp pro, I know I can dl it from pirate bay or some shit like that, but biggest question would I be able to get current drivers for windows xp for my updated components

Offline Alex

« Reply #22 on: Saturday, March 12, 2016, 01:37:32 AM »
Really wonder if I can get back windows xp pro, I know I can dl it from pirate bay or some shit like that, but biggest question would I be able to get current drivers for windows xp for my updated components
Why would you even want XP?

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, March 12, 2016, 08:10:02 AM »
Thanks Koden, I thought about something similar ... my own HDD setup is:
- SSD 240GB for OS
- SSD 120GB for SWAP and OS stuff
- 4x 500GB for peronal data

... so for this ...
- SSD 240GB for OS
- 2x 500GB for OS SWAP, OS stuff and peronal data

... should be enough. But this is HDD configuration and my question was about 'which one?' Samsung, Intel, Ocz ..? Yeah I know, I could check the Net, but I did this once and regret my decision later. So this time, I ask consumers (you guys) directly: IYO which SSD/HDD mark is the best.
I have 2 Samsung Evo SSDs in my tabletop and a Kingston one in my laptop. Never had any issues with either. I've only had the PC for aroubd 9 months and laptop for a month, though.

I know Spanky was big on Samsung SSDs a few years ago and as far as I've heard they're solid products. Doesn't necessarily mean the rest of them aren't, though.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 12, 2016, 08:12:19 AM by teddy_grizzly_bear »
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline ~=W!CK!D=~

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, March 12, 2016, 16:45:17 PM »
Why would you even want XP?

beats having all that un needed bullshit that runs in the background

Offline Alex

« Reply #25 on: Saturday, March 12, 2016, 17:45:04 PM »
beats having all that un needed bullshit that runs in the background
Like what? Do you actually have any problems with what Windows runs? or are you just regurgitating something someone else said? Regardless, have fun with your dead and outdated OS. For someone that sinks a lot of money into PC components you sure are ready to hop on to an OS that won't use them to their full potential. Have fun being 3 DirectX versions behind.

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, March 12, 2016, 18:55:30 PM »
Have fun being 3 DirectX versions behind.
Humor me ... Imagine, that even now 90% of 3D software is based on DirectX 9c - why, because the license for the newest D3DX versions are too expensive ... and bugged.

@Teddy: thanks for input - I've checked today some different forums and it seams that Kinston is the winner - despite fact, that Intel is about to deploy quit new technology for SSD disk (greater speed and capacity for the same price).
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 12, 2016, 19:11:37 PM by NoBigDeal »
Would you?

Offline Alex

« Reply #27 on: Saturday, March 12, 2016, 23:26:54 PM »
Humor me ... Imagine, that even now 90% of 3D software is based on DirectX 9c - why, because the license for the newest D3DX versions are too expensive ... and bugged.
New games use new Direct X versions. The same reason you're spending a ton of money on that overkill PC is the same reason you should be using an OS that isn't completely outdated. Also, have you even looked at the games using DX11 and DX12? Hell, there are performance jumps like crazy for DX12, especially for AMD GPUs and DX12 is brand new. Buggy my ass, you just made that up like most of your arguments.
 Why even buy all that expensive hardware if you're not going to fully utilize it? DX9, come on now. What a joke.

You guys might as well go for a 32-bit OS as well while you're on your "intentionally gimp my PC" crusade.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 13, 2016, 04:06:25 AM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, March 13, 2016, 15:09:27 PM »
.... you just made that up like most of your arguments.

Ouch, that hurt ..!
His posts have always the same context when something is beyond his comprehension - or simply: he don't understand something.

@Killa: Where is the problem?

I do not suspect that it was this:
.... Why even buy all that expensive hardware if you're not going to fully utilize it?
...because it's obvious, for these 10% - in two years it will be 40 or even 60.

As for this:
.... You guys might as well go for a 32-bit OS as well while you're on your "intentionally gimp my PC" crusade.
You see, Win10 right now is in beta stage (and it is envisaged that did not come off / remain in this stage forever) so is very unstable. Moreover, because for Microsoft it's a One Big Experiment it will be always buggy.
...But you're right, one day we all will have installed Win10 - buggy or not - because MS is forcing us to using it.
There is one big 'Conspiracy Theory' all over - e.g.
I think Microsoft and Intel are deliberately sabotaging new PC builds.

Win 7 would not run correctly on the new build. I could not get updates. The OS was activated. The system was running at hyper speed.  Svchost process for Windows Update was over 2GB. Fans spinning, high memory usage and high CPU usage.

Installed Win 10 Pro and the system works fine.

Microsoft is doing everything it can to move users to Win 10.
So as you see I'm just trying to be prepared for this event ...
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 13, 2016, 15:32:04 PM by NoBigDeal »
Would you?

Offline Bart!

« Reply #29 on: Sunday, March 13, 2016, 17:34:29 PM »
I was trying to keep away from posting as I like to be informed more instead of posting things I do not know about.
But I must agree on that point, windows has started a project to put everybody on w10, and it is quite annoying as it is. Windows keeps nagging me that w10 update is ready, you can't just close it from windows update easily.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager