Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Best PC SetUp for 2016  (Read 15020 times)

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Best PC SetUp for 2016
« on: Wednesday, March 09, 2016, 17:06:54 PM »
... any suggestions ... preferably Asus.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 14, 2016, 13:27:23 PM by NoBigDeal »
What if you could change the world by changing your perspective of it?
Would you?

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
Re: Best PC SetUp for 2016
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 09, 2016, 19:04:30 PM »
... any suggestions ... preferably Asus.
Are you actually implying you would buy one of these factory pre-assembled systems, or am I wrong? In case you would (little pun there), just note that they often save money on key components as the power supply.

Offline Alex

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 09, 2016, 21:15:14 PM »
What do you even mean? Asus what? pre-built desktop? laptop? Also, as pit posted, you said you had water cooling? Which means you build your own PCs? Or were you lying?

Offline ~=W!CK!D=~

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 09, 2016, 22:34:52 PM »
I love asus products specially there motherboards great for over clocking, like there warranty as well,   until pushing it's limit and end up frying the board and processor like I've done , but still got brand new replacements =-))

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 09, 2016, 23:59:09 PM »
It's for my son, he want something solid for gaming purpose. I've checked the Net today and come up with something like this - for now:

- Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz)
- ROG Maximus VIII Formula
- Savage Memory Black - 64GB Kit*(4x16GB) - DDR4 2400MHz Intel XMP CL14 DIMM
- Blu-Ray BW-12B1ST

- need the rest of it. Have no idea for reliable water cooling - there is so many - or chassis.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Would you?

Offline Alex

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 00:08:18 AM »
It's for my son, he want something solid for gaming purpose. I've checked the Net today and come up with something like this - for now:

- Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz)
- ROG Maximus VIII Formula
- Savage Memory Black - 64GB Kit*(4x16GB) - DDR4 2400MHz Intel XMP CL14 DIMM
- Blu-Ray BW-12B1ST

- need the rest of it. Have no idea for reliable water cooling - there is so many - or chassis.

Any suggestions appreciated.
lol, 64gb of ram. So you're okay with throwing money out the window?
If that's the case, SLI 2 Titans for the GPU.
Water cooling is a waste if you're not going to do some serious overclocking, but seeing as you're more than happy to waste money on 64gb of ram why the hell not go for liquid cooling?

Something "Solid" would be an i5 CPU, 16gb of ram, and a GTX 960. i7 CPU, 16gb ram, and GTX 970 being "great" and i7, 16gb ram, and GTX 980Ti being "phenomenal".

What you're looking at is straight up "look at me, I have money to waste" overkill.
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 00:14:29 AM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 00:14:31 AM »
4x16 cost not that much: €467
4x4 cost: €125

... so why not? Anyway, I will save €33 in total. If you think otherwise, try to explain ...

[edit]
...ah OK, You just do not like me ...

...i7, 16gb ram, and GTX 980Ti being "phenomenal".

Not so 'phenomenal', I FTM have 2xXenon + 48GB RAM + 2xGTX 980Ti - and waiting for new Xenon's based on Skylake and GTX990.

...and saying 'something solid' I mean 'unbreakable' - he likes to break things ... :)

As for the case:
NZXT Source 340
Simple design ... what you guys think?
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 00:47:39 AM by NoBigDeal »
Would you?

Offline Alex

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 01:39:14 AM »
4x16 cost not that much: €467
4x4 cost: €125

... so why not? Anyway, I will save €33 in total. If you think otherwise, try to explain ...

[edit]
...ah OK, You just do not like me ...

Not so 'phenomenal', I FTM have 2xXenon + 48GB RAM + 2xGTX 980Ti - and waiting for new Xenon's based on Skylake and GTX990.

...and saying 'something solid' I mean 'unbreakable' - he likes to break things ... :)

As for the case:
NZXT Source 340
1. If you're okay with spending more than 300 more on ram you don't need then go for it. I just think it's a waste. You could funnel that money into a better GPU or something.
2. That setup is phenomenal as it easily maxes anything out on the market. Anything over that is flat out overkill.
3. Ah, I misunderstood what you meant by solid. You're not going to get anything unbreakable. We're talking about PC components here. Aside from the cases, build quality is typically pretty even at the same price level between brands. As for personal experiences, I've had good experiences with ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards and every Gigabyte GPU I've owned has been great. ASUS and Gigabyte are typically all around good brands.

As far as cases go I've always liked Antec and Corsair Cases. Always loved the look of the Corsair 450D for a mid-tower and the 750D for a full tower. They have a lot more expensive cases but I honestly wouldn't spend more than $150 on a PC case.
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 01:44:03 AM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline Placid-

• View Profile
  • AA: empty
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 03:01:42 AM »

As for the case:
NZXT Source 340

If he likes to break things, you should not let him play on the computer. Besides that, why would you burn money. For the avarage games with avarage settings a pre assembled pc will do. Prolly hè is gonna play minecraft anyway. ;)

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 03:20:56 AM »
I had more luck with Gigabyte parts rather than Asus ones in the past, but they both will cover their warranty I guess. The case is fine, Antec or LianLi also make good ones. I would choose a Seasonic unit for the psu.

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 14:01:00 PM »
I see some very interesting suggestions there ... Checked most of it but point is, case needs to be water cooling ready. There will be two: one for CPU and second for MBR and stuff - dimensions depend on the type of chassis.

So:
- Lian-Li PC-18: nice looking, but made of aluminum - always better than plastic. $ 149
- Obsidian 450D: as above plus more flexible if it comes to place the cooling stuff. $ 119
- Obsidian 750D is more interesting, I like it. $ 179
- Carbide Quiet 600Q: I like a lot - has full steel exterior panels, much larger than the others, but more compact, dust filters!. $149 (and price fits below Killas overkill ... :))

Didn't found any Asus made cases, they made exclusively for their own PCs? Of curse there is always ROG, but have so ridiculous shapes ... and prices. So probably we have the winner:

Carbide Quiet 600Q: $149

I think, I will stick with Corsair - unless you guys have something better. I thought to change the memory for Corsair, but the modules with the same parameters as Kinston have worse timings - and more expensive.

LIQUID CPU COOLERS:
- Hydro Series H110i 280mm extreme performance: $ 139
- Hydro Series H90 140mm: $109

There is H110i, H110i GT, H110i GTX - didn't see the difference ... Maybe you guys know some good watercooling stations? once you could buy watercooling with the external heat sink - no fans whatsoever - I have one of those. True is big, but completely silent. Coldn't find ...

AND HDD / SDD:

Kingston Predator (PCI card): Capacities: 120GB, 960GB, Read: up to 1400MB/s, Write:  up to 1000MB/s, Features: Marvell 88SS9293 controller - 240GB €212,52
Kingston Savage: Capacities: 120GB, 960GB, Read: up to 560MB/s, Write:  up to 530MB/s, Features: Phison S10 controller - 240GB €112,56

As for HDD, I have no idea what nowadays is good ... any suggestions?
« Last Edit: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 14:06:34 PM by NoBigDeal »
Would you?

Offline ~=W!CK!D=~

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 14:01:39 PM »
I don't understand why people get so annoyed when someone else waste there money on what they want
Yes 64 gb is overkill for any game but doesn't really matter, got the money to blow it then do it, rather waste money on a computer then let my old ladie spend it ahahahhhh
My shit is a overkill for any game, least It will last couple years, depending if I go over and beyond overclocking it

Offline ~=W!CK!D=~

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 14:06:22 PM »
This is a awesome case specially for cable management
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16811854001

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 14:18:34 PM »
Hmm ... Kind of strange shape, but I like it - will see ...

So WICKID, what you have? Don't be shy ... :D
Would you?

Offline Alex

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, March 10, 2016, 14:49:38 PM »
I don't understand why people get so annoyed when someone else waste there money on what they want
Yes 64 gb is overkill for any game but doesn't really matter, got the money to blow it then do it, rather waste money on a computer then let my old ladie spend it ahahahhhh
My shit is a overkill for any game, least It will last couple years, depending if I go over and beyond overclocking it

People typically don't like to see other people wasting money. The worst part about buying the overkill PC parts now is that they won't last you nearly as long as you'd think because while the power is overkill at the time, the technology quickly becomes outdated. If anything it only pushes your upgrade cycle back a year or 2 at max. When new technology comes out like a new Direct X version or a new/better architecture for a CPU or GPU your overkill rig is going to be about the same as some new mid range hardware. In short, it's not worth the money you pay. Like the suckers that bought the Titan graphics cards only to have the GTX 980Ti outperform it for half the cost not even a year later. You can keep a top of the line gaming rig for much cheaper. Sure you'll have to upgrade it a bit more frequently but you save money doing so and you'll always be able to max anything that comes out.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager