Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Beer - prices, brands and shapes over Europe  (Read 14079 times)

Offline ronski

Re: Beer - prices, brands and shapes over Europe
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, March 17, 2016, 10:20:11 AM »
In Czech it's not only about the price of the shit, it's also about the large scale of breweries and brands known worldwide. I have been planning on making a trip some day to some big electronic music festival in Prague, at least they used to have Sensation event over there as well

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, March 17, 2016, 12:13:57 PM »
The thing is, when you compare the prices over Europe you must have in account the cost of life in that country, here in Lisbon if you pay 5 euros for a beer is pretty expensive since our medium salary it's something like 700/800 euros/month but for a swiss or a nordic guy 5 euros must be cheap since they make 4000/5000 euros/month. I went to Czech Republic 2 years ago in the summer and is really cool, not only culturally but also the booze, the girls are great and the prices are really fair. But i would advise Hungary/Budapest i can't even put it in words... it's simply amazing.
You're totally correct. Plus, if you went somewhere more than 10 years ago, you would need to take into account inflation as well...
That's why it's easier to talk in relative terms. So if I live here in Estonia and I go somewhere where (for me) beer is cheap, I'll call it cheap. If someone comes to the same place from somewhere where everything is even cheaper, they might call it expensive. It's just comparing it to your own country/wages.

I've been to Budapest, it truly was a very nice place! :) It was around 6 years ago, but looking down at the river from the castle was magical!
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, March 17, 2016, 13:32:42 PM »
Has any of you ever happened to try some particular beer...like one made with sea water? Ive tried one myself a while ago, i think it was a spanish one (bottle). A bit odd but totally not unpleasant.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, March 17, 2016, 13:42:54 PM »
Haven't tried that specifically, but I have tried quite a lot of different beers. Mostly local, though. We've got a surprising amount of small breweries for such a small country :)
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Yahoo

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, March 17, 2016, 14:37:38 PM »
My next big trip will be the Route 66 by motorcycle, have been saving for quite a while but since i love travelling it's hard to make that amount of money and not be able to travel, that's why it is taking more time than it should.

Koden you are probably talking about Er Boqueron.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, March 17, 2016, 15:19:19 PM »
My next big trip will be the Route 66 by motorcycle, have been saving for quite a while but since i love travelling it's hard to make that amount of money and not be able to travel, that's why it is taking more time than it should.

Koden you are probably talking about Er Boqueron.
Are you from US or from Europe?  And yap, that was Er Boqueron indeed.

Offline Yahoo

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, March 17, 2016, 16:30:45 PM »
If i lived in USA i would have done it already.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, March 17, 2016, 16:41:34 PM »
If i lived in USA i would have done it already.
Its really nowhere as close for those who live up in the northern part of the states.

Offline Placid-

• View Profile
  • AA: empty
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, March 17, 2016, 18:48:34 PM »
A case of premium beer, weekly in discount at the local shop, is about 10 euro here. A case is 24 bottles a 0,30L
In pubs it varies. Mostly it depends on the location and Brand.  0.5L is between 3.80 to 5,- euro.
Luckily no clubs who ask 10 euro or more for a single beer, like in spain. :)

Offline Yahoo

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, March 17, 2016, 19:00:03 PM »
Its really nowhere as close for those who live up in the northern part of the states.

It's still cheaper and closer from Portugal... lol

Offline ronski

« Reply #25 on: Friday, March 18, 2016, 02:10:39 AM »
A case of premium beer, weekly in discount at the local shop, is about 10 euro here. A case is 24 bottles a 0,30L
In pubs it varies. Mostly it depends on the location and Brand.  0.5L is between 3.80 to 5,- euro.
Luckily no clubs who ask 10 euro or more for a single beer, like in spain. :)
here in Finland similar 24pack costs depending on the label from about 22€ to almost 30€ :verymad:

Offline ronski

« Reply #26 on: Friday, March 18, 2016, 06:18:44 AM »
Our country's alcohol politics is maybe one of the most fucked up ones in world wide lol. The state owns a monopoly what comes to selling stronger stuff than 4,7%, so basically you can buy real beers, wines and booze only from one company's shops, wines and stronger beers can't be released to be sold in grocery stores or microbreweries are not allowed to sell their own products because it would be too easy for citizens to buy the stuff and they would become alcoholics. Yet those stores from where you can buy stronger stuff are always next to basic grocery store. So the key to avoid alcohol problems here is to keep a wall between groceries and booze and of course they need to have different cashiers. If the wall would be removed and those cashiers would be merged, would the whole country become alcoholic......

In here you can't buy alcohol from stores before 9am or after 9pm. Now I saw a article which said that this store owned by the state of Finland will release online store from whic is open 24/7 and  from where you can buy booze easier, another company owned by the state will deliver the product to your door. The whole alcohol law is made to protect the fucked up monopoly the state has. And besides the monopoly, we also have high taxes in alcohol and also high VAT. Shops are not allowed to set sale prices for beers, they are forced to sell the product by it's single piece price, so when one 0,33l can of beer costs 0,99€ will 24case cost 24x0,99€ = 23,76€. It's so fucked up that our government believes ( read: claims to protect the monopoly ) that alcoholism in Finland is a result of availability of alcohol. Some of the congressmen has spoke about taking beers out from grocery stores to be sold in this monopoly shop. Could it be that alcoholism in here is a result of outcasting, loneliness, despair, depression and the high level of unemployment...
« Last Edit: Friday, March 18, 2016, 06:26:48 AM by ronski »

Offline Placid-

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Friday, March 18, 2016, 07:22:36 AM »
Such policy is shallow and does certainly not meet the desired goal. But actually, we've got the same policy, although its only for strong liquor. The local supermarkets can sell up to 15% alcohol. Everything above it can only be sold in liquorshops. Ofc, these shops arent state shops, but owned by whoever it may be. These shops are everywhere in town or sometimes inside the supermarket, disjunct by a wall or window.

There is a dutch website which compares beer discountprices in the supermarket on a weekly basis. Have a look :)  (disable ad-block)
http://www.biernet.nl/bier/aanbiedingen

« Last Edit: Friday, March 18, 2016, 07:27:41 AM by Placid- »

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday, March 18, 2016, 08:03:30 AM »
Our country's alcohol politics is maybe one of the most fucked up ones in world wide lol. The state owns a monopoly what comes to selling stronger stuff than 4,7%, so basically you can buy real beers, wines and booze only from one company's shops, wines and stronger beers can't be released to be sold in grocery stores or microbreweries are not allowed to sell their own products because it would be too easy for citizens to buy the stuff and they would become alcoholics. Yet those stores from where you can buy stronger stuff are always next to basic grocery store. So the key to avoid alcohol problems here is to keep a wall between groceries and booze and of course they need to have different cashiers. If the wall would be removed and those cashiers would be merged, would the whole country become alcoholic......

In here you can't buy alcohol from stores before 9am or after 9pm. Now I saw a article which said that this store owned by the state of Finland will release online store from whic is open 24/7 and  from where you can buy booze easier, another company owned by the state will deliver the product to your door. The whole alcohol law is made to protect the fucked up monopoly the state has. And besides the monopoly, we also have high taxes in alcohol and also high VAT. Shops are not allowed to set sale prices for beers, they are forced to sell the product by it's single piece price, so when one 0,33l can of beer costs 0,99€ will 24case cost 24x0,99€ = 23,76€. It's so fucked up that our government believes ( read: claims to protect the monopoly ) that alcoholism in Finland is a result of availability of alcohol. Some of the congressmen has spoke about taking beers out from grocery stores to be sold in this monopoly shop. Could it be that alcoholism in here is a result of outcasting, loneliness, despair, depression and the high level of unemployment...
Result of "availability of alcohol" sounds a lot like prohibitionism, that didn't help the US back then and probably won't help Finland either. I honestly never thought Finland could be such a gloomy place before you described it as such.

That rule about small breweries seems nonsense, here you can buy local wine from most wineyards and several also have their town shop(s). Wine is certainly a different thing, but we got a huge amount of small brands and independent small vineyards, it does make for a nice variety.

And alcohol is sold nearly everywhere anyway, basically even the small market will have their selection of wine/beer on display (you wouldn't still want to buy the cheap wine they sell in these supermarkets, but you get the point).
« Last Edit: Friday, March 18, 2016, 08:12:23 AM by Koden »

Offline Placid-

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday, March 18, 2016, 14:06:03 PM »
Looks like the dutch prices arent that high, compared to other countries. :style:

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager