Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Anyone else miss the way things used to be?  (Read 38943 times)

Offline Virus.exe

Re: Anyone else miss the way things used to be?
« Reply #15 on: Friday, July 01, 2016, 18:53:18 PM »
I agree with you about the total, massive lack of respect I see around these days...although I don't get what you mean about the modding. Are you talking about game features or map features? As far as I can recall this version of the game only received rather minor modifications in comparison to the original one (like the SAI).

I guess the only specific example I noticed (because if that inability to find a game on other maps) is not having the 203 rounds on Hospital. Was a good way to deal with door spam shooters, RPG campers and WWR campers. Again, I'm not sure if other maps have been modified because often the only games are the tired old Pipeline and Hospital.

Ultimately the largest issue here is the community is just plain awful and I don't want to waste my time with the total disrespect and unfriendliness.

Offline phuNkiii.ops

« Reply #16 on: Friday, July 01, 2016, 19:46:03 PM »
game died when they released AA 3,  think at that time it had really high system requirments.. Nobody really moved into the next version so I think they probably ended official support to try to get people to move on to newest version but that never happened as it was way different and nonapeling, and they ended up killing whole game. Think at some point it was most played free FPS

Offline Carmy

• Gurls
    • View Profile
  • AA: C@rmy
« Reply #17 on: Friday, July 01, 2016, 19:59:41 PM »
I remember when I found this game,I downloaded it for Dario and he started playing with Combat elite force.Was so much fun..Best AA fun ever.But now its all competition! Its not for the love of the game no more..I tried  playing night after night just to not make this game die,,But just to be disrespected to keep people in line. I would love to still play this game,But you cant any more.People come to servers just to annoy you,Cause there better.So they say!! Feel sorry for it to die out,To much hate and jealous.If people like you more then them and they do every thing to f you up..Even though your a good person. For me its all gone I may play for 15 to 20 mins, and that's it. Not the same anymore  >>>And I was one of biggest  fan of AA here..

Offline ronski

« Reply #18 on: Friday, July 01, 2016, 21:29:03 PM »
I remember when I found this game,I downloaded it for Dario and he started playing with Combat elite force.Was so much fun..Best AA fun ever.But now its all competition! Its not for the love of the game no more..I tried  playing night after night just to not make this game die,,But just to be disrespected to keep people in line. I would love to still play this game,But you cant any more.People come to servers just to annoy you,Cause there better.So they say!! Feel sorry for it to die out,To much hate and jealous.If people like you more then them and they do every thing to f you up..Even though your a good person. For me its all gone I may play for 15 to 20 mins, and that's it. Not the same anymore  >>>And I was one of biggest  fan of AA here..
I can feel you Carmy, all Nomad servers and Hosp Paradise are having a subnet ban being set by my IP, which means I can't play there (with my IP). This also means that no one here using the same provider can join those servers because of the subnet ban. We have over 560 000 citizens in this eastern part of Finland and majority of households using stationary internet connection here are using the same provider as I, which means they use similar ping as I. My friend Sherif has same provider and is living in same city, he is banned from those servers as well because of this subnet ban. We have friends for whom we'd like to introduce the game but it feels pointless since most likelythey are already banned from about 30 servers before they even download the game.

There are persons who are trying to do their best for this game and persons who are doing their best to kill the game.

This kind of bans makes no sense, they are set to me but I can bypass them if I want to. Not everyone can and that's why it affects on others. Why this kind of ban was placed? I have no idea, but it'sfucked up because it has so huge impact.

Hatefull community you say?

Offline Virus.exe

« Reply #19 on: Friday, July 01, 2016, 21:44:58 PM »
I can feel you Carmy, all Nomad servers and Hosp Paradise are having a subnet ban being set by my IP, which means I can't play there (with my IP). This also means that no one here using the same provider can join those servers because of the subnet ban. We have over 560 000 citizens in this eastern part of Finland and majority of households using stationary internet connection here are using the same provider as I, which means they use similar ping as I. My friend Sherif has same provider and is living in same city, he is banned from those servers as well because of this subnet ban. We have friends for whom we'd like to introduce the game but it feels pointless since most likelythey are already banned from about 30 servers before they even download the game.

There are persons who are trying to do their best for this game and persons who are doing their best to kill the game.

This kind of bans makes no sense, they are set to me but I can bypass them if I want to. Not everyone can and that's why it affects on others. Why this kind of ban was placed? I have no idea, but it'sfucked up because it has so huge impact.

Hatefull community you say?

This community seems small enough that we could rally the people to simply play on servers not run by then if this is true?

Offline Yahoo

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, July 02, 2016, 02:25:31 AM »
Last time i played AA, i numbered the servers and i counted about 30 (+\-) servers from the same 2 clans, in a universe at that time, of 150 players why should assist allowed that? There were almost more servers than players. I said this 3 or 4 years ago, a clan should only be permitted 2 or 3 servers, one for pubbing and the other one to scrim/matches. 10 or 15 servers per clan only make sence for the providers.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, July 02, 2016, 03:16:33 AM »
I agree that a big part of the active community is quite horrible. A lot of server admins get cocky, make their own rules that apply to others but not to themselves, kick and ban at their will for next to nothing and so on.
However, it is still their server and there is not much that can be done on Assist's side.

As for number of servers per clan - I think I've talked about it in the past - but it's extremely difficult (if not impossible) to control these numbers. Not all servers are clan servers. Some people have their own personal servers as well. If we made a rule that only 2 or 3 servers per clan were allowed, we might see that each member of that clan then has their own personal server.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline phuNkiii.ops

« Reply #22 on: Saturday, July 02, 2016, 04:05:47 AM »
Yea, its kinda ironic seeing so many servers and then low people online.. Kinda like "hey look, this game is totally dead" , think at current state 15-20 servers would be more than enough

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, July 02, 2016, 20:34:11 PM »
I brought a magazine which came with AA 2.3, I had a shit PC and dial-up connection, I enjoyed playing the training and then tried to go online but had trouble with PunkBuster and only had unprotected servers to play on, where years later I meet an old guy that used to hack as it was common in dat version, yea, there were hacking clans and hackers played together lol. By the time I got AA 2.3, the current version was already at 2.5 or 2.6, so I have been always late. After 2.3 died, Some friends and me moved to 2.6 and we even had a server there, but that time we were playing clean and even banning hackurs in our server, 2.6 died 1 or 2 years later, I played 2.8.5 for a while and also 2.5 with AA Deploy(currently 25assist), im here(2.5) since official servers terminated. I have ever thought what we could have if all those skilled guys used their knowledgment for something greater other than reputation in cheat sites and selfish acts.
 I got banned on Assist before I joined the team, interesting fact is that I dont know what was triggering my bans since I wasnt cheating lol, it was a hard time to argue with Spanky and co. I am not a coder as ELiZ, not a web dev and mapper as Spanky, not good in AA as Sergio, but Im fine with all I shared and all that I did even not having the proper skill for, this is my 7zipped history lol, wish I could write it better.
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline svyatonmac

« Reply #24 on: Monday, October 03, 2016, 19:40:34 PM »
Just decided to drop by and leave my opinion.

I don't exactly know in which version I started, but I believe it was around 2005 and it was literally god sent - I'll explain...

The only computers we had in our household were Macs and while these computers were elegant and awesome, they had barely any games written for them. So when a friend of ours showed me this Free, Multiplayer, FPS with MAC compatibility I was totally blown away! Just like all the other kids spent days playing AA since it was literally the only game I could play, but I still loved it, especially due to realism and a more tactical approach rather than the reflex fast Counter Strike :style:

When the servers were shut down I was totally heartbroken and moreover AA3 totally lost the great concept of the game :shock:

A few years ago I somehow discovered Assist, but it's not the same anymore - not entirely sure why, maybe we just got too old for sheeet?  :cry:
Or maybe the fun was in discovering something new, whereas now everyone here is a veteran and knows the drill, but back in the days everything was new.
I don't know if there was much ghosting back in the day (don't think Skype existed yet), but it was quite fun scanning cameras of main viewpoints and looking at enemy position - something which Assist denies, perhaps it's fair but still :P

Dunno, maybe it's just me, but even most modern games don't appeal to me much anymore, they all look like poorly redrawn copies and no originality.
Ah I miss the Golden Age (2000-2010) with America's Army, Need for Speed, Grand Theft Auto, Ronaldinho, the world seemed more peaceful and at least I wasn't bothered much about the future...

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #25 on: Monday, October 03, 2016, 22:51:34 PM »
Dunno, maybe it's just me, but even most modern games don't appeal to me much anymore, they all look like poorly redrawn copies and no originality.
Ah I miss the Golden Age (2000-2010) with America's Army, Need for Speed, Grand Theft Auto, Ronaldinho, the world seemed more peaceful and at least I wasn't bothered much about the future...
Well said, I agree.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline -TJ

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 05:10:06 AM »
I started playing in 2006, my tracker from my 1st account (that I stull use today) started 28-09-2006. Not sure which version it was, but I loved it from the first moment. I remember playing on a very old computer, that could barely run any of the maps smooth.
Then I found out about JRTC Farm Raid, this map ran relatively smooth so I played that map a LOT. Not much later I bought a newer computer, so now I had a much better FPS and the game became even more fun to me. I met a whole lot of guys from [JAG] clan, and not much later I became a member. I played with these guys for a long long time. I had to play all nighters on a regular bases, because most of them are from the US. I was still in school so all nighters were no problem back then hehe.
After some time I got in some trouble with the leader and a few members, they started to accuse me of cheating more often and finally I decided to leave the clan (and a bunch of friends). It's kinda funny though, my new computer made me play a lot better and not much later the hackusations came up. I understand it a little bit though, they were the best clan at Farm and getting ur a$$ shot daily didn't make them happier. Eventually the leader got me banned for having 5/6 identical PB screenshots with AASA, identical screenshots at that time could be a sign of hacking, and for the AASA it was enough to give me a ban. I literally lost all the fun in this game because it was a BS ban, I never used anything to enhance my performance, but oh well, it is what it is. I appealed but I couldn't deliver proper proof to get rid of it.
Not much later I joined {FRJ} clan, also an active Farm clan but with better understanding of gaming and what is possible and what wasn't (or in other words, better players on average)
Not much later that POS AA3 came out, I was excited but after trying it I decided to stop playing. AA2 pretty much died out, AA3 was unplayable so here I was, not gaming anymore lol.
In the meanwhile I played BF3 and BF4, which was good fun, but it just doesn't match the feeling that I always had from AA2.

Then years later I found this website, and I found out there actually were still people playing it. I downloaded it, searched around for my account details, and got back into the game. It changed, not much maps are being played, but the average level of players is good. Coming back I was a bit rusty, didn't know all the keys but ey....I was having that AA fun again. I have been around for a few months now, and besides all the unnecessary drama I enjoy it everytime I play.

Offline General_alkos

« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 07:42:50 AM »
I guess the only specific example I noticed (because if that inability to find a game on other maps) is not having the 203 rounds on Hospital. Was a good way to deal with door spam shooters, RPG campers and WWR campers. Again, I'm not sure if other maps have been modified because often the only games are the tired old Pipeline and Hospital.

Ultimately the largest issue here is the community is just plain awful and I don't want to waste my time with the total disrespect and unfriendliness.
Was a good way to deal with door spam shooters, RPG campers and WWR campers.

I do not know when I started playing but has a full of ---- of time.
I believe that in three nick about 10,000 hours of gameplay.I never counted either camp (hate camper)
brought into play dozens of players (some I did not need to introduce)!

once this was one community and now!

Bok all

« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 11:33:20 AM by General_alkos »

Offline ~=W!CK!D=~

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 11:07:38 AM »
I started playing in 2006, my tracker from my 1st account (that I stull use today) started 28-09-2006. Not sure which version it was, but I loved it from the first moment. I remember playing on a very old computer, that could barely run any of the maps smooth.
Then I found out about JRTC Farm Raid, this map ran relatively smooth so I played that map a LOT. Not much later I bought a newer computer, so now I had a much better FPS and the game became even more fun to me. I met a whole lot of guys from [JAG] clan, and not much later I became a member. I played with these guys for a long long time. I had to play all nighters on a regular bases, because most of them are from the US. I was still in school so all nighters were no problem back then hehe.
After some time I got in some trouble with the leader and a few members, they started to accuse me of cheating more often and finally I decided to leave the clan (and a bunch of friends). It's kinda funny though, my new computer made me play a lot better and not much later the hackusations came up. I understand it a little bit though, they were the best clan at Farm and getting ur a$$ shot daily didn't make them happier. Eventually the leader got me banned for having 5/6 identical PB screenshots with AASA, identical screenshots at that time could be a sign of hacking, and for the AASA it was enough to give me a ban. I literally lost all the fun in this game because it was a BS ban, I never used anything to enhance my performance, but oh well, it is what it is. I appealed but I couldn't deliver proper proof to get rid of it.
Not much later I joined {FRJ} clan, also an active Farm clan but with better understanding of gaming and what is possible and what wasn't (or in other words, better players on average)
Not much later that POS AA3 came out, I was excited but after trying it I decided to stop playing. AA2 pretty much died out, AA3 was unplayable so here I was, not gaming anymore lol.
In the meanwhile I played BF3 and BF4, which was good fun, but it just doesn't match the feeling that I always had from AA2.

Then years later I found this website, and I found out there actually were still people playing it. I downloaded it, searched around for my account details, and got back into the game. It changed, not much maps are being played, but the average level of players is good. Coming back I was a bit rusty, didn't know all the keys but ey....I was having that AA fun again. I have been around for a few months now, and besides all the unnecessary drama I enjoy it everytime I play.

I know quite a few of the  [JAG] guys, some are still around,  there pretty cool guys

Offline Gusso

• View Profile
  • AA: Scrap
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 20:57:54 PM »
Nice topic Spanky.

What I do remember is that I was a Paramedic and Firefighter working shifts
I had slept myself into a corner on my days off and could not sleep anymore.  Finally, I got myself a desktop and adsl. Logging on to the internet via landline had all the weird and fancy sounds that made you feel you had joined the space age. One day, logging on via Yahoo, I found a free game advertised called America's Army.

I breezed through the training ( to this day I recommend the medical training for wannabee's) until I got to the parachute jump and SF training. Nearly walked away  :P I believe the first map I joined was Bridge Crossing and as either my pc was so poor or the graphics were different, I could see the enemies black beanie sticking out above the pillars like a sore thumb. I started chatting via the keyboard and was amazed to find another South African playing.  John  and I made friends across the globe and the clan SASF was born. (all the kudos to John) then Jan who knew software and Sagi who was at another level.

I have made and still have friends that if I ever was to meet we would have a good couple of pints and a good laugh together due to this amazing game.

Life is short and has it's seasons.

There were always shits in this game who knew every spam in the book and as in the days where on Bridge at spawn if you did not hit the ground running the rpg's would nail you silly.

Has this game had it's season? Probably
It seems to be way to tough for the many I have introduced but yet it has everything to survive for many years to come. Apart from the recent Ddos attacks which I believe will pass, the current piss and vinegar ingame  as well as the sheer disrespect towards players by few will always chase away those trying to get from 10 honour to 20. Having said that I have crossed the subject with those that I have introduced as to why they left and the answer has always been the same .... it's just too hard lol.

To the AA Team a big thank you for the trip albeit nowhere over for me yet!
To all the friends I have made thank you for being part of this journey I make through this life
To people like Merlin who have assisted me in getting my server up and running a big  :up:

If, I should die before this game, put a gravestone on the map I loved next to my friend and old clan mate Koen   :cool:

Scrap  :style:
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 21:04:13 PM by Gusso »
Telling the truth in the time of universal deceit is a revolutionary act.  George Orwell

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager