Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Anyone else miss the way things used to be?  (Read 38931 times)

Offline -TJ

Re: Anyone else miss the way things used to be?
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 03:21:45 AM »
I know quite a few of the  [JAG] guys, some are still around,  there pretty cool guys
Yea most of them are awesome, kinda lost contact with pretty much all of them.
Do you also know guys from {FRJ} ? Or does Torrentthief ring a bell? He was such a funny guy.

Offline -iResis.Wolfjee+

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 03:23:30 AM »
This topic hits me in the feelings man.

i started in 2005  with a friend and he didnt play so much.
after i played more and more, met very nice people in the game.

First real clan i joined was Quick Reflexes after i went to Good vs Evil where i also met very nice and fun people, i sometimes catch myself looking true my buddylist and realize the nice people who where playing this game and last time they played was 2013...or whatever

After that i skipped around true clans to find my spot and found HT and after sexy gaming.
I have alot of good memories with both clans

The reason why iam not playing is simple, i played for 11 years and i needed some change.
Iam still here once in a while.

Greetings Wolfjee from The Netherlands!

Offline ~=W!CK!D=~

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 21:06:52 PM »
Yea most of them are awesome, kinda lost contact with pretty much all of them.
Do you also know guys from {FRJ} ? Or does Torrentthief ring a bell? He was such a funny guy.

Hey Tj if u have a facebook check em out, they might be by invite only, if so pm ur real name I'll have striker approve you to join in, if u wanted to chat with the old fellows

https://m.facebook.com/groups/198992118717?ref=bookmarks

Offline -TJ

« Reply #33 on: Thursday, October 06, 2016, 08:00:44 AM »
Hey Tj if u have a facebook check em out, they might be by invite only, if so pm ur real name I'll have striker approve you to join in, if u wanted to chat with the old fellows

https://m.facebook.com/groups/198992118717?ref=bookmarks
Thanks, have been a member there for a while. But I got frustrated because of what happend in the passed an called the leader some bad words. So don't think I'll join again lol.

Offline Eversmann122

« Reply #34 on: Thursday, October 06, 2016, 21:12:33 PM »
Ahh the good ole days... anyway been around since 04-05 plenty of the oldies prolly remember better than me since i was mostly a trouble maker lol. Been so long i dont even remember all the clans i was in or started over the past 11-12 years, but i do remember !mp@cT, -[SoA], {S-x-F} (SealXFactor will always my most beloved AA 2.5 clan lol) and of course cant forget AK4. I miss the old shotgun tourny's i hosted and other clans hosted.
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 06, 2016, 21:17:38 PM by Eversmann122 »

Offline [BBR]Alakarr

« Reply #35 on: Saturday, April 01, 2017, 22:17:41 PM »
The thread has been dead for a little while, but I just had to post up when I found it.

I started AA at 1.9 in 2003. It was the first online, PVP game I had played to that point, and being an Army vet I loved it. Realistic speed, no respawns, no powerups; the game was so different from any other FPS game. After playing a few month's by myself, I joined my first and only clan in the game; Broadband Rangers [BBR]. It was a great group of people that became real friends. At our height we were running three servers and had 70+ members. The servers were full nearly 24/7 and I got to know people from alot of other clans. It was a real community back then.

By the time 2.3 came out I was with the closed Beta team doing game testing and a member of the Alpha group working with the Devs. It was great having such a inside position and having some input on the game design.

Around when 2.7 came out cracks were starting to show. The Army started pushing more and more resources over for development of 3.0, but very few of the Alpha or Beta teams were allowed to help on it.  The Devs were really getting stressed trying to support v2 and write an all new game for v3. 2.8 and the patches were not up to the usual standards. v3 was pushed out by the Army, even though it wasn't nearly ready. The day it was released, everybody on the Alpha and Beta teams were notified by email that we were no longer needed. We also found out that the entire development team had been fired.

Was a really sad ending to a wonderful game and community.

Offline LEEFFM

« Reply #36 on: Sunday, April 02, 2017, 02:50:24 AM »
AA has always been a love/hate relationship for me. I think we all love the classic days and funnily enough, those are all different time periods. We came in at different times, knowing different people, enjoying different servers and different crews on different versions. But we all share the same fondness for a specific period. The way it used to be.

It's almost heartbreaking, the poor timing I've seen in this game. I came into this game around when 2.6 was released, maybe a bit before. This was a weird time. All the anti-cheat sites were still popular but MD5 checks didn't exist and you could do crazy easy cheats and only get caught if the server admins were lucky enough to get a screenshot. I met Crusade just as he was starting to take off on modding and hacking, bringing back a lot of the old school coding to life that was pioneered by PAS clan and Rifle over at the Hazard AA Tracker. I had learned about modding and loved to run my own server and looking to make it better, I found out about custom maps and that's when I met BlueBlaster. Both him and me were scraping together the remnants of the custom maps once created by enthusiastic people at aa-maps.net. We were too late to work with them but instead just browsed through the forum which was more of a graveyard. This is just a tidbit of my personal history with AA and the great people I've met through it. I say the timing is heartbreaking because, knowing what I know and seeing the timeline unfold, I was always too late. Finding out about cool shit after someone else was done with it. I've come across so many super talented people over the years I've been involved with AA. It's impossible because it's gone but I often wonder what would have happened had the timing been right and a lot of us gotten together to create something amazing. Brilliant website coders and designers, creative UScript, LUA and C++ coders, 3d modelers, countless talented mappers, tons of eager people willing to learn. It's been such a waste. Looking back, a lot of these characters quickly burned out. I'm sure they all had various reasons but I can't help but think that given what we know and have today, if that same enthusiasm and knowledge they had 10 years ago, if that was around today... wow.

I don't know what it is about this game but it's just heartbreaking and frustrating. I miss the way things used to be. I am disappointed in the waste of potential due to timing.

What do you miss? What do you wish was different?

i Could see my AIMod being something people would be interested in if/when i get it functional but i am very busy lately and haven't been doing much modding or anything besides sleeping and working for that matter lol, but if there was anyone else that knows UnrealScript that wanted to help i can release the code i have so far.

I am not an original player my BattleTracker account http://battletracker.com/index.php?page=AAOPlayerStats&pid=853312
is the only AA2 account ive ever had so i dont know how things used to be but i do like the game and would like to see more people playing but i dont really see that happening. adding things to the game could attract more attention to the game maybe people would come back and new players would come in, New gamemodes could be added new maps could be added, if enough skilled people wanted to they could port the game to UDK and release it for free on steam. the main issue with any of that is the lack of people who have the skills,people who want to learn the skills, or people that have time to learn the skills to do any of this then of course actually doing it. another thing that could help is people actually suggesting things on the forums that they would like to see in the game or in mods. i dont really see anything useful in the suggestions Vanoke has some maps hes been working on and thats about it. if i ever saw suggestions for mods to the game i would atleast attempt to make them lol all i ever really see is complaining about hospital and other random crap.

* Start Suggesting things that could make the game better in the forums.
* Be willing to go into mod servers and help test the Mods.
* Learn to Mod learn to make maps learn to model new weapon/characters.
* Advertise the game anywhere you can.

I am more then willing to help people get started modding if anyone ever wanted to, the more people there are modding the more people there are to spitball ideas and learn with.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, April 02, 2017, 11:52:30 AM »
The community actually lacks of ppl capable of turning ideas/projects into reality, also theres a lack of trust.
Those that are capable or at least can make it, are taking care of its own stuff/life, the game is stuck and I bet it will be for now and for the next months(I'm talking positve, but id say years :P).
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Vegeta
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, April 02, 2017, 12:03:12 PM »
The community actually lacks of ppl capable of turning ideas/projects into reality, also theres a lack of trust.
Those that are capable or at least can make it, are taking care of its own stuff/life, the game is stuck and I bet it will be for now and for the next months(I'm talking positve, but id say years :P).

It lacks ppl. so there for it lacks every thing required. what would help would be leadership and consistant leadership. It needs rules and the same rules for evetyone. Not rules for one and they change for another.
It needs leader who will adhere to a higher level than the average user. If you dont have a consistant foundation you have nothing to build on. So it starts at the top. And once the top gets the foundation right. The rest will fall into place. You need barriers for children to keep them in line. So get rid of the sarchastic leaders. Thats always gonna help.
Words are great possed but the tune is crap. A condeming fear strikes down
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
Laying your guilt and pain. On people that had no part in the molding of a life
That creates its destruction. Lies. Right before your very eyes
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension. Thriving on your cliche. Compelled by self-resentment
Reaching into the minds of those that created. The depression in which they
In which they drowned their flesh and blood. Lies. So easy to blame the
Everlasting fear on a pathetic attempt. To justify the ending of life. Lies
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny
Your part in the demise of a life

Offline LEEFFM

« Reply #39 on: Sunday, April 02, 2017, 19:13:18 PM »
It lacks ppl. so there for it lacks every thing required. what would help would be leadership and consistant leadership. It needs rules and the same rules for evetyone. Not rules for one and they change for another.
It needs leader who will adhere to a higher level than the average user. If you dont have a consistant foundation you have nothing to build on. So it starts at the top. And once the top gets the foundation right. The rest will fall into place. You need barriers for children to keep them in line. So get rid of the sarchastic leaders. Thats always gonna help.

Those "Sarchastic Leaders" (you spelled Sarcastic wrong btw.) are the only reason the game has lasted this long without them the few people that are still here would have been gone a long time ago. there is a need for more people in the game which once again the best way i can think to get people to play is to advertise the game and the assist software anywhere you can and for the community to come up with ideas for things that could be changed, mods, etc. and of course as Possessed has stated even with ideas there is still a lack of skilled people who can actually making the ideas a reality and part of that is because the people with the skills are busy with real life with jobs and making sure they have what they need.

on a side note im making some progress on my AIMod im gonna work on it some more and maybe see if spanky wants to make another video :P

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday, April 03, 2017, 03:45:20 AM »
So you stated the blatantly obvious. Are you saying dont say a word against the staff just cause the run it? possseswed is laughing at me behind my back knowing the report button doesnt work. He doesnt let me know, even though He is aware that I was reporting. as he quoted the reports. No we need consistensy from leader or there no leaders at all. Maybe you think incinsistensy is fine I dont. You seem to think spelling error is worthy of note. So I wont be looking for advice from your shallow thinking.
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday, April 03, 2017, 19:46:52 PM »
Wicked your old before your time. Your jokes are funny to you. Everyones laughing at me nice happy for ya. Drival man thats all you have

Offline ImSmokin

« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 15:25:43 PM »
I for sure miss the old days, I downloaded when v1.3 came out and played religiously until 2.8.5.

I miss the old twl and clan matches, the option of many servers on all the levels. I miss how the community used to be :(

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, April 04, 2017, 15:51:21 PM »
I for sure miss the old days, I downloaded when v1.3 came out and played religiously until 2.8.5.

I miss the old twl and clan matches, the option of many servers on all the levels. I miss how the community used to be :(

Yap. This game has been live and kicking for a good decade.

Offline bRU$seLs.2004-

• waNna sOmethiNg?
    • View Profile
  • AA: .
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, May 24, 2017, 16:58:06 PM »
since 2004 and yes it was a really great time! Many good people with allot of fun in Ts.
They really have to do a remake, what kind of games are playing right now?.. if you play..

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager