Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Newbie Questions =)  (Read 1234 times)

Offline RhysAndrews

Newbie Questions =)
« on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 08:28:34 AM »
Hey guys!
I was a veteran AA player back in the day, haven't played for about 5 years though. I'm going to a LAN soon and I want to bore treat my friends with a few games of AA. I've a few dumb questions, though..

1. Why does Assist use AA:O 2.5? Didn't it go up to 2.7 or so?
2. Is there an easy way to make copies of the game over a local network, i.e not have to redownload the game for each computer?
3. Can I use the Server Manager to create a LAN server, and do people need to login to a real account to play or can I turn off auth and have them play with whatever name they like?
4. I'm getting an "Exception of class OutOfBoundsException was not handled" error message when doing pretty much anything in the Server Manager. Is this because I'm still installing the files for AA? I'm running Windows 8.

Cheers, and sorry if I'm not posting in the right forum. :)

Rhys

Offline RhysAndrews

Re: Newbie Questions =)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 09:00:34 AM »
OK no more errors with the server manager once I 'added' a server.. but it did re-download the entire game..

Offline Ganja

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 10:07:40 AM »
I'm going to a LAN soon

Wouhou me too :D I could be interested by the answers too.

Offline ~=W!CK!D=~

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 13:08:19 PM »
Welcome back, good to see old school  players coming back

Offline Alex

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 14:01:35 PM »
Hey guys!
I was a veteran AA player back in the day, haven't played for about 5 years though. I'm going to a LAN soon and I want to bore treat my friends with a few games of AA. I've a few dumb questions, though..

1. Why does Assist use AA:O 2.5? Didn't it go up to 2.7 or so?
2. Is there an easy way to make copies of the game over a local network, i.e not have to redownload the game for each computer?
3. Can I use the Server Manager to create a LAN server, and do people need to login to a real account to play or can I turn off auth and have them play with whatever name they like?
4. I'm getting an "Exception of class OutOfBoundsException was not handled" error message when doing pretty much anything in the Server Manager. Is this because I'm still installing the files for AA? I'm running Windows 8.

Cheers, and sorry if I'm not posting in the right forum. :)

Rhys
1. While AA went up to 2.8.5, version 2.5 was used because it was the last version of America's Army to support Linux and OSX.

2.You can install AA 2.5 separately on your computer and have Assist copy that installation. It will still have to download all the updates and added content though.

3. If you don't want to use auth, you don't even have to use Assist. Just create a server for regular AA and have people join it by IP.

4. In my experience Assist doesn't like it when you try to do 2 things related to AA at the same time. I don't know much about the server manager though so wait until someone more qualified see this.

Welcome back to AA and I hope you enjoy your time. :)
« Last Edit: Thursday, February 20, 2014, 14:03:42 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline RhysAndrews

« Reply #5 on: Friday, February 21, 2014, 00:49:33 AM »
Thanks, man :)
Yep, so finding ArmyOps in APPDATA and copying it over the network works fine (so no registry settings etc that I need to copy over).

I just used server.ini on the CLIENT copy of the game (not server copy, that didn't work) and runserver.bat and that worked well.

The error was because I hadn't run a server yet and it had to download the server copy.

Suhweeet. Thanks.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #6 on: Friday, February 21, 2014, 02:05:22 AM »
Your account has been activated :)
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager