Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Please add Creative EAX support  (Read 6654 times)

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: nfy.[BLANK]
Re: Please add Creative EAX support
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 12:48:53 PM »
I'm an audio engineer. :-/

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
  • AA: guily6669
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 13:06:13 PM »
LOL...

But like I said, you don't need to use EAX.

Just by using Hardware sound makes a whole different level of sound quality in the game, and doesn't add any more reverb since EAX is off (you chose to activate or not in-game on audio settings...).

The thing is if we can have hardware sound support in the game, I think the "dsound.dll" should also be added to aa25assist with md5 hash protection in it.

And the sound quality change a lot from sound card to sound card, since I remember using my very old creative sound blaster 24bit live or something like that, years ago, and it made a totally different AA hardware sound than my little modern creative X-fi Go Pro USB.

This one support EAX HD even though it's not much good. The older creative would fail on some effects under AA hardware sound.

Adding creative alchemy is just a plus. You can enable\disable, and put the sound quality as you like, so it doesn't make any difference for people that don't want the hardware sound quality in the game (you can even activate\deactivate in-game by chosing HW or 3d audio only which disables hardware).

Also if you don't install creative alchemy, you won't ever have hardware sound under win7 on this game, so it doesn't make any difference for most people by addind the ".dll" to aa25assist (I mean it won't make people to have reverbs by just adding support for it...)
Keep Cool
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 13:10:30 PM by guily6669 »

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 13:28:22 PM »
So in short you want us to enable that some people to hear better than others?
Better if we try to keep the playing field as even as possible, not to go out of our way to enable more difference.

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
  • AA: guily6669
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 13:38:20 PM »
So in short you want us to enable that some people to hear better than others?
Better if we try to keep the playing field as even as possible, not to go out of our way to enable more difference.
It doesn't give any advantage... It's the same sound, just have improved bit rate with more frequency into them (sound quality)...

If you hear a 64kbps mp3 and a 128kbps on the same encoder, you will hear what I mean.

And actually if I play AA on WindXP on my older laptop, I actually play with HARDWARE SOUND + EAX with my creative card (They work right away on windXP without needing creative alchemy)...

ps: Only wind Vista and above have hardware sound disabled into them, and creative alchemy just restore that for the older games (since modern games also don't support it).
Keep Cool
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 13:40:53 PM by guily6669 »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 15:27:50 PM »
Guily I think you're talking shit again.

ELiZ, all he wants is dsound.dll to not be deleted. All it does is give you environmental effects such as reverb, delay, slight ambient sounds. It just makes it more immersive. It does not let you hear further or glitch out the system.

Of course the difference between software and hardware is noticeable. This engine was built when single-core CPU's were roaming about and they wanted to minimize the load on the CPU. Software means it's rendered on the CPU, hardware means it's rendered on... other hardware. Whether or not it actually works these days is debatable but more than likely, Epic Games has more advanced settings for hardware such as higher channel count, less lossy renders and probably other stuff.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager