Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: HDD/Windows problems  (Read 14678 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: HDD/Windows problems
« Reply #30 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 14:10:58 PM »
ok I found the screen that spanky showed and it was on IDE. I changed to AHCI and restarted.  Unfortunately I still get to the "Reboot and select proper boot device..." error but a few seconds later i get another message underneath saying "A disk read error occurred Press crtl+alt+del to restart"

disk dead, believe it or not :D
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline =SKUL=SherminatorPT

« Reply #31 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 14:11:39 PM »
The best thing you can do is what i told you plug ur hdd in another pc backup all your stuff install a new os in the other hdd and ur done.
And btw, wtf is that windows vista dude?! Vista sucks, install windows 7.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 11, 2014, 16:22:16 PM by =SKUL=SherminatorPT »

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 21:28:25 PM »
yeah im starting to think its dead. but i dont understand how it can be dead and still spinning and humming?? unless dead just means it cant read and write stuff...

also how do i plug it into another computer and copy the files if the drive is dead?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #33 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 21:31:30 PM »
Dead can be a lot of things. Bad sectors, head misalignment, fried logic board, broken traces, broken wires, faulty chips.

It's amazing that they even work at all :)

You gotta see if you can get it to respond. Hook it up and see what you get. Might be lucky and find that it's just a corrupted Windows install due to bad sectors.

If it does absolutely nothing and won't show up in the Device Manager then throw it in the freezer for over an hour (even overnight) and then make a mad dash to plug it in and recover data. That's only a last resort as the condensation could fry something permanent.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 21:49:14 PM »
so what im thinking of doing is installing windows on the good drive.  that wont erase that drive right? Then once i have that settled ill try to get the bad drive to respond.

On another note: do you think I should buy a small ssd and install windows on that? make it only a boot drive.  or would it be wiser to spend a little more money on a larger ssd and put my files on there and windows on a regular hdd?  does anyone use ssd yet? or are they still too expensive?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #35 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 21:54:36 PM »
Samsung 840 EVO if you want a good SSD on the cheap. Insane speeds and their software makes em go even faster.

A SSD is pointless if you don't put Windows and all your programs on it. As far as files though, if they're JPG pictures or MP3's, they won't notice a difference. Larger files used for projects should be on the SSD though.

To install Windows, disconnect your bad drive (you don't want it running any longer than it has to be, shut it down ASAP). Hook up the good drive, install Windows as normal and then when that's done, hook up your old drive and try to pull data over.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 22:07:48 PM »
i actually just got to a point that ive never gotten to before.  I put the bad drive to boot first, then i booted from the CD, it loaded files, windows logo, then now im at system recovery options where i can startup repair, system restore, system image recovery, windows memory diag, and cmd prompt.

is there some way i can use the cmd prompt to transfer files over to my external via usb?? is that a thing?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #37 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 22:11:20 PM »
You might be able to but it would be tedious. The fact is, that really has nothing to do with your bad HDD, that's just the Windows DVD. I really urge you to quit messing around and get a live environment or a fresh install and THEN plug in your drive to copy things over. The longer you run your bad drive, the worse the chances for recovery.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 22:13:50 PM »
damn i got so excited haha

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 22:44:37 PM »
ive actually been watching this guy on youtube look at the hirens boot cd.  Looks pretty neat. i might use a tool called the Copywipe 1.14 to copy my hard drive

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #40 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 23:33:17 PM »
You don't want to copy your entire drive either.

Look, something happened on your hard drive, likely some kind of failure. At this point, you don't even know if the drive's files are still accessible.

If the drive just failed with bad sectors then data got corrupt in your Windows install. If that's the case, you don't want to waste time copying the corruption to another drive.

If there's some other kind of failure that is causing intermittent errors then you still don't want to waste time copying files you don't need (your entire Windows installation).

If there is ANYTHING at all important on the hard drive that you want, quit fucking around. Unplug the bad drive, boot something (fresh Windows install, WinXP on Hiren's Boot CD, whatever) and THEN plug in the drive and copy ONLY the important files off.

I've done this enough to know that the absolute worst thing to do is run the drive unnecessarily.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 00:02:34 AM »
ok i had no idea it was that simple just to plug it in an be able to see everything. I did just that and saved all the necessary files.  seems like every file is accessible when i was clicking around. 

do you think i should wipe the drive clean and install windows fresh on it and nothing else? or throw that shit away

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 00:16:50 AM »
If you have it hooked up as a slave drive, load up HDTune (I'll PM you a link). See what it says for SMART status. If everything is ok, maybe Windows just shat itself and you can re-install.

At the very least I would take this as an opportunity to get your important stuff on Dropbox if it will fit.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 00:33:51 AM »
alright ill have to check that out. Also i am on dropbox, so work files are always good.  Just some recently new stuff i havent backed up right away i needed to salvage.

thanks for the help by the way.  i always figure id get better help from these forums than anywhere else out there

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 00:34:47 AM »
Good to hear :) Post a screenshot of HDTune's Health tab when you get a chance, that'll let you know what's up.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager