Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: External HDD causing delay  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Jason

• View Profile
External HDD causing delay
« on: Friday, August 22, 2014, 11:36:36 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this "problem" that I'm having.  I have an external 3TB HDD connected via usb 3.0 that is just for backing up stuff.  One of it's features, like most externals im assuming, is that it sleeps when its not being used.  Which is fine and all, I can wait the few seconds for the disk to spin up when i want to access that drive.  But the weird thing is that for some tasks, like simply emptying the recycling bin, I sometimes have to wait a few seconds for the external to spin up before the trash can be emptied.  Not a huge deal, but just curious whats going on.

Jared

Re: External HDD causing delay
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 22, 2014, 12:00:02 PM »
tbh, i have never had good luck with external hdd's. I have a 500GB one that has about 3 years of work on it, that I can't really access. I had a small Toshiba one that died in under a year, same with my smaller seagate one. The only one that works is my samsung one. I don't think any of them can be trusted. Which sucks because every time they go out, i lose old work.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 22, 2014, 13:27:18 PM »
It's probably a Windows setting, in the Power Options. Personally, I wouldn't leave an external drive connected if you're using it for backups. They can get hot and you're causing extra wear & tear (especially the startups) that may cause it to unnecessarily fail down the road.

I believe you can also disable the Recycle Bin on select drives. I don't know the command for it though.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline jr2014

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 22, 2014, 15:25:34 PM »
like simply emptying the recycling bin, I sometimes have to wait a few seconds for the external to spin up before the trash can be emptied.  Not a huge deal, but just curious whats going on.
Your trash is scanning storage to delete some temporary file. If you enable "show hidden files" you can see temp or trash files there.
  I have "remove files immediatly wen deleted" on the global trash options and my storage never wake up.

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 22, 2014, 19:06:34 PM »
why external, this is not the way you should use windows.
if you own a house and you park your car on an external parking place - you do have to walk a longer way as you have to do for a parking place in house. easy, no?

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 22, 2014, 22:05:38 PM »
I don't have a garage. What are you trying to say Merlin? You think you're superior to us garageless folk?
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 01:02:38 AM »
I don't have a garage. What are you trying to say Merlin? You think you're superior to us garageless folk?
He's saying... Oh wait.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline jr2014

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 05:17:11 AM »

why external, this is not the way you should use windows.
His external hdd is only backing up stuff
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 05:20:50 AM by jr2014 »

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, August 23, 2014, 07:59:04 AM »
hihi, I didn't say I do have a garage.
so for the noobs :D
you and your friend are talking together. as more distance is between you both, as louder you have to talk (but this is easy to understand). so stay nearer and you do not have to shout out - you need less power. so it is with internal and external drives :D :D :D

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager