Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: HDD/Windows problems  (Read 14674 times)

Offline Jason

• View Profile
HDD/Windows problems
« on: Friday, August 08, 2014, 10:57:20 AM »
Just curious if anyone else has had this problem or knows of a solution.

I turned on my computer this morning, windows logo showed up, then it began to "load files" on a black screen, then proceeded to a screen like this:

I thought it was some kind of boot error so I restarted.  Same thing happens: windows logo, loading files, then instead went directly to this:

I let this thing run for almost 3 hours and, of course, nothing seems to happen. So instead of letting this thing run until the end of time i decided to restart again.  Restarts usually solve all problems right?

Now I don't get a windows logo, instead it goes right to this:

so now im stuck. No amount of restarts can get me away from this screen. BIOS is accessible. BIOS doesnt even recognize the HDD with windows on it (I have 2 internal HDD, 1 with windows thats shitting itself and 1 that just backs up files).  I've switched SATA cables and thats not the issue.  The HDD is humming and vibrating so I know its not dead. 

Im 90% sure windows 7 is the culprit so im trying to get my hands on a disk so i can fix this.  Though I would like to keep all of my files and just repair windows. Anyone have any ideas? comments? advice on how to not lose my files in the process of fixing windows? thanks.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
Re: HDD/Windows problems
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 08, 2014, 11:18:31 AM »
What I would try is to run a Linux distribution from a disc and see if that recognizes the HDD. If it does, then just copy the data to another drive and after that try to repair your windows using the disk (it shouldn't delete everything, but don't take my word for it).

If Linux doesn't see your partition either, I would be out of ideas.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Nick

• Administrator
  • Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 08, 2014, 11:29:35 AM »
What I would try is to run a Linux distribution from a disc and see if that recognizes the HDD. If it does, then just copy the data to another drive and after that try to repair your windows using the disk (it shouldn't delete everything, but don't take my word for it).

If Linux doesn't see your partition either, I would be out of ideas.

Definitely the best idea here, try running an ubuntu live CD or something like that to try and recover the files. Then either try repairing the windows OS or do a reload.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 08, 2014, 12:28:16 PM »
My guess is that it's the hard drive going tits up. Instead of messing with a Linux distro which can be incredibly frustrating, grab Hiren's Boot CD and boot the live Windows XP. It'll be a familiar interface and you can move data off your drive if it stays alive long enough.

After you get the data off, there's oodles of utilities in HBCD that will let you scan hard drive health and see if it's faulty.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline =SKUL=SherminatorPT

« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 08, 2014, 14:04:28 PM »
go to youtube and see how to fix windows 7 mbr, it seems either ur HDD is dying or it lost its boot files wich you can remake if you have a windows 7 disck by going into command prompt.
Worked many times for me, also did you tryed to force boot with f12 and select you'r system disk ?
Tell me one thing, did you shut down ur computer the hard way like long press on power key or you had some power failure?
« Last Edit: Friday, August 08, 2014, 15:28:47 PM by =SKUL=SherminatorPT »

Offline ~=W!CK!D=~

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 08, 2014, 18:01:39 PM »
If u need a hard drive I have a bunch laying around. U pay the shipping cost only

Offline bollie

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 08, 2014, 19:13:25 PM »
Yeah i have great negative experiences with sending harddisks by post.... doa doa doaaaaa all the time lol

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #7 on: Friday, August 08, 2014, 19:32:30 PM »
Hard drives can withstand quite a bit of damage in the mail. I think most I've seen are rated to 1,000 g's? That's a lot of force. Still, I have a hard time trusting new drives let alone used ones.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline zoxee

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, August 09, 2014, 07:06:01 AM »
Looks like you caught some virus which affected the MBR by modifying the partition table.
Get some tool like acronis disk director free from another pc, create a boot disk and
reboot your pc with that disk. Once in the menu go to repair master boot record, that should do it.
If not, my guess would be that the critical amount of uncorrectable sectors has been reached
and your drive has given up, or the mbr lies now on such a sector. In that case i hope you
imaged your drive somehow, otherwise you won't come around of installing everything new.

Hope it helped.
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: nfy.[BLANK]
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, August 09, 2014, 07:37:00 AM »
Yeah, your MBR is screwed. I don't think it's necessarily a virus, though. It could be; it may probably be, in fact. But every single time I've encountered this, it was because of Windows Update.

Fixing the MBR can be quite easy, but it all depends on what resources are on your HDD and what actually happened to the system. Access the command prompt via Startup Repair, and then type:
BootRec.exe /fixmbr

If your HDD contains no ancillary partition housing BootRec.exe, this may not work.
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 09, 2014, 07:38:34 AM by WORLDCHANCELLOR »

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, August 09, 2014, 10:00:48 AM »
Yeah, your MBR is screwed. I don't think it's necessarily a virus, though. It could be; it may probably be, in fact. But every single time I've encountered this, it was because of Windows Update.

Fixing the MBR can be quite easy, but it all depends on what resources are on your HDD and what actually happened to the system. Access the command prompt via Startup Repair, and then type:
BootRec.exe /fixmbr

If your HDD contains no ancillary partition housing BootRec.exe, this may not work.
[/quote
That' s what i said ...

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, August 09, 2014, 10:26:36 AM »
your disk crashed if not accessible by bios.
you can try to run a disk analyzing program - search by manufacturer site for it.
but almost 100% sure, disk is gone :(

Offline zoxee

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, August 09, 2014, 11:27:22 AM »

BootRec.exe /fixmbr

That' s what i said ...

lol
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, August 09, 2014, 12:28:24 PM »

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: nfy.[BLANK]
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, August 09, 2014, 17:25:27 PM »

BootRec.exe /fixmbr

[/quote
That' s what i said ...

lol x3 --- No, you sent him to YouTube. If you have specificity, provide it. Don't say that's what you said if you didn't say it. If it's because I mentioned the MBR, then why didn't you say that to Zoxee? lolx4

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager