Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: HDD/Windows problems  (Read 14677 times)

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: nfy.[BLANK]
Re: HDD/Windows problems
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, August 09, 2014, 17:31:50 PM »
Actually, dude, has your controller designation been changed in the bios? Go into your bios and see if it's currently set to AHCI, RAID, or IDE. Let us know which one it's set to, and say whether you knew it what it was set to before. For SATA, it should be AHCI.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, August 10, 2014, 16:00:07 PM »
Actually, dude, has your controller designation been changed in the bios? Go into your bios and see if it's currently set to AHCI, RAID, or IDE. Let us know which one it's set to, and say whether you knew it what it was set to before. For SATA, it should be AHCI.
im in my bios and there are no options like that.  I have the asrock 970 extreme3 btw and it uses this "user friendly" ASrock EUFI setup utility.  Its SATA so it should be AHCI i guess. Never had a raid configuration.

In this picture where it says "SATA:..." or "RAID:...", in my case it says SATA.  But in my boot options that HDD with windows doesnt even show up. 

I should have my windows 7 disk by tomorrow, then I will boot from that and give the cmd prompt a try.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 10, 2014, 16:03:35 PM by Jason »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, August 10, 2014, 16:19:39 PM »
That's not the page where you would change it, have a look here:

With that said, I don't think your problem is switching from RAID to AHCI. What happens in that case is either a BSOD or just a plain restart while trying to start Windows. It really sounds like a hard drive failure or if you're lucky, a crappy SATA cable.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline zoxee

« Reply #18 on: Sunday, August 10, 2014, 16:34:22 PM »
Why don't you give a try to what i wrote earlier
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: nfy.[BLANK]
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, August 10, 2014, 16:39:13 PM »
That's not the page where you would change it, have a look here:

With that said, I don't think your problem is switching from RAID to AHCI. What happens in that case is either a BSOD or just a plain restart while trying to start Windows. It really sounds like a hard drive failure or if you're lucky, a crappy SATA cable.

Spanky, some users of Win 7 and 8 have reported that a change from AHCI to IDE or IDE to AHCI has caused a very similar (if not the exact) issue. In this help request thread here (http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/22126-changing-ide-ahci-caused-no-boot.html), the OP says, "The OS is installed while the mode was set for IDE, and afterward it was changed to AHCI. Now, the system does not boot. 'Attempting repair' is displayed and the process does not advance."

I remembered hearing people say this had occurred. So I was wondering if that could possibly do it. This does sound like HDD failure, but you never know with these damn things.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, August 10, 2014, 17:14:46 PM »
I know about that problem in switching the controller settings. I do that a lot actually. All you have to do is change a registry entry (IAStor or something...) then restart and change the controller setting.

My concern lies in Jason saying he got this:

That is NEVER caused by switching from AHCI to IDE or vice-versa. That is caused though, by a dying hard drive, bad SATA cable or even a faulty motherboard. If the hard drive is dying, the first thing that should be done is to boot a live OS, plug in the hard drive and make a mad dash for copying files off, if that's even possible at this point. Once that's done, troubleshooting can continue and if it's not the drive, oh well. But if it is, and it completely dies while trying to troubleshoot, some important stuff could be gone.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline =SKUL=SherminatorPT

« Reply #21 on: Sunday, August 10, 2014, 17:31:03 PM »
lol x3 --- No, you sent him to YouTube. If you have specificity, provide it. Don't say that's what you said if you didn't say it. If it's because I mentioned the MBR, then why didn't you say that to Zoxee? lolx4
What i said was "go to youtube and see how to fix windows 7 mbr" i did mencioned mbr before anyone else here, i told him to go to youtube cuz its easier to see how to do it there if people dont know.

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #22 on: Sunday, August 10, 2014, 19:19:23 PM »
disk dead, believe it or not :D

Offline =SKUL=SherminatorPT

« Reply #23 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 07:21:46 AM »
Plug your hdd in another pc try to copy all your stuff and then try installing a new copy of your OS. But like merlin said hdd is dead, buy a  new one.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 10:52:20 AM »
ok I found the screen that spanky showed and it was on IDE. I changed to AHCI and restarted.  Unfortunately I still get to the "Reboot and select proper boot device..." error but a few seconds later i get another message underneath saying "A disk read error occurred Press crtl+alt+del to restart"

I finally have my hands on a windows 7 disk by the way. 

my next step will be to restart and see if anything changes.  then Ill switch some sata cables around again.  then ill put that disk in.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 11:02:29 AM »
so none of that is working...probably going to put the windows 7 disk.

also lets keep in mind that I have 2 HDDs:
1) WD no windows (Good one)
2) Seagate with windows (Bad one)

would it be wise/possible to install windows fresh on the WD in a different partition or something?

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #26 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 12:00:02 PM »
i would not make partitions to be honest. not for a operating system.
take the new disk, put it in, be sure clable are prober connected. to be sure windows will install all its needed parts on one disk, you should disconnect the good disk (WD). you can connect it later when all win installed proper on the new one.
select at bios the new disk as boot device and start installing windows. then download all updates and install as soon as possible a firewall and antivirus app.
then go on with all others...
good luck.

but it is possible to install win on that WD drive on a new partition.... but do not :)

Offline zoxee

« Reply #27 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »
Why don't you give a try to what i wrote earlier
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 12:21:06 PM »
Looks like you caught some virus which affected the MBR by modifying the partition table.
Get some tool like acronis disk director free from another pc, create a boot disk and
reboot your pc with that disk. Once in the menu go to repair master boot record, that should do it.
If not, my guess would be that the critical amount of uncorrectable sectors has been reached
and your drive has given up, or the mbr lies now on such a sector. In that case i hope you
imaged your drive somehow, otherwise you won't come around of installing everything new.

Hope it helped.
Dont worry man i saw it.  Just trying to fix with what I have first.  Dont have any blank dvds at the moment

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday, August 11, 2014, 12:52:33 PM »
Ive been booting with the disk and have been getting to a screen similar to this but with different options like windows setup[ems enabled], and x64 recovery mode[ems enabled]:

by hitting f8 I can get to this screen (except for the repair computer option):

safe mode only gives me a black screen with a cursor

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager