Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: CPU and GPU usage weirdness  (Read 4257 times)

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: nfy.[BLANK]
CPU and GPU usage weirdness
« on: Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 04:33:20 AM »
So I'm trying to find out why AA won't use up more than 7-10% or so of my Intel quad-core CPU, and why it will barely even use the same of my GPU (EVGA GTX 650 TI 2GB). I can run everything on the highest possible settings via the game and via the Nvidia control panel (antialiasing maxed, anisotropic filtering maxed, highest quality, etc); and with these settings, I get 90% until I encounter enemies or a bunch of textures, although CPU and GPU usage remains the same (barely anything) during these FPS fluctuations/inconsistencies. When I put all the settings on the lowest it can go (both via the game and NV control panel), it's the exact same performance, not a tad bit better or worse. That's BIZARRE and makes absolutely no sense at all.

Something has to be wrong. Help? Thoughts?

Offline Mixk

Re: CPU and GPU usage weirdness
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 05:21:16 AM »
Maybe your computer is overqualified for AA2 and the version of the unreal game engine it's based on? I am curious about this also. My poor old and 8 plus year dated pc doesn't take much of a hit in frames when I max all the video settings out. But boy my ISP and their inability to get me any consistency what so ever in my internet speeds and quality will have me standing toe to toe with an enemy shooting them in face or even come up behind one and shoot them way before they know I am there, next thing you know I am pushing up daises. Pop out game and my internet has dropped to 2Mbps down and .30Mbps up and latency and jitter have jumped up considerably. Sometimes there will also be some packet loss other times none.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 08:21:24 AM »
From what I know, AA (or rather the UE) is designed to run on one processor, so dual, quad (or however many) cores will not help you performance-wise.

I'm pretty sure your rig is a complete overkill performance wise for this game and engine.

As for the bad performance in game even though you have pleanty of resources left over, all I can think of is that the game engine is slow and it might be that the game is modifying enough stuff for it to not play 100% smooth on any rig you give it. I simply don't know.
What I do know, is that I've played AA on a number of computers (both laptops and PCs) and I've never seen a computer that never struggles with it. My FPS could be max all the time, but still it will freeze for half a second every couple of minutes.

All in all, I would blame the engine and the game, but I think the performance was increased in later versioons where directx 9 was usable. Not sure if this was the cause or something else, but I've seen a lot of people say later versions were smoother on high performance machines.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Jared

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 10:51:27 AM »
As teddy says, its a single core game, dual or quad wont help. Along with that AA is a CPU intensive game, it doesn't require a great GPU.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 11:42:19 AM »
I used to have a good GPU and AA wouldn't use 100% of a single core or the GPU. It's just poor/old programming. You gotta remember that it runs on an old engine, an old version of DirectX and there's inefficiencies in how the code is written. I don't know where the limit is but having a super computer won't help.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline -NicK.!

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 13:26:18 PM »
I used to have a good GPU and AA wouldn't use 100% of a single core or the GPU. It's just poor/old programming. You gotta remember that it runs on an old engine, an old version of DirectX and there's inefficiencies in how the code is written. I don't know where the limit is but having a super computer won't help.
Well it is interesting because my cpu usage it usually at 15-23% and I am on a much better processor than him. It just doesn't seem to make sense and the only reasoning i can think of is that its just the engine.

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 13:39:43 PM »
Yeah, I totally understand all that, but what Nick just said is the thing that's baffling. If you think my rig is overkill for the game, his is godlike for the game -- ABSOLUTE overkill. And it gives him about double the CPU usage, and he's at a constant 90 FPS, no matter what. Something's gotta be up with that. I'm gonna figure that shit out one day. lol

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 15:09:17 PM »
It could be the engine, it could be limitations in DX8, who knows. AA may rely more on bus speed for memory transfers...

I just know that it made little difference on a Intel dual and quad core at over 3.5GHz and an AMD x6 Phenom. I had better FPS on my GTX 275 versus the crap 8600GT I have now but not tons better.

It's just how the game is. Might be why 2.8.5 is DX9 and has more engine optimizations.

Jared

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 15:45:54 PM »
Isn't that my epic 8600GT? :D

Even in 2.8.5 DX9 wasn't supported by default, and some people like ACI, AON had cvars against it. Its possible to get more performance out of the game and engine, but I don't think you can do it without the source or a way to recompile it.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 15:51:23 PM »
Nah, yours is on my desk. 256MB RAM on the GPU isn't even enough to play Netflix. I forget, it might be an 8800GT in my machine now.

We would definitely need the engine source. Epic did some cool stuff for UT2004, even having 64-bit support which could be nice if there's performance improvements.

Offline Ganja

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 16:03:53 PM »
684 gb RAMNetflix GPU GTX FPS 15% 3gHrtz default Phenom8600 right?

Offline Bart!

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 16:57:56 PM »
I lag with my 4.00 ghz octocore processor and GTX 760 vidcard.

What I usually do:

ctrl shift escape
-> details
-> right click armyops.exe when its running
-> set affinity
only tick 1 processor.

FPS then is constant on the highest for me.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, August 05, 2014, 16:59:40 PM »
Probably a good idea to set ArmyOps.exe to above normal priority too.

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 06, 2014, 22:43:44 PM »
I've been trying some things. I'll report back when I find what the issue is, or if I discover some improvements.

Offline jipvankuijk

• View Profile
    • My website (If you're interested in photography take a look.)
« Reply #14 on: Friday, October 03, 2014, 05:12:26 AM »
Okay so don't bully me! I've got a Mac!!!

Mac Pro with two Intel Xeon X5570 processors (2,93Ghz quadcore) obviously overkill for this game...
24GB of ECC RAM
and a AMD 7950 3GB gpu thing...

the game runs at 90 fps always... don't know about the cpu usage etc etc anyway if it uses only one core it means it runs on 3.33GHz I think.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager