Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Server - CacheSizeMegs=?  (Read 10517 times)

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

Re: Server - CacheSizeMegs=?
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 09:25:50 AM »
yes, this might be true.
I will so some checks today with that values. you can have a look if you like how it does impact.

[SWISS]ClanServer I:
CacheSizeMegs=256
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=10000
ConfiguredLanSpeed=10000
KeepAliveTime=0.4
NetServerMaxTickRate=35
LanServerMaxTickRate=35

Server II:
CacheSizeMegs=512
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=10000
ConfiguredLanSpeed=10000
KeepAliveTime=0.4
NetServerMaxTickRate=35
LanServerMaxTickRate=35

Server III:
CacheSizeMegs=512
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=15000
ConfiguredLanSpeed=15000
KeepAliveTime=0.8
NetServerMaxTickRate=45
LanServerMaxTickRate=45

Server IIII:
CacheSizeMegs=512
ConfiguredLanSpeed=15000
KeepAliveTime=1.0
NetServerMaxTickRate=50
LanServerMaxTickRate=50

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 12:34:07 PM »
What do you think, should we use them in "our" auth?
I say no. Players shouldn't be limited to servers by their honor. It's largely a useless metric these days as "new" players can have 60+ honor because they played years ago. It's not like if you set minimum honor to 50 that you'll only get skilled and respectful members in your server. :)
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #32 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 16:22:18 PM »
I say yes, because you can - as local admin - select what you want. why was it by dev's to have it?
so let have it back. if it will be taken for some strange reasons, we can switch it off again, right?
yes.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 16:28:29 PM »
Default is 35 anyways... is higher better, or lower?
higher should be better, but increases the CPU/Bandwidth usage; there are tutorials arround (along with MaxClientRate, this limits the max NetSpeed on clients)

"First of all. Higher tickrate does not improve ping. Very common misconception. What it actually does, is to reduce the time between each time the server handles incoming data, and sends out new data. So let me explain it in more complex terms."

http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Netspeed_Tutorial_(UT)
http://www.unrealadmin.org/server_ini_reference/ut2004
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 16:32:07 PM by Possessed »
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #34 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 17:14:45 PM »
thanks possessed, I did read them.
so for me, and this is practice - not high talking - I will change all server to the value like server III it has.
all good there, no lag or freeze, all happy with that.
maybe I will come back to say --- wasn't that good at all - but I just do it for real, not for paperwork :)

Offline Goncalo

• View Profile
  • AA: Goncalo
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 17:31:04 PM »
ive read everywhere that doesnt reduce ping, but the truth is that it does. you can try urself, the diference between 25 tick and 35 tick can be around 10 15 ping difence for me

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #36 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 17:53:24 PM »
yes, but no one is thinking about the settings all together. only one by one, yes.
but try to run them all at once. completely different results.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 22:09:16 PM »
I smell mumbo jumbo voodoo.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #38 on: Saturday, February 01, 2014, 07:44:07 AM »
and now let us see this one. 38 players on the servers and this is the result of the usage:

and these are the current settings:
CacheSizeMegs=512
ConfiguredLanSpeed=15000
KeepAliveTime=0.6
NetServerMaxTickRate=45
LanServerMaxTickRate=45
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 01, 2014, 07:46:42 AM by [SWISS]Merlin »

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, February 01, 2014, 08:43:06 AM »
I guess ConfiguredInternetSpeed=15000/ConfiguredLanSpeed=15000 is ClientSide only. you should look at 'MaxClientRate'

"Server Admin Notice
You got an option in your .ini file under [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] called MaxClientRate. The default value of this is usually 20000, which means, the client can maximum get 20000 bytes *FROM* server per second. By reducing this value, you can actually optimize the server bandwidth. If you are planning on running a 10 player server on a 512/512 kbit sdsl line, you will have 64kbyte(64KB) up/down, so setting MaxClientRate to 64000/10 = 6400 means you will reduce the chance of having packetloss. This setting will also limit the client upload rate, forcing him to keep a netspeed between 2000 and MaxClientRate."

- From what I understood, for a server with 26 slots and leaving around ~10KBs up/down for each player(assuming the server is full, when Not full, I guess the players will have more than ~10KB avaliable), MaxClientrate is set to 260000(/26 = 10000), 260000 is ~ 253KBs.
TickRate 45 is 22.2ms between each tick on the server(while 50 = 20ms & 100 = 10ms).

"Lets have a ping of 60 in DOS to a certain server. This means a packet of data uses 60 milliseconds to go from your superfantastic computer to the crappy tickrate 20 server in Uganda and back. In other words. Now because of the complexity of the net, this doesn't mean it uses 30ms to reach the server, and 30ms to travel back. (Asymmetric routing) Someone else will have to explain why this is so. But lets assume that this is actually the true thing this time. The data DOES use 30ms to travel from your computer to the server, and 30ms to reach your computer again. Let's put in some more numbers. The tickrate! We know that it's 50ms between each tick on server. So let's take worst case. The packet of data we send, uses 30ms to reach server. The server has just completed a tick before the data arrived, so the data has to wait for 50ms. Ok, data has waited 50ms and been processed, and now leaves the server for the client to happily enjoy. This takes another 30ms. So to add it up, the packet used 30+50+30 = 110ms to travel from client to server, be processed on server, and return to client.
Another thing that affects result is your own framerate. Your computer will not handle data while it's busy telling the video card what to show you. A framerate of 100fps means that it's another 1000ms/100 = 10ms between each time it can handle data."

ELiZ? :P
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #40 on: Saturday, February 01, 2014, 09:16:42 AM »
good job Possessed, nice explained. thank you!

I will try with all the settings, like you did write above. and I have the luck to ask over 500 IT professionals at my work, witch kind of setting - in this case - would be the best at all.

so lets find out finally, witch of all those settings will bring the best performance - and in witch case. for me, atm, these settings are the best ever I had. but I will go on with doing more tests for sure.

btw: this is not a super computer, only a little 4 core cpu, 16gb ram, ssd ...cost's about 800$. but for sure more powerful then a hosted virtual machine. the only optimization point I have now is the router, given from my internet provider. maybe I will change that, but I am not sure about the effect (would mean another 300$).
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 01, 2014, 09:20:27 AM by [SWISS]Merlin »

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: nfy.[BLANK]
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, March 22, 2014, 15:31:57 PM »
It's going on 9 years now since I've learned that increasing cachesizemegs generally degrades performance, and that reducing it is much more likely to increase performance (if you're coming from it being increased). I've had it at '1' for quite some time. The first time I noticed this, it was VERY noticeable, especially coming from cachesizemegs being set to 1024/512, etc.

As for tickrate, we valued this dearly back in the days of intense competition, money tournaments, etc. We were so obsessed by it that there were server companies (like "velocity servers") who had 100-tick servers. The servers were so damn smooth that playing on them was like heaven, sheer bliss. It all made sense in our competition servers, even when we were killed; we always knew exactly 'why' we died, which was great information to have. lol

One thing that I never realized about tickrate all these years, until recently, after I set up one of these assist servers on my PC, was that it actually DID seem to affect the ping, making it lower for everyone. I'm not entirely sure why it did this, but it did. I'm setting up another server now to do further testing on this and other things.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 22, 2014, 15:33:51 PM by WORLDCHANCELLOR »

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #42 on: Saturday, March 22, 2014, 16:13:46 PM »
great. soon you will meet my config :D

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager