Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Pimping up server  (Read 50630 times)

Offline [-PB-]Punisher

Pimping up server
« on: Friday, January 04, 2013, 14:10:31 PM »
Okay, like said would like to share some of the settings ive spotted that can be useful to make gameplay a bit better, some of the values are examples, so you have to find your own to make YOUR server run like desired (smooth). Everyone have to remember that unreal2 engine is old, very old and in 2002 it was made to suit hardware of that time, thus some of the values were set low, to make possible for game and server to be run, on the hardware of its era. This day, we dont need to think that anymore, our hardware is more than 10x powerful than old highend machines were, thus we can pretty much concentrate on, how good we can actually make the gameplay itself. Everyone who has worked around server and clientside of unreal engines, need to admit that UE2 has a LOT of potential, for that old game engine :)

From here you can read pretty much what happens inside the server and client interaction, when values are messed: http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Netspeed_Tutorial_%28UT%29

Also those, who are REALLY interested in Americas Army 2 server side tech, should read all Unreal 2003/2004 based documentation to understand what US Army Dev team has used to run their game. Well okay, Devs shoulda read those documents by themselves, but sometimes ppl are without skills to read, or at least understand what they read :P Anyway, the link: http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Main_Page

Its easier to put up server .ini files here and comment the values to let you see what is what, prolly? :o Some of the values have moved from ACTUAL server ini to aa25.ini and also some what should be in command line are also set in inis, aa25 assist devs can explain why, dont ask me :)

/System/server/aa25serv.ini is presented from only those parts, what we should be interested in.

Code: [Select]

[Core.System]
PurgeCacheDays=5 = cache memory purge time, default 30 if you want lots of unneeded shit to ur server root

[Engine.GameEngine]
CacheSizeMegs=256 <= game instance "cache memory" saves you from some hdd swapping and microlag, should use reasonable values, didnt see any difference after 256Mb

[Engine.Player]
ConfiguredInternetSpeed=20000 <= netspeed PER player in bits, it aint using much :D default 8-10k depending on version
ConfiguredLanSpeed=20000 <= no affect, unless server is set to LAN mode

MaxClientRate=20000 <= more of clientside setup, reflects to internetspeed on server side

NetServerMaxTickRate=35 <= server tickrate, use with caution, above 50 values tend to make AR shoot a LOT quicker thus spiling server balance 30-40 are okay, read unreal tut to open this a bit more, short: smoothens client game experience
LanServerMaxTickRate=35 <= same setup for LAN server

[Engine.AccessControl] <= values moved to /System/aa25.ini
AdminPassword=
GamePassword=

[Engine.GameInfo] <= these are also clientside, "violence" settings, dunno if they affect from server as well..
bLowGore=False
bVeryLowGore=False
bChangeLevels=False
GoreLevel=0

MaxSpectators=2 <= max spectator amount
MaxPlayers=26 <= max player amount
MaxAdmins=3 <= max playeradmin amount, be able to simultaneusly connect to server
bLocalLog=True <= logging events, self explanatory
bWorldLog=True <= logging events, self explanatory
bEnableStatLogging=True <= logging events, self explanatory
bWeaponStay=False <= if im correct this allows weapons to be stayed on field at end of round..?
sbAllowWeaponThrowing=True <= player to be able to drop weapon
bAllowBehindView=False <= 3rd person view
bAdminCanPause=False <= admin pause, not propably working at all

GoalScore=0 <= goalscore to win round, aka score victory "mode" prolly not even working..
MaxLives=0 <= same here, prolly not working, ue2004 stuff
TimeLimit=7 <= round time limit

[AGP_Gameplay.AGP_GameTeam]
FFScoreLimit=600 <= friendly fire limit aka roe limit
MaxTeamSize=13, <= max members per team
bPlayersBalanceTeams=True <= player teambalance
bAutoBalanceBetweenRounds=true <= auto teambalance
bNeverAutoBalance=False <= self explanatory
bSpectatePlayersOnly=true <= spectate viewpoints
bSpectateFirstPersonOnly=true <= self explanatory
bSpectateFriendsOnly=true <= same here
bSpectateBodies=False <= like also, who wants to look at dead ppl anyway??
bEnableROEKickTimer=True <= enable roe kick "timer", server kicks for early roe aka spawnkill
bEnableROEKick=True <= self explanatory
bEnableROEKickDeath=False <= kill on roe aka player dies as punishment when he takes ROE

[AGP_Gameplay.AGP_GameDeathMatch]
MinNetPlayers=0 <= minimum playercount to start round
InitialWarmupTime=30 <= tournament warmup
bCycleMaps=False <= mamcycle, didnt work in original
RoundsPerMatch=7 <= roundcount, moved to aa25.ini
MatchesBeforeCycle=16 <= match count, before mapcycle
bKickIdlePlayersTimed=false <= timer for idle kick this engine allows both rounds/minutes to be used as idle status
bKickIdlePlayersRounds=true <= round timer is enabled, to disable set false
bKickIdleSpectators=true <= idle specs to be kicked, hell yeah!
IdlePlayerKickTime=2 <= 2 minutes idle and youre out!
IdlePlayerKickRounds=2 <= two rounds idle and youre OUT!
bTournamentMode=False <= tournament mode on/off, enable True
bWeaponStay=False <= weapons save at end of round (in world)
bAllowWeaponThrowing=True <= players can drop weapons
ResetTimeDelay=0 <= this is propably weapon stay reset time, not sure, useless anyway :P

[AGP_Gameplay.AGP_GameMultiPlayer]
bRequireAuthorization=False <= server authorization
bMPCheatsEnabled=False <= multiplayer cheats, to enable True
VoteKick_Cooldown=3.000000 <= votekick cooldown time, in minutes (and parts of minutes)
MinHonor=1 <= server MINIMUM player honor who is able to join
MaxHonor=100 <= server MAXIMUM honor for player to join

[Engine.GameReplicationInfo]
ServerName=
ShortName=
AdminName=
AdminEmail=
ServerRegion=0
MOTDLine1=
MOTDLine2=
MOTDLine3=
MOTDLine4=
MOTDDisplaySeconds=30 <= how long to show motd while joining server
bHUDHideAmmoCount=false <= hide ammo count on hud
bHUDHideWeaponStatus=false <= hide auto/single from hud
bHUDHideWeapon=false <= hide weapon type from hud (whats in use)
bHUDHideGrenades=false <= hide grenade types/counts from hud
bHUDHideHealth=false <= hide soldier health from hud
bHUDHideMedical=false <= hide medic status from hud
bHUDHideCombatEffect=false <= hide green/yellow/red status from hud
bHUDHideOptics=false <= hide optics from hud
bHUDHideCompass=false <= hide compass from hud
bHUDHideTimer=false <= hide round time from hud
bHUDHideObjectives=false <= hide objective directions from hud
bHUDHideRadar=false <= hide radar from soldier hud

[AGP_Gameplay.AGP_MapList] <= map rotation moved to aa25.ini
Maps=insurgent_camp
Maps=bridge
MapNum=0

Banned? Your brother, friend, dog using your account excuse won't work!![/color]

http://www.game42.com/images/game42_sigu.jpg[/img][/url]

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
Re: Pimping up server
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 04, 2013, 14:26:00 PM »
I guess Assist servers are started as LAN servers to avoid they calling old auth, thats why Assist uses the query mod.
I tried high tickrate(128 on both client/server and netspeed 80000 in both too) before and I did not noticed AR shooting faster;
« Last Edit: Friday, January 04, 2013, 14:28:10 PM by Possessed »
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline [-PB-]Punisher

« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 04, 2013, 15:05:30 PM »
not saying fire rates are not synced in aa2 (they are "somehow"), but there is possibility to gain that oddity while toying around with settings too much. plus with basic math, one can see there are advantages AND disadvantages if done incorrect combination :) netspeed 80k +overhigh tick = nothing try instead 25k netspeed + 35tick => you SHOULD see a bit smoother game experience. leave other things alone in client and just open throttle a bit from client end, giving netspeed that same 25k.
Banned? Your brother, friend, dog using your account excuse won't work!![/color]

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 04, 2013, 16:11:47 PM »
ofc the "hit detection" is improved with "high" rate/netspeed;I know theres a way to calculate both values, was just testing it with CS:GO rates, obvious different engine and must not have the same effect;

edit,
you have to change "MaxClientRate" client side too or your netspeed willbe stuck at 10000 even if the server allow you to have a higher value.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 04, 2013, 16:32:15 PM by Possessed »
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Offline [-PB-]Punisher

« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 04, 2013, 17:07:01 PM »
yes, you can change clientrate typing console: netspeed xxxxx on the fly. and as far i remember somewhere around 30k was maximum with any effect, if server allowes it. usually played on known good servers with netspeed set to 20000. im not sure what is maximum supported tickrate for engine, could throw out a guess its 100, cause havent found documentation which would mention it to be higher.

also people might want to look at this clientside guide, most of the information is quite well explained, and well, may or may not have some impact on game experience.
http://www.tweakguides.com/AASF_1.html

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 04, 2013, 22:03:11 PM »
changing netspeed on the fly only "works" if you edit the "MaxClientRate" line in your ArmyOps.ini that's what I meant.
eg MaxClientRate=30000 so you can set your netspeed to max of 30000, then it faces the server limits but client side netspeed will be "unlocked"(you will be able to set it up to the number on maxclientrate but will be stuck at the one server-sided).

Offline Mixk

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 05, 2013, 07:58:13 AM »
I have been reading the netspeed tutorial and I have came to a conclusion. :idea: This old dog can still learn something.  :up:  Have adjusted netspeed  occasionally over the years on the client end to adjust for poor internet. But there was and is way more to it and that tutorial clears up a lot with the combination of tickrate and netspeed. Also helps explain why at times a person thinks they are putting 15 plus rounds in an enemy before he even pulls the trigger, yet you wind up dead and enemy is just scratched or unharmed.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Offline [-PB-]Punisher

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, January 05, 2013, 09:10:11 AM »
yep, if people would understand the engine operations at least some points, they would understand that not all those who are good players are hackers, and sometimes internet does its own tricks :)

Offline Mixk

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 05, 2013, 16:39:31 PM »
yep, if people would understand the engine operations at least some points, they would understand that not all those who are good players are hackers, and sometimes internet does its own tricks :)
LOL I am getting old and am very lax in passing  judgement of a players natural skill or artificially enhanced skill and end up with needed proof before I do anything which generally means I am cursed on occasion not by the dirty players but by the others wondering why I let a suspect hack play. I then explain that's all they are till I have the proof, SUSPECT, nothing more nothing less. Think I am getting old geezer syndrome.  :shock: :shock:
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Offline [-PB-]Punisher

« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 07, 2013, 14:11:29 PM »
naah, its called fair play and making decisions based on evidence, aka honourable behaviour. you dont send ppl to jail, for suspected crimes, everyone gets fair chance of proofing their innocence before theyre sent away.

Offline True-Grit

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 14:07:55 PM »
So what is the exact command to adjust the tickrate and net speed to  quote  "play with the big boys" ?  Cause it always seems i come up on the short end of the stick. Would be nice to share  :D

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 14:19:05 PM »
I'm sorry if I'm mistaken, but it seems to me you'd like to alter your own tickrate? Tickrate really only applies to servers. It basically determines how many times a second the server sends and receives information.
What I guess you could do on your own part is increase FPS, but I'm pretty sure your FPS is already high enough so a couple more would probably not do much (if any) difference.
If you were in fact talking about servers, then it's somewhere in their .ini files, but I really don't know which one, you can try searching in them.

As for net speed
NetSpeed xxxx - Sets netspeed to different setting
But I do believe there are certain minimum and maximum values that this can be set to (according to the CVARs), but I really don't know those values.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 03:32:04 AM »
in the past, i tried a lot of those settings like speed, tickrate and so.

you should NOT change them at all, you server is going not better. the only thing realy works is to set

CacheSizeMegs=256

default is 64, and this is to low for todays hardware.
but if you put that on a higher value then 256, you will get a crash while switching between programs, like playing aa2 and other stuff.

Offline LPS.James

• View Profile
    • Low Ping Servers
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 07:21:56 AM »
Tickrate can be tricky merlin, Check out this post, its got a great display of what tickrate is and how it works.  For a servers changed tickrate to work, the client also has to adjust their net speed accordingly.

http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Netspeed_Tutorial_%28UT%29

LowPingServers.com Leave Lag Behind!

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, October 30, 2013, 08:25:11 AM »
thanks for the info -SmokEe^

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager