Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: ddos attack - hit gametracker  (Read 1935 times)

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

ddos attack - hit gametracker
« on: Saturday, February 02, 2013, 09:13:37 AM »
hi all

i am just here to inform you about something special. you remember the problems with the auth system a few days ago, do you?

out there, some realy bad noobs did attack by distributed denial of service (ddos) some servers. i guess our auth server was also hit by them.

but what i know now for sure is, that 176 clients from a botnet (clients under control from attacker, without knowing by owner) did attack the gameserver from gametracker. and they did it at a special way by doing amplification - using the domain name servers (dns) from switzerland - lol. for the ones which are interested in, below the link for details.

and now for all, you can see how simple it is to disturb or to denie a service - you do not even have need to overload the bandwidth of the internet connection. and this can happen to everyone. so if that would happen again, just relax, do not cry about (because this is what the intruder likes), make a step back and wait.

i realy hope, that this has stopped now, but just in case if not.

http://securityblog.switch.ch/2013/01/22/using-packetq/#more-1098
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 02, 2013, 09:16:33 AM by [SWISS]Merlin »

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • "I got soul but i'm not a soldier..."
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
  • AA: [PTwars]b!6
Re: ddos attack - hit gametracker
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, February 02, 2013, 10:00:18 AM »
Switzerland? Ip 178.198.205.170 ?
"Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth"?
Hmm?

https://vortexservers.com/clients/aff.php?aff=406

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

Re: ddos attack - hit gametracker
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, February 02, 2013, 11:00:53 AM »
yes, this is from southern part of switzerland - swisscom, the biggest provider in switzerland. but where do you have this one?

the attack was routed over switzerland, i was not possible to locate where it came from. but you can see at the explanation, by clicking "Game Server", where the hits were gone.

"Entering both the IP address and the source port on Google reveals that the target was indeed a Game Server. We can also try and estimate the size of the botnet which was used to send this DNS ANY traffic:"

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager