Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Couple of server questions  (Read 5542 times)

Offline [-PB-]Punisher

Couple of server questions
« on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 11:56:27 AM »
Yo,

First of all, Hello again ;) Its been a while with this gameseries and lots of things have happened from the years i stopped playing actively myself, but seems like things are okay once again :)

But the original stuff, didnt find fast reply how server side is working (ini structure overall), like everyone who remembers me knows im keen fine tuner of servers and thus id like to fix some setup flaws what are inside ini files, like server tickrate and netspeeds :P But seems like aa25serv.ini gets overwritten at every restart, so can those values from serv.ini moved to aa25.ini ?

Like if i want fixed bigger cache for server, can i put CacheSizeMegs=xx to my aa25.ini and it replaces the faulty value of CacheSizeMegs=64 in aa25srv.ini? Or if not, where can those values be fixed?

Well lots of questions for starters, but would really appretiate some tutoring here   :idea:

-punisher
Banned? Your brother, friend, dog using your account excuse won't work!![/color]

http://www.game42.com/images/game42_sigu.jpg[/img][/url]

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Couple of server questions
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 13:37:41 PM »
I think if you can prove that tweaking gives better server performance then the tweaks could be added into Assist permanently.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline [-PB-]Punisher

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 14:16:12 PM »
well youre talking to mr unreal tweak now ;)

Honestly to say, every hardware and network connection is almost individual, some certain tweaks do help on server side and clientside, but then again, if someone has high end server hardware and network, and some another tries that setup, it can end up to disaster. Thus id like to do some testing based on old memory images and that is what i need to have some config which is not overwritten on restart and it applies when server is fired up.

But something i spotted from configs atmo are network speed is as low as 8k and then again clientrate is set to 10k, which is mismatching to eachother, as far as i remember UE2 it could be easily calculated how much bandwidth server needs for certain amount of players and tickrate. if im right tick was 25, which is also way too low for decent (fast connection and hw), would pump it upto 35, maybe 40. but stay there at tops cause after 45-50 if i remember right, AR started to shoot too fast and gave AR users unfair upperhand, over regular infantry.
Could do some digging from old files and setups, got few basic good ones and those will run any UE2 based game better than average almost on every platform, as long as networking is something more than dsl or dialup :D Cause both, UE2 and UE3 every dev lies on basic engine configs and there has been same errors from the very beginning of EVERY game :)
Banned? Your brother, friend, dog using your account excuse won't work!![/color]

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 14:54:29 PM »
No offense but I somehow missed all the old well-known classic players despite having been around AA for 7-8 years or so. My apologies if I don't know who you are :)

I'll get right to my point, I remember being admin of servers and trying different tweaks and there was a bunch we would always install but I honestly don't remember them doing anything. I can't recall any tweak client or server-side that did any noticeable amount of improvement, aside from the settings already available in the AA menu. So, that's why I said, if you do a bit of research and can find tweaks that actually improve things on varying hardware, I see no reason why they wouldn't be used globally in Assist.

Assist supports 30 players and we've updated some maps to support 32. Having more efficient network settings that better use the faster speeds we have now (as opposed to those used in 2002...) then that would be great.

Offline [-PB-]Punisher

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 15:12:28 PM »
heh been around from 2004, but been also missing for last umm, lets say two or three years when quit americas army mentor project and turned to part time GSP.  thats also the reason why im interested in fine tuning systems, cause like said, in 2002 some things werent there :)

Also it would be nice to add roe, autobalancing etc to configs, and those too need to be set that theyre not always overwritten by restart. Just realised this, been tinkering AA2.5 config to TCAdmin2 last couple of hours ;)

So are all those nowadays hardcoded or does Assist read them from some config?

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 16:21:43 PM »
you have to write it maybe 2 or 3 times, after it has been overwritten. then it will be like you want to.
strange, but this happend to me.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 16:44:07 PM »
heh been around from 2004, but been also missing for last umm, lets say two or three years when quit americas army mentor project and turned to part time GSP.  thats also the reason why im interested in fine tuning systems, cause like said, in 2002 some things werent there :)

Welcome back then :) Your name somewhat rings a bell, now that you've changed your avatar.

I think Assist creates some ini files but there's got to be a way for you to alter them. Or, ELiZ can create a custom server build for you to play around with I'm sure.

Offline [-PB-]Punisher

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, December 29, 2012, 17:32:49 PM »
that would be indeed nice :)

kinda im a bit lost without help what affects and where, i mean the file system :o

also is there a maplist aka map names somewhere, what are working ones as command line wise?

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 07:35:43 AM »

Like if i want fixed bigger cache for server, can i put CacheSizeMegs=xx to my aa25.ini and it replaces the faulty value of CacheSizeMegs=64 in aa25srv.ini? Or if not, where can those values be fixed?

this size you can Change. do it, maybe twice, then it will be settled like. it worked at my servers.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 13:24:00 PM »
go to "server" folder, inside Systen folder, edit aa25srv.ini, change the CacheSize there.
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline [-PB-]Punisher

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 16:51:00 PM »
okay got some of the values working from /server/aa25srv.ini but seems like code reads those two ini files both and cannot all figure out which is read from where :D someone who has done that launcher, should really step out now and hand over some documentation WHAT is altered from original, or otherwise this will go like old days by trial and error, which is not helping out community at all. ive got really kewl setup for tcadmin2 and will hand it over to everyone willing to use it for their servers, but first i need to make it 100% working and its only 98% now :) also as gift for community can create small tut what happens inside the ini structure when i get things tested out but cannot do this all alone atm :(

and we really need to advert this marvelous project to get as many as possible back to play, ive been harrassing my old clan m8s and suggest everyone of you do the same :D

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 17:52:55 PM »
Dedicated server will only force the values you write in AA25.ini(like server name etc) into aa25srv.ini(the one that is generated at System folder, generate from the settings you have in aa25.ini and in the default aa25srv.ini at server folder), other things can only be changed in aa25srv.ini(you have to edit the one in "server" folder or you will lose ur changes at every server start).
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline [-PB-]Punisher

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 19:52:02 PM »
yeah i understand that, but if aa25.ini is empty on the base folder, does server then read all the information it needs to launch from /server/aa25srv.ini ? vause what i see this far /server/aa25srv.ini is original server.ini what WAS located in /System folder for both windows and linux versions in all AA2.X servers. And based on that structure, id presume that /server/aa25srv.ini is reflection of old /System/Config/basegame.ini which was read and rewritten encase there was no /System/server.ini at all. Correct if im wrong?
Dont want to be whiner but this is one thing that needs clarification, cause otherwise server admins cannot take the most out of their server, now for example hud is on basic setup, and some people might want to run their super realistic and without hud, also competition setup is somewhat undoable, if full system ini set is not used. aa25.ini is having only "some" of the variabled what server instance actually needs to have to run properly. Need to do some testing tomorrow, but trial&error is not the best way of doing search, i bet someone knows how software is designed, cause there is launcher afterall and someone has designed that launcher :D

Offline [-PB-]Punisher

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, January 03, 2013, 05:40:59 AM »
okay did some tinkering, seems like values are read somewhat reasonable way, if regular gameplay is taken as measurement.

these values are read from /System/aa25.ini:
Code: [Select]
// AA25.ORG DEDICATED SERVER INI FILE

port=$[Service.GamePort]
multihome=$[Service.IpAddress]

// WINDOWS ONLY, Process ID must be unique for each server running on this machine, If you have more than 1 server running
// with the same Process ID they will keep crashing each other.
// This can also be set using optional command line argument ID=001
//processid=001

// Admin password is mandatory, gamepass word is for private servers.
// Enter as many player admins lines as you like, one name per line.
// playerslots(number of slots), roundsmatch(number of rounds per match), roundlength(minutes per round)
adminpassword=![adminpassword1]
gamepassword=![gamepassword1]
playeradmin=![playeradmin11]
playeradmin=![playeradmin21]
playeradmin=![playeradmin31]

playerslots=$[Service.Slots]
roundsmatch=![roundspermatch1]
roundlength=![roundtimelimit1]

// SERVER INFORMATION, repeatmessage(1 for yes, 0 for no), repeatminutes(minutes)
// Server name and messages colour can be set with colour=Red,Green,Blue (0 - 255)
servername=![servername1]
motd1=![motd11]
motd2=![motd21]
motd3=![motd31]
motd4=![motd41]
colour=255,255,255
adminname=![adminname1]
adminemail=![adminemail1]
repeatmessage=0
repeatminutes=5

// MAP CYCLING (use maps filename), enablecycling(1 for yes, 0 for no), cyclematches(cycle after x matches)
// forcecycle(cycles maps even if no-one is in server), forceminutes(time between forced map cycle)
// If you enable map cycling you must enter more than 1 map line below (map filename).
map=insurgent_camp
map=bridge
enablecycling=0
cyclematches=16
forcecycle=0
forceminutes=60

// Server Options(1 for yes, 0 for no)
hackhunter=1
pbscreenshots=1
weaponforcer=0
forceweapon=sf
damagemessages=0
miles=0
cheats=0
restartmap=0

well, rest kinda self explanatory from /System/server/aa25srv.ini

Aka ALL FINE TUNING is done from /server/aa25srv.ini. So short roundup, to make server run and play onto it, just edit aa25.ini to suit your taste, if youre more up to tinkering then go to later one ;) also didnt see any difference about that setting //processid=001 kinda under w2k8 r2 its not doing anything. need to do some further testing and install more servers to see if they collision, but i bet windows can handle it own process ID:s well enough. or then not, but need to test this one, server launches normally without that PID set into ini.

Offline [-PB-]Punisher

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, January 05, 2013, 11:45:05 AM »
okay, based on todays tinkering, whole ini structure is fucked from original.

certain things from /System/aa25.ini are still overwritten to /System/server/aa25srv.ini , which seems to be the "running" server ini, like copycat of server.ini in original. Either it PRETENDS to be default.ini. A bit confusing? Dunno, but for some reason idea that aa25.ini is some sort of copycat of default inis what were supposed to be in /Config folder, but have removed for some reason, from the original location. It would be good that the one who re-coded this pile, would step out and explain what is what, for example:

old plaaplaa = newplaa

etc to get some sense to this one. like stated few days ago, seems like system is even more messed up than it was when army devs were in responsible of maintaining code so kinda cannot get into goal alone, which is to offer AS GOOD AS POSSIBLE server setup for community use.

time is limited, so is money and worst of all, nerves :P

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager