Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Shoutbox Usage & Moderation.  (Read 17241 times)

Offline Dialects

Shoutbox Usage & Moderation.
« on: Sunday, November 02, 2014, 23:28:44 PM »
As of lately, the Shoutbox has been seeing an overwhelming increase in disrespect, hostility and generic spam-like behaviour. We have decided to remain partially silent on this matter for quite some time now but it has come to a point where a fair warning along with some brief reminders are very much due.

I'll do this in a FAQ-style:

Why was the Shoutbox created for?

When we first introduced the Shoutbox, it was meant for the community only. We later on decided to add it to Assist so all our member base could benefit from it. Our intent in creating and integrating the Shoutbox into Assist was to allow the community to come together with ease; new and veteran players alike. It is an important tool to keep the community alive and in good spirits -- emphasise.

What are the do's and don'ts?
For the most part common sense seems to answer most of these. For the sake of clarity, however:

Do's:
- You can joke around.
- You can say 'noobz' and such other childish/playful words.
- You can express yourself. In freedom.
- You can share how drunk you are, how high you are.
- You can even throw a 'shit' or 'fuck' every now and then. Every now and then.
- Ya'know?! You can pretty much do anything so long as you don't do any of the things I'll list below.

Don'ts:
- You can not disrespect other players.
- You can not be offensive towards others.
- You can not harass others in any way or form.
- You can not act like you're AA's hero. You aren't.

Will I get banned if I push it too far?

Yes you will. I might not even be the one to ban you. It is important you all understand the Administrators all have a common ground for things like this. There are things we discord about though they're mostly kept private, in which case they won't be target to moderation until we've come to a fair agreement. Shoutbox, its usage and the general feel/environment we'd like for Assist is one of those things we're all pretty certain about. We'll ban to preserve a friendly environment, yes.

Oh, oh...but what about my freedom of speech?!
Your freedom of speech is there. We have not robbed you from it nor would we be able to even if we wanted so. Additionally, if you look up for the definition of freedom of speech itself, you'll understand we're far from being against it or even at the slightest keen to censor it. Here's why:

Freedom of speech is the political right to communicate one's opinions and ideas using one's body and property to anyone who is willing to receive them.

...we're not willing to receive your 'Fuck you' or any of its kind. It is the choice we made and we'll keep it that way. Plus, you agreed to this upon registration so in both theoretical and pragmatical terms, you're the one doing wrong, not us:

Terms Of Agreement, Line 1.
You agree, through your use of this forum and its variations, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law.

Wait, but I didn't do anything wrong!

Well then this warning isn't meant for you : ) This is simply a reminder to all those who have acted against our ToS as well as ignored the several warnings we've been issuing on a daily basis. Since all of the previously mentioned have been ignored we're being forced to take note of the seriousness of this and act accordingly.

Who's this Dialects guy? He's a new Administrator and already thinks he can ban people?!

A few things you should know:
- Date Registered: Thursday, December 03, 2009, 22:35:43 PM
- I'm not new. This is not the first-time I'm an Administrator.
- I'm actually the most liberal out of the bunch. Go figure. You're just getting unto the wrong side of me.
- When in doubt, look at my post count. It'll tell you I'm active.

I hope that's clarified what the correct usage of the Shoutbox should be. We're not ban-happy admins and have absolutely no desire nor enjoy being forced into acting this way. So, don't make us. Is that too much too ask?

Surely, if we all do our part right and keep the abusive/hostile talk to ourselves or otherwise express it privately through the use of PMs, I'm sure we'll all get along pretty nicely. The ban-logs will thank us all too.

Respectfully,
Dialects | Dan

« Last Edit: Monday, November 03, 2014, 04:41:22 AM by Dialects »
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
Re: Shoutbox Usage & Moderation.
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 03, 2014, 04:06:34 AM »
This is so nice to read thx !     :)

Offline Dialects

« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 03, 2014, 04:43:29 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it Vanoke!
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday, November 03, 2014, 07:32:53 AM »
W00t 00t!1! / who's this Dialects guy, i only trusted Mikawe back then, but he's nowhere to be seen :D
kidding 
Good job.

Offline ZORAM

« Reply #4 on: Monday, November 03, 2014, 09:20:10 AM »
thank you for remind some respect for others in AA Assist but also that it is only a virtual game with some reactions because we are not surprised that the real war is always present in the world!  :rtfm:

Offline -!DeadandBroken!-

« Reply #5 on: Friday, November 07, 2014, 09:02:38 AM »
    Very good read and info... Good Job Dan!

Offline Dialects

« Reply #6 on: Friday, November 07, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »
    Very good read and info... Good Job Dan!

Thanks. All we want is a peaceful environment.

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

« Reply #7 on: Friday, November 07, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »
nope sorry

Offline M@dness

« Reply #8 on: Friday, November 07, 2014, 13:30:41 PM »
in other words fuck u . :) i am a man . and if i was a boy, i would still plse like to say as i plse . i try to respect others , but is difficult . respect is earned . to ask people just to up and have respect for everyone is .........
----Tempus fugit mors venit----

Offline M@dness

« Reply #9 on: Friday, November 07, 2014, 13:34:10 PM »
saying that ur general grammar is fine just . maybe a little to totalitarian , dialects we ge it m8, u de boss we can see . but personally i dont care who is boss , ask dem . plse be a bit more cooled down bro or u will scare de noobs
----Tempus fugit mors venit----

Offline TheJohnny

« Reply #10 on: Friday, November 07, 2014, 13:40:26 PM »
U mad bro?

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #11 on: Friday, November 07, 2014, 14:44:38 PM »
saying that ur general grammar is fine just . maybe a little to totalitarian , dialects we ge it m8, u de boss we can see . but personally i dont care who is boss , ask dem . plse be a bit more cooled down bro or u will scare de noobs

Calm down, Eddie! Nobody's out to get you!

We're just trying to make a more friendly environment.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

« Reply #12 on: Friday, November 07, 2014, 15:13:17 PM »
Its friendly environment as it is, if you can't see and you have lots of stress in life you may try to avoid internet or shoutbox usage. Never liked Dan, he wants to be so professional in his sentences, same as killaman and teddy but let's not act like we are in school, time to calm your tits and take a chill pill because I will use SB as I used before.

Agree Eddie, these kind of admins act like a boss, koden probably here the smartest admin since he doesn't talk much and acts as chill as my neighbour next door with Bong in his hand. Could be that eliz took over their mind asset and wants them to behave well, well in this small community doesn't help much does it now?
« Last Edit: Friday, November 07, 2014, 15:14:51 PM by ArmyAntiCheat »

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday, November 07, 2014, 16:59:34 PM »

Agree Eddie, these kind of admins act like a boss, koden probably here the smartest admin since he doesn't talk much and acts as chill as my neighbour next door with Bong in his hand. Could be that eliz took over their mind asset and wants them to behave well, well in this small community doesn't help much does it now?

I'm not a moderator anymore since about, October last year? I don't even remember (my choice, anyway). That said, the point for the staff was to ensure some respect among the people ingame and on the shoutbox. Would you blame them for posting a thread like this? I've seen some pretty awful things being posted on the shoutbox, for no valid reasons other than venting rage/hate/other negative feelings. Heck, i reckon it hasn't to be heaven on Earth but imho (honestly imho!) too much people is either venting everyday's negative mood ingame or just overreacting about a game. Which is supposed to be fun in the first place...
« Last Edit: Friday, November 07, 2014, 17:01:12 PM by Koden »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #14 on: Friday, November 07, 2014, 17:48:38 PM »
Exactly Koden. The fact that we even have to have a thread like this is ridiculous. It's amazing that we have to constantly watch things and babysit people just because you feel you have the right to be childish.

I mean, seriously AAC. You don't like someone because they take a fraction of a second longer than you just to articulate their thoughts and use proper grammar and English? Just because this is the Internet doesn't mean you have a right to be sloppy or hostile. It should mean the opposite. We should behave better as a whole because the Internet is one of the few things in the world where it transcends (most of the time) religions, cultures, countries, languages and any other facet of everyday life that often divides people. We should celebrate this and be courteous and open to our fellow humans. But no, you feel like you have a right to be hostile towards others. I'm blown away by the arrogance and stupidity you're showing.

To boil it down;
YOU feel you have a right to be hostile and abuse a system.
WE made that system and are trying to keep it a friendly place.

Does anybody truly agree with AAC?
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager