Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Post Your Car!  (Read 91663 times)

Offline Lord-of-War

• Loyal Member
  • La vida no vale nada
    • View Profile
  • AA: Lord-of-War
Re: Post Your Car!
« Reply #120 on: Thursday, December 11, 2014, 15:36:13 PM »
I know  -  tried to be funny

In South Africa they made me one out of fibreglass for my bike - always pulled me over for it - guess it wasn't quite legal

I had a Kawasaki ZZR 600 tuned by Speedbike in Klerksdorp.Those were the days when we met on the Kyalami Racetrack or going wild on the highway.
Now I am too old for a fast bike like that. I got an old Yamaha XT 500 parked in Greece for when I am there.You can still fix them bikes yourself - no electronic crap.

I don't have pictures - they all burned in a fire

Lord-of-War  :style:
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 16, 2014, 05:48:57 AM by Lord-of-War »
"the world is basically a forced labor camp from which the workers - all innocents - are led forth by lottery, a few each day, to be executed," Cormac McCarthy

Offline ~=W!CK!D=~

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Thursday, December 11, 2014, 15:50:35 PM »
As for the plates, in the US, cars often only have one and that's in the back. They like it in the rear ;)

nope u need 2 plates in us but i refuse to ruin the look of the car with a stupid front plate

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #122 on: Friday, December 12, 2014, 19:04:50 PM »
nope u need 2 plates in us but i refuse to ruin the look of the car with a stupid front plate

Personally, I'd never own a BMW, even a lease. Nice when they're new but it goes downhill quick. Anyway, I think it's funny the people that spend a lot of time making their cars look clean and pristine. Especially the ones that put goop on their tire sidewalls that actually damages the tires.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline phuNkiii.ops

« Reply #123 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 09:47:08 AM »
Downhill? How many bmws have you owned? Yeah there were some bad engine models but overall its the best car you can own aslong as youre willing to service it as youre supposed. A 10 year old bmw is probably better than any american trash nowadays. And im talking about driving characteristics and interior. Most old bmws can do 300k KMs easy and will run as new if maintained well.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #124 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 10:47:57 AM »
Downhill? How many bmws have you owned? Yeah there were some bad engine models but overall its the best car you can own aslong as youre willing to service it as youre supposed. A 10 year old bmw is probably better than any american trash nowadays. And im talking about driving characteristics and interior. Most old bmws can do 300k KMs easy and will run as new if maintained well.
I believe they have separate factories for BMW in the US, so who knows maybe they make a different quality car for the US. I know a lot of car manufacturers make totally different cars for the US and European markets.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline ~=W!CK!D=~

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 12:41:14 PM »
BMW'S BEST MADE CAR, Ill never own a american car again

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #126 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 12:47:09 PM »
I go by what I see. They're also expensive to maintain or repair since they're so complex. Same for Mercedes. 300,000 KM isn't much. I'm up past 365,000 KM in my Ford Explorer and looking at the bottom end of the engine the other day, there's a LOT of life left. There's plenty of Toyotas, Hondas and Fords that run up past 500,000 KM. Like you said, it's all in maintenance but being able to afford that maintenance is also key. Not to mention, higher insurance rates too.

Offline phuNkiii.ops

« Reply #127 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 14:32:24 PM »
Well its has a lot of electronic stuff going on inside so obviusly something might fail eventually.. If you service it when youre supposed to it will run for decades.. And yea i believe you about your ford, old cars were built 100 times better than nowadays, my dad bought a 94 mondeo when it came out and it did 400k without even changing the clutch.. But if you look at new models theyre just awfull, if you want something reliable you go europe/asian brands. Dunno about inssurance and hows it there but heres its by engine size so it doesnt matter what brand the car is.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #128 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 15:48:55 PM »
For insurance, the more "luxury" and newer a car is, the higher the rates. I do agree that American cars are pretty shitty. Chevy went downhill quick in the late 90's and has pretty much stayed there. Dodge has always had problems with bodys and electronics. Ford can still be good depending on which models you choose. Asian cars are where it's at for true long-term dependable and cheap maintenance. Euros can be nice but a lot are over engineered and require more specialized maintenance, though, I'm not super familiar with all the brands. Who knows though, 10 years from now, we'll be able to see the reliability of modern highly electronic cars and see if they hold up. I'm all for electronics and sweet features but there's a lot of cheap electronics out there that die in a few years, I just hope cars are held to much higher standards. I'm blown away that the computer in my 23 year old car still works great.

Offline halko

« Reply #129 on: Thursday, December 25, 2014, 05:43:24 AM »
True shit guys. Back in the days cars were made to last. Now a days you can barely get 300tkm and car is at the end of it's life span. The thing that I like about newer cars is I can just plug it to a laptop and it shows me right away what's seized.  :) Couldn't be more easy. Older cars need more knowledge in my opinion.

I'm currently running with A4 1.8T quattro avant -98 model. At the moment I'm selling this one and going to get newer with larger engine and of course quattro.  :up:

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #130 on: Thursday, December 25, 2014, 14:12:58 PM »
The thing that I like about newer cars is I can just plug it to a laptop and it shows me right away what's seized.  :) Couldn't be more easy. Older cars need more knowledge in my opinion.
That's the one thing that's disappointing. It would be great to see fuel trim and what the sensors are doing. But, pre-OBD2, the computer systems were very simple. A lot of them, like in mine, can throw codes that make it easier to figure out what's going on and there's not many systems you have to check.

I love the idea of more things being computerized in cars, you can get much more precision and automation but longevity is a concern. I'm utterly blown away that the computer in my 23 year old vehicle still works. I get computer parts in today that are 3 years old and they've failed. I would like to see automakers take more time in building vehicles. Better wiring, more care into connections, using dielectric grease from the factory and simple things like anti-seize on bolts. There's so many things that can be done at the factory easily to make repairs go smoother.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #131 on: Thursday, December 25, 2014, 14:46:11 PM »
I totally get what you're saying, Spanky.

However, nowadays it's all about the money. And you get more money if your customer has to buy a new car in 5 years rather than 25 years. I am certain manufacturers know exactly where their cars' shortcomings are and they intend to keep them so people would buy a new car soon rather than spending their whole life driving one car. It's all about the "business". There's tons of people who learn this shit at university. In order for a business idea to be good, it has to be long lasting. If you create a car people can use their whole life, you can only sell one per person, but having them buy a new one every couple of year dramatically increases the longevity of the business model.

This is not just about cars, though. It's the same in any industry nowadays. For example, hundreds of years ago they made glass that was as strong as stone. However, it takes longer to manufacture and then people wouldn't need a new one soon enough, which is why nowadays most glass that's made will break from a feather dropping on it (not literally, of course).
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #132 on: Thursday, December 25, 2014, 17:50:33 PM »
Yep, I agree Teddy. It's pretty pathetic. More manufacturers need to take more pride in things. In my business, I only use quality parts to do repairs. I tell customers that if I do my job right, I won't see them again. It costs them more money but in the long run they'll be happier and more loyal. Manufacturers need to realize this and stop trying to be competitive and only focusing on pricing. I think our only saving grace in the automotive industry is Elon Musk. He's doing the best he can to prove his product and company and there's no way he'll compete on price so he's going for quality, reliability and customer service.

Offline Ganja

« Reply #133 on: Friday, December 26, 2014, 08:27:04 AM »
There's tons of people who learn this shit at university.

Me me me ! :D
planned obsolescence is how the world works nowadays and it's fucking lame

Offline Bart!

« Reply #134 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2014, 13:07:46 PM »
Me me me ! :D
planned obsolescence is how the world works nowadays and it's fucking lame
same here.  Business administration.

That's the most annoying thing nowadays.  Sometimes they just make one cheap part less lasting.  But in order to change it it will cost a lot later

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager