Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Paper filter modding to air filter - scooter  (Read 5263 times)

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
Paper filter modding to air filter - scooter
« on: Sunday, April 08, 2012, 06:33:08 AM »
So, as the title already explains, i'm wondering if its actually possible to switch paper with foam in the air filter. The scooter has a (125cc) electronic injected engine, so my guess is that it's gonna adjust itself for the different amount of air coming in from the filter (foam should let it "breath" easier than paper). The obvious advantage is that a foam filter is easier to replace and/or clean when dirty (it also has bigger holes tho, as paper has much tighter fiber holes which in fact makes for a different air flow).

Willing to share your opinions? -

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Paper filter modding to air filter - scooter
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, April 08, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »
Hmmm, I had always thought that while foam is easy to use and replace, paper gives better performance. I mean, you see a lot of older engines use foam (and some newish ones use a foam pre-filter) but most modern ones are just paper filter. Personally, I've looked into it and thought about it a lot for my Honda and I've come to the conclusion that the manufacturers designed the intake and exhaust systems to have a certain restriction and flow to get the best performance out of the engine. If you start changing things, carb adjustments may be required at the very least.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, April 08, 2012, 13:02:13 PM »
Hmmm, I had always thought that while foam is easy to use and replace, paper gives better performance. I mean, you see a lot of older engines use foam (and some newish ones use a foam pre-filter) but most modern ones are just paper filter. Personally, I've looked into it and thought about it a lot for my Honda and I've come to the conclusion that the manufacturers designed the intake and exhaust systems to have a certain restriction and flow to get the best performance out of the engine. If you start changing things, carb adjustments may be required at the very least.

I tried looking for info over the net and came up to the same idea...in the end the engine has a fuel electronic injection system so it theorically could adjust for a different airflow, but i don't really feel like daring to cut out the paper from the only filter i have (little hard to find a spare one as it's a not so common model).

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, April 08, 2012, 13:04:03 PM »
Really? How about eBay? A lot of filters fit a lot of models. You could try just removing the paper filter completely and adding a piece of stiff foam, that should be easy to find. Ultimately, you won't know until you try it :)

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, April 08, 2012, 13:09:10 PM »
Really? How about eBay? A lot of filters fit a lot of models. You could try just removing the paper filter completely and adding a piece of stiff foam, that should be easy to find. Ultimately, you won't know until you try it :)

I can find it even in some stores, didn't wanted to buy over Ebay because shipping takes convenience off.

I already have the stiff foam 8) (double layered - wider holes in front, tighter behind), that's why i opened the thread. The thing is, i just want 1 more spare air filter to use in case foam doesn't work good at all.

The air filter is this one anyway

« Last Edit: Sunday, April 08, 2012, 13:13:18 PM by Koden »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 08, 2012, 13:38:02 PM »
That's a lot of plastic. Looks like it would be a good candidate for sticking a foam filter in there. I would say if you can find another paper one for cheap, go for it.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 08, 2012, 13:46:17 PM »
That's a lot of plastic. Looks like it would be a good candidate for sticking a foam filter in there. I would say if you can find another paper one for cheap, go for it.

Well most likely they ask 15 € at least, while a 210x297mm wide double layered piece of foam costed me 10 and would be enough for 2 or maybe 3 filtering elements. Gonna take the thing apart, applying the foam and going out for  a test tomorrow, it's raining by now, hoping it's going to better tomorrow as i have to travel back to my place which is about 60 km away - by scooter.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 08, 2012, 15:44:07 PM »
I think the most important thing is that the length and diameter of the intake stays the same. Thinking about it more, I don't imagine different filters will do much for you and if it's a matter of cost, foam should be good enough. Does the scooter have an oil filter?

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 08, 2012, 15:51:49 PM »
I think the most important thing is that the length and diameter of the intake stays the same. Thinking about it more, I don't imagine different filters will do much for you and if it's a matter of cost, foam should be good enough. Does the scooter have an oil filter?

Yes it has, it sits just over the drain plug so i check it everytime i change the engine oil (every 4000 km which translate in about every 4 months for my mileage).

About the filter, it's also about being practical as foam it's much easier to find around, clean, and eventually replace without having to replace the whole plastic filter housing.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 08, 2012, 15:54:00 PM by Koden »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 08, 2012, 21:29:05 PM »
I don't really find K&N worthwhile unless you're an offroader and buy one for your 4x4 vehicle. I mean, for small engines it's cheaper and easier just to buy a new filter.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday, April 09, 2012, 05:45:02 AM »
Yep, i actually took a look at K&N's filters, it seems like they don't even have a design for the Honda Pantheon/fes/silver wing 125cc. Btw they sure last a lifetime but they're priced accordingly (couldn't find one cheaper than 70 € = 100 soundy bucks).

However i've already done the modding, cutting out the paper and cleaning the place, and installing the foam. There was so much space that i was able to fit in 2 pieces of foam, one on top of the other- very much like wearing 2 condoms xD not that useful but well, lol (the foam it's double layered already).

The old paper filtering element was quite dirty and clogged, now there's quite a difference in response, better than before at most revs (obviously the different filtering material helps too).
« Last Edit: Monday, April 09, 2012, 05:47:24 AM by Koden »

Jared

« Reply #11 on: Monday, April 09, 2012, 09:58:05 AM »
my thinking is always more air. Its kinda the thinking of people the put turbos and what not on their cars all its really doing is sucking more air in.

Try asking Grizz or send him a pm he working on cars and trucks all day so im sure he could lend you in the right direction.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #12 on: Monday, April 09, 2012, 14:08:57 PM »
A turbo is just a way to get more air for vehicles that will burn more gas. You get to a point in horsepower where static ambient pressure isn't enough and the engine can't breathe. If you're pushing more air in, you'll need more fuel as well to balance it out otherwise you're running lean and that's not good for the ignition system or valves.

Jared

« Reply #13 on: Monday, April 09, 2012, 14:15:30 PM »
A turbo is just a way to get more air for vehicles that will burn more gas. You get to a point in horsepower where static ambient pressure isn't enough and the engine can't breathe. If you're pushing more air in, you'll need more fuel as well to balance it out otherwise you're running lean and that's not good for the ignition system or valves.

True, when you do something like that its best to make sure the top and bottom ends can handle it.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday, April 09, 2012, 14:24:52 PM »
I've done already about 60 km today with the "new" filter on, it doesn't seems to behave in a different way except for a better response at the low revs - but the again, the old paper filter was dirty so...

The engine should be able to adjust up to a certain point by itself - electronic injection, no carbs. Later this week ill check the spark plug to see if it runs lean, too rich or whatnot.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager