Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Render Flaw in Toy Story?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Render Flaw in Toy Story?
« on: Friday, July 02, 2010, 03:53:27 AM »
I thought I would re-watch the series to gear up for #3. One luxury of being drawn by a computer is that as new formats become mainstream (720p, 1080p) you can be re-rendered to fit that format. Anyway, as I watched, I found what looks like z-fighting:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/headshot/toy.story-1.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/headshot/toy.story-2.png

Towards the bottom corner of the door, a dent on the skinny part. There's a couple of spots that flash in and out during that second or two long scene. Hardly noticeable which is probably why, if it is a render flaw, Pixar ignored it.

I will stray from the original topic and say that the effects are phenomenal for being a 15 year old CGI movie. I thought I might be disappointed in at least some aspect but really, this topic is the only flaw I found. I wasn't able to spot an obvious poly (aside from textures that make a box look more 3d, like the bump maps on the door). It's a good movie.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Render Flaw in Toy Story?
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 02, 2010, 04:02:10 AM »
Hahaha, nice eye. You've been mapping for too long. I would guess its a rendering flaw, I have to video to check but from the screen shots it looks like the light is changing on that part of the doors.

Dude, I also think that the graphics in the movie are awesome for the year. I heard Pixar was the guys who made the word shader. And did you know the scene with Buzz and Woody in Sid's house during the thunderstorm; the falling rain on the windows was made with a moving bump map. :)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Render Flaw in Toy Story?
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 02, 2010, 12:27:52 PM »
Haha :) That thunderstorm was pretty wild, the lighting cast by the window and the water droplets. Just amazing. The two effects weren't in sync (the lighting didn't accurately represent the water droplets) but with something that cool and that old, who cares?

There's quite a bit of interesting facts on Wikipedia about production of the movie. If you're a fan at all, I suggest taking a peek.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager