Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Debate: Metal  (Read 4231 times)

Offline Archeh

• .[Ak4]. Member
  • Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Not Cwunk
Debate: Metal
« on: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 19:49:08 PM »
Crunk started a topic about "death metal", as he called it on DRAAT, asking if anyone listens to it and what possible reasons they have for listening to it. It quickly turned to a debate over bisexuals and was buried under a thick layer of spam. So does anyone listen to any kind of metal? What reasons do you have for listening to it? If not, is there a reason why other than it not being an interest of yours or a belief that it is "angry" or something like that? I personally listen to progressive metal, mathcore, deathcore, technical death metal, and a genre that I've labeled as "technical deathcore", because it has deathcore and technical death metal influences. Of course there will be some who say that it all sounds the same, and if you had said that a year and a half ago I would have agreed, but I've transitioned into a huge fan since then and I can tell the difference between the genres.

Discuss  ;D
Hi I'm Archeh I like too have fun online playing shoot-'em-up video games

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Debate: Metal
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 20:11:48 PM »
Time for me to get flamed. Over the years my tastes have definitely changed. I've listened to hard core rap in the past for extended periods (weeks if not months) and same with metal (Slipknot being one band) but now I dislike both genres. Anything else pretty decent to me as long as it falls into my requirements: Quality (encoding and recording), soul (the music/artists has to speak and feel though the music and lyrics), and catchyness. Metal and rap to me just doesn't have any soul, half of the reason for that I'm sure is you cannot understand what a babbling black guy or screaming white dude is saying with heavy drums (synthesized or not). I don't like a specific genre or specific artist. The top artists that I've thouroughly enjoyed and can listen to over and over again would be (in no particular order): Johnny Cash, Green Day, Nirvana, The White Stripes, The Eagles, etc. To me, you just can't top the soul that Johnny Cash put into his work and the way he revolutionized things in the music industry.  In saying all of this, I don't mean any disrespect to metal or rap listeners or artists because it is a preference and I do recognize that the majority of them do have talent and therefore reach a substantial audience, it's just not for me. I don't hate or flip out over music I don't enjoy, that would be just rude.

I also tend to dislike anything synthesized or new. I like to know that the people behind the instruments are human and do make mistakes. These days, instruments are increasingly affordable and anyone with the cash to buy one thinks they're an artist and I don't respect that.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Alex

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 20:15:53 PM »
What about actual metal? Which is old metal like Metallica and Iron Maiden. That was before all this screaming crap came about. The new bands kind of came and just stole the genre.

Personally, I can't stand any music with screaming in it, how can you enjoy a song where someone is yelling at you?
I listen to very little rap, I like some of it, the commercial stuff just blows (fuck lil wyane)
I mainly listen to old stuff like Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Boston, guns n roses, and such. When I do listen to rap it is mainly chamillionaire, he doesn't feel the need to swear a lot and he isn't mainstream anymore (he only had 1 mainstream album). He can also sing too, which I guess is a plus because most rappers can't.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 20:20:45 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 20:27:56 PM »
I used to listen to a little Metallica but quickly got out of it. How could I have forgotten AC/DC and Guns 'n Roses... Add that to my list :D

Offline Alex

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 20:30:19 PM »
I used to listen to a little Metallica but quickly got out of it. How could I have forgotten AC/DC and Guns 'n Roses... Add that to my list :D

I don't listen to metallica either, I was just using them as an example of what metal used to be.

Offline Archeh

• .[Ak4]. Member
  • Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 20:47:21 PM »
I try to listen for talent, and usually that just happens to be guitar work. My dad is a huge fan of the stuff you've listed (Killaman), and that gradually increased in "heaviness", Iron Maiden to Slipknot to Lamb of God to the stuff I listen to now. My favorite band, Between the Buried and Me, incorporates many influences and genres into their music. They can be one of the heaviest bands I've heard, or a soft rock with intricate guitar work. All of their songs are really long, too ._.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdGJyv8vr6g#t=05m52s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13wM7Iqdzb8#t=08m36s

About that "actual metal" comment, everything has an origin, or an influence. I could say that Iron Maiden and Metallica aren't "actual metal" and that Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin did it first, hell even Judas Priest but I don't because Maiden was a new genre. If I'm talking about music I like in general I label it as "metal", like I did with this topic, but normally I'll call it by it's more specific name, be it deathcore or mathcore (I know you probably think they're the same). I've heard that the music I listen to all sounds the same so many times.. what about mainstream hard rock? What about Hammet's solos in every Metallica song? I think they sound the same.

*EDIT*
Unless you listen like 5 minutes past the time where the links start, it shouldn't be anything you have trouble listening to.

Offline Alex

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 20:54:56 PM »
You are right and make an excellent point.

I think when everyone says that it all sounds the same, they just hear the screaming and think it is the same as ever other song that has screaming in it. I have no idea about the differences in the genres that you've listed, which is mainly because I don't listen to that type of music. But I'm not going to say it all sounds the same when I haven't listened to the different types. The people that say it sounds the same are usually the people that have not listened to it.

and about when I was talking about real metal, I was mainly referring to the people that claim that those bands are not metal, I wasn't saying that the new stuff is not metal. And yes, there were bands before the ones I listed, I just only wanted to name a few and those were the first two that came to my head.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 20:56:53 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 01:24:24 AM »
=(
I can't join in because the only thing remotely close to any of the genres listed here that Ive listened to fall under the old Linkin Park albums, some Green Day, and Led Zeppelin. Maybe I'm missing a few....

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #8 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 02:20:40 AM »
Blueblaster's music: :D

-Delta-

« Reply #9 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 16:56:40 PM »
Death metal? No never, metal that doesn't concern death, maybe. I will listen to music with some metal in it, but if the song is all metal, then probably not.

Spanky, shouldn't YouTube links to music be considered "illegal"?  :P
« Last Edit: Friday, December 18, 2009, 17:10:28 PM by -Delta- »

Offline Archeh

• .[Ak4]. Member
  • Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 16:59:48 PM »
Buzzkill  >:(

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #11 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 17:04:18 PM »
Spanky, shouldn't YouTube links to music be considered "illegal"?

I don't honestly think so. It's up to YouTube and it's users to determine the content they upload is legally right to be hosted. It's available to anyone without cost so... I dunno. It's also foreign music which Romanian laws are probably different.

-Delta-

« Reply #12 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 17:09:51 PM »
Buzzkill  >:(

Oh man, when I rewrote it for the 5th time because the host stopped responding every time I submitted it, I for got to add the ":P". Sorry.  :-[

Offline Archeh

• .[Ak4]. Member
  • Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday, December 18, 2009, 19:06:22 PM »
No problem, my emot was a joke too  :D

I'm going to a Miss May I show tomorrow, (making the post officially not spam). They're metalcore: one of my least favorite genres. I don't know why I like them but I do  ::) Dance with Aera Cura \m/

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 04:01:00 AM »
Blueblaster's music: :D
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager