Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Animation I Final  (Read 1597 times)

Crunk

Animation I Final
« on: Sunday, March 07, 2010, 18:05:25 PM »
Thought I'd post what I've been working on here.

My final assignment for my Animation I course is to make a short animation (100-200 frames @ 24fps... not long) which has cameras, particle emitters, my own models, etc.  The bar aint really too high for this intro course but for those of you who know me, I like being the best.

It's due on Wed, but since it takes so long to render (I got an ETA of 50 hours on 720p video) I gotta get it done soon.

I don't really have alot to show but here's a timeline (you can start @ the last link if you don't wanna see the progression):
<-- Fail.
<-- Ok, getting somewhere...
<-- Eww, but almost...
<-- Now its starting to come together...
<-- Todays work  (I animated the sea a little too fast on this one, but easy fix)

Since it takes so long to render a single frame, I can't really render large chunks of it at any time, hence the 2 sec clips (they each took 10-20 min to render).

I've got some cool motion blur and depth of field effects going on in diff shots, but didn't render any video from them because once you introduce blur or dof, it increases the work 12 fold due to 12 passes being done on each frame.

Soon enough I'll have the completed one on YouTube  ;D
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 07, 2010, 18:09:12 PM by Crunk »

Offline Dialects

Re: Animation I Final
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, March 07, 2010, 18:53:59 PM »
What are you animating this with?

If you are using C4D, then I would suggest you use their physics to animate the water.

Make it a solid and reactive mesh --or whatever the specific term is called--

Then all you have to do is apply a "twist effect" (aka water flow) et voi lá, you get your water to look real!

Other than that, looking forward to see further updates!

Good luck.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Crunk

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, March 07, 2010, 19:37:22 PM »
3dsmax 2008.

I've gotten the water to look semi-nice by just making a plane, assigning it a bump map (from either a photoshopp'd clouds jpg or the built in smoke filter) which then makes it bumpy, and animating the phase of the bump map so the bumps are movin around:

All I wanna do is figure out how to make a emitter shoot tracers in the air then I'll render it out  8)

Crunk

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 21:19:27 PM »
I know no one replies to my shit here but I hate unfinished threads.

Here's what I handed in today:

I'm never totally pleased with my work but it got me a 100 so it got the job done. >:(

Offline Dialects

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 21:28:52 PM »
No one replies much to anyone in these forums, expect to Nate.

Gotta learn to deal with that.

I'll check the video and comment afterwards, I guess.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Big.Bang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 11, 2010, 04:01:51 AM »
Looks great man :P I tried 3DsMax before and couldnt even make a shoe box with it. ^^

-Delta-

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, March 11, 2010, 13:35:35 PM »
Hey Crunk, sorry I didn't reply sooner. It's kinda a pain to watch videos with slow Internet, because they won't play in the browser. But, I downloaded a couple of them and they look really good, the water wasn't bad either. The animation on the plane seems smooth and realistic. The terrain looks a little too smooth, and the texture kinda repeats. The scene could use trees and rocks, but for a simple animation, it all looks good.

How long did it take to render the fullrender.mov?

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager