Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Suggestion about maps  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Jason

• View Profile
Suggestion about maps
« on: Sunday, December 23, 2012, 17:07:06 PM »
Have you ever seen an episode of restaurant impossible? or Gordon Ramsay's kitchen nightmares? Well, basically a professional in the restaurant business is coming to help save someones restaurant.  A common problem between the failing restaurants from both shows is a huge menu.  There's too many items on the menu for the customer and for the restaurant to handle.  So, the common solution is to tone the menu down to 15ish items and business starts to become good again (of course with other factors involved).  I feel like this can be related to AA.  There are so many maps in the original game and then even more with the MAAPs.  What, like 50+?  I know this has been brought up before (and it's definitely a hard decision) but what if you deleted some maps.  The maps that were rarely touched even when the game was popular. Now I'm not saying that a huge menu will be the downfall of every restaurant out there.  Some have just one page and yet some have 4.  Its up to the owners to realize what works for their business.  I don't think this project will be as successful as it can be with 50+ maps.  There are so many dishes to choose from and house specials are being overshadowed by the blah-entres that maybe satisfy 10 people.  Spanky's Pipeline is like the filet mignon in this situation.  But you have to scroll through arctic, recon, taiga, and village first.  Maybe the mAAp Pack Project has to revamp their menu? Thats just my 2 cents.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Suggestion about maps
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, December 23, 2012, 17:26:18 PM »
Jared's brought this up a few times as well, though his opinion was to delete all the original maps and only have a few of the perfected mAAp maps available.

I agree that trimming is great (which is why we no longer have as many mAAp maps as we did) but if we start messing with the original gameplay & content, the users will rage and I don't want to be on the receiving end of that (not that I would since I'm not admin anymore).

*EDIT*
I think something that isn't so radical is maybe somehow nudge people to try/play other maps instead of Bridge, Pipe, Urban and Hospital. The only way I can think of doing that is to reduce player slots to like 4v4 or something in those maps :)
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 23, 2012, 17:31:31 PM by Spanky »
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 15:17:57 PM »
I just went on battletracker and looked at the player toplist. Specifically just looking at the top 30 players.  This top 30 weren't ordered by FR or kills or score, but instead by their activity, popularity, and experience.  Their honor ranged from 89-109, days tracked from 2929-3583, hours played from 1386-9452, kills from 29613-271817, and FR from 1.34-4.39.  A solid, experienced, and diversified group, imo.  From there I looked at each profile, went to map stats, and ordered the maps by Time Played.  I then looked at the bottom (least played) 15 relevant maps (meaning I didnt look at floodgate or snakeplain) of each player.  And this is what I came up with:

The number next to each map represents the number of players out of 30 (from this toplist) that have the corresponding map in their 15 least played maps.  So that means that 28/30 of those players never play swamp raid.  Although there are a lot of variables in this sample, I still think it's a good thing to look at if the maap project wants to consider removing unplayed maps.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 16:14:00 PM »
Wow, nice research.

I still think it's a good thing to look at if the maap project wants to consider removing unplayed maps.

I do too but it's up to Sergio and them if they dare try it and deal with the complaining users or not.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 16:22:52 PM »
must remove some unplayed maap maps :)
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 16:23:33 PM »

You mean all of them? *trollface*

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 16:24:25 PM »
You mean all of them? *trollface*
no, but, maybe bridge construction or any other map that just take space :)

edit, I counted 12 training maps, 125MB
« Last Edit: Monday, December 31, 2012, 16:27:23 PM by Possessed »
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #7 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 16:33:39 PM »
Training maps should stay, they don't affect multiplayer gameplay. Though, I do agree, Bridge Construction is pretty lame. It was one of my first creations and really has no worth.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 16:35:26 PM »
Training maps should stay, they don't affect multiplayer gameplay. Though, I do agree, Bridge Construction is pretty lame. It was one of my first creations and really has no worth.
We can put training maps in a separated package, so if anyone wants to play a training they will have to download it, for new downloads ofc.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #9 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 16:43:57 PM »
That would be a good idea. We can also go through the maps and find out which ones aren't working. Some will fail right when you load them due to the AA auth servers being gone.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 17:23:04 PM »
in my opinion, berg, breakout, bridge construction, ice, monkey island, sf refinery, and yeti's lair should be removed.  then again yeti's lair is kinda popular so i guess keep it...idk

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #11 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 18:13:50 PM »
Breakout is real popular, it's a quick CQB map, it should stay IMO. Ice is pretty cool, especially the fixed up version pending in the update. Monkey Island can go, it's kinda useless for AA. SF Refinery is an official map, I like it (since I converted it) but it doesn't get played. I think it should stay since it's official but if people want it gone, I'd agree. Yeti is a horrible AA map but it's popular and utterly silly. It's also one of the first custom maps ever made for AA and I think it should be left in as an homage. We could limit player slots on it though.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 19:39:09 PM »
Breakout is real popular, it's a quick CQB map, it should stay IMO. Ice is pretty cool, especially the fixed up version pending in the update. Monkey Island can go, it's kinda useless for AA. SF Refinery is an official map, I like it (since I converted it) but it doesn't get played. I think it should stay since it's official but if people want it gone, I'd agree. Yeti is a horrible AA map but it's popular and utterly silly. It's also one of the first custom maps ever made for AA and I think it should be left in as an homage. We could limit player slots on it though.
or you can just fine tune yet :)

Offline Alex

« Reply #13 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 22:12:23 PM »
in my opinion, berg, breakout, bridge construction, ice, monkey island, sf refinery, and yeti's lair should be removed.  then again yeti's lair is kinda popular so i guess keep it...idk
GTFO. Breakout is one of the most fun maps in the mAAp pack. I agree with Bridge Construction but I think Monkey Island has a lot of potential if we added more stuff to it.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, January 01, 2013, 11:50:20 AM »
GTFO. Breakout is one of the most fun maps in the mAAp pack.
I just loaded the map and it was not what I was thinking of. Yes this map is a lot of fun.  I must have been thinking of that map with the three levels and the tree connecting them.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager