Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: mAAp Info  (Read 17674 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
mAAp Info
« on: Sunday, January 29, 2012, 13:36:30 PM »
This is a post for those of you who are new to this "mAAp" thing.

What is the history mAAp?
mAAp is a project (The mAAp Pack Project) that was started somewhere in late 2006 / early 2007 by BlueBlaster. It was originally a pack of individual maps that were laying around AA-Maps.net (a custom mapping site before the official 2.8 editor came out). A lot of these maps were unfinished and hard to use on 2.6 servers due to authorization at the time. I joined BlueBlaster for version 2, I basically gave him all the maps I had collected which formed an even larger package.

After realizing that the maps worked on AA v2.5, we decided it would be best to move towards that version and include Border and Dusk. It was with version 4.7 of mAAp that really started gaining momentum. Jonny's Assist (Deploy at the time) program brought ease of use to the average user by allowing you to download and play mAAp without the hassle of copying files back and fourth. 

This is from the MPHistory.txt briefings file:
Started by BlueBaster, the mAAp Pack has been a constant on-going project:
Beginning on January 2, 2007, the first version of the pack florished and was embraced by members of AA-Maps.net as a refrence to all their hard work.

Assited by Shanky88, BlueBlaster released the second version with the innovative name of mAAp Pack (previously called AA Custom Maps).

BlueBlaster affiliated with Spanky and created version 4.0 which was a combined effort to compile all the maps from AA-Maps.net and put them into one pack and make it easy for people to use.

Thanks to the help of iZi (AA-Maps.net), Spanky and Blueblaster managed to release version 4.5 which featured new maps, modified maps, and graphically updated versions of classic maps from AA-Maps.net. After 4.5 was released the intended community (AA v2.5) didn't accept the pack enough to keep servers running it.

After re-packaging 4.5 a couple times, 4.7 was a final attempt by Spanky to gather enough interest to get people to play it. 4.7 was plagued with bugs but had a very promising map (Pipeline) that was invented by the 2.5 community. After a couple revisions, 4.7c was widely accepted. 4.7c was a success mostly due to 2.5 Assist (formerly called Deploy, 25deploy.co.uk), which allowed people to download the mAAp Pack and play it without ever having to touch their files.

This version, 5.0, was sparked by the success of 4.7c. We have gained 2 new developers: dn made our logo, graphics and several textures, and {-Delta-} made 3d models and textures. Almost all the maps are optimized even more so they are smaller and have more FPS. Pipeline is the major attraction of 5.0. We have based it off of AA3's Pipeline and merged that with ideas from the community.

What is mAAp?
It's basically a couple of guys that want to push the game engine as far as it will go. Making maps that look unlike any that have existed in AA before.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 19:19:55 PM by Spanky »
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Lord-of-War

• Loyal Member
  • La vida no vale nada
    • View Profile
  • AA: Lord-of-War
Re: mAAp Info
« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 02, 2015, 09:57:11 AM »
that's interesting

but as I mentioned before to you I still think most
of the current mAAp maps are quite useless and
could be done without - wouldn't miss them one bit
Except Breakout which I think is a nice map and should be an official 2.5 map
Maybe Monkey Island if the texture could be improved
Pipeline is also a very nice design - but I am not fond of any Pipeline map lol

Just my humble opinion
Lord-of-War  :style:
« Last Edit: Monday, February 02, 2015, 10:04:07 AM by Lord-of-War »
"the world is basically a forced labor camp from which the workers - all innocents - are led forth by lottery, a few each day, to be executed," Cormac McCarthy

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 02, 2015, 10:02:57 AM »
Way to go digging on a thread 3 years old :)

And there are other mAAp maps I've enjoyed, Office Assault being one of them.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
« Reply #3 on: Monday, February 02, 2015, 10:16:53 AM »
mAAp Pipeline Is must better than all the other Pipelines. The colors from mAAp are making this game closer to the standard of today.
If assist can bring Border ore Urban , dusk, Steamroller etc.etc.  those other dusty maps to that level it brings a better game fantacy (it tickle the brain). 

And nice to read a little history Thx Spanky :up:

Hey My 1000 posts in assist HOOAH!!! :D :cool: :) :P :P :up: :1st: :w00t:
« Last Edit: Monday, February 02, 2015, 10:20:28 AM by Vanoke »

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #4 on: Monday, February 02, 2015, 10:21:59 AM »
go back to work Vanoke ;)

Offline Archeh

• .[Ak4]. Member
  • Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Not Cwunk
« Reply #5 on: Monday, February 02, 2015, 13:41:58 PM »
Some of the best games I ever played in AA were on Aztec. PBall and UT04 are tons of fun, as is Breakout.

However! If I could only play one AA map ever again, I'd choose Square. I wouldn't choose to play Teh Yeti's Lair forever,  but all in all that's probably my favorite map to play! Suggesting the removal of mAAp is dumb. There's a reason the phrase "2.8 weenies" was born in the early stages of Assist...
Hi I'm Archeh I like too have fun online playing shoot-'em-up video games

Offline Ganja

« Reply #6 on: Monday, February 02, 2015, 13:48:34 PM »
Some of the best games I ever played in AA were on Aztec. PBall and UT04 are tons of fun, as is Breakout.

Me too. Those mAAps not being tracked there's not often fragwhores and defencewhores on it, people just join for fun. I am a great Yeti fan (I know there's like 1% of the players that like that map lol) and I loved playing breakout on the mafioso server last year. And lately I've discovered Office Assault too, which is good fun too !

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, February 03, 2015, 03:46:51 AM »
Aztec is tracked :)

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, February 03, 2015, 07:10:01 AM »
Aztec is tracked :)
Yes, but you don't get the map stats.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager