Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Exploding barrels & fire extinguishers  (Read 5803 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Exploding barrels & fire extinguishers
« Reply #15 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 22:20:04 PM »
Looks cool, but shouldn't it be centered around the extinguisher instead of to the side?
Not really. I want to have a shooting stream come out of the fire extinguisher which kind of spreads out in a V shape to fill the larger area. I tried doing the small stream but I can't get it to expand outwards the further away from the extinguisher it gets. It's all just a proof of concept though. We're past the idea phase :P
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 22:20:51 PM »
Looks cool, but shouldn't it be centered around the extinguisher instead of to the side?
i thought the same thing...but maybe the idea is that if he shoots a hole in the side of it, the smoke will shoot out the hole away from the extinguisher

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #17 on: Friday, January 13, 2012, 22:23:00 PM »
i thought the same thing...but maybe the idea is that if he shoots a hole in the side of it, the smoke will shoot out the hole away from the extinguisher
Bingo.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, January 14, 2012, 01:13:40 AM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfRma_GFW5Q&feature=youtu.be&hd=1[/youtube]

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, January 14, 2012, 01:23:44 AM »
:) To be fair, and give credit, Blue made the oil leak, initial fireball, explosion particles and screenshake. I added the fire, damaged mesh and health damaging volume. I also re-worked all 9 actors involved to trigger and untrigger properly.

We make a good team.

Offline Vikraal

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, January 14, 2012, 04:22:40 AM »
This was Interesting, reminds me of some explosive boxes/barrels etc in Counter-Strike 1.6.

The wreckage type, that falls upon impact, auto changes per maps or you make new ones per map?

I didn't expect the Oil Leak though, nice work. Does the Oil leak insure a slippery floor?

You should reduce the shake, or its just because the character, in the video was too close?

The Fireball that happens upon explosion, reminds me of the Game's grenade blast. It needs to be more flashy or its just the recoil that makes the character unable to see it?

Fire and Smoke blends well.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 14, 2012, 04:29:58 AM by Vikraal »

Offline JunK

« Reply #21 on: Saturday, January 14, 2012, 05:12:52 AM »
looked awesome that movie,

but the Barrels are really needed in this game?

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, January 14, 2012, 07:33:21 AM »
looked awesome that movie,

but the Barrels are really needed in this game?

Any object that you can interact with or that has a dynamic behavior is a nice add imho. Then, of course everything has its place. Would be a little wierd to find an explosive barrel in the Operation Room in Hospital but heck, you never know what those Opfor will do right?  ;D

Offline JunK

« Reply #23 on: Saturday, January 14, 2012, 09:33:26 AM »
update the sound of that explosion, it would be much better :)

Offline Vikraal

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, January 14, 2012, 11:06:14 AM »
dw nate said the barrels will only appear on his pipeline, and prob not be too wide spread, so it wont be a huge issue that will effect u all across aa... but these words are atleast 3 hours old so he might have changed his mind

It would be rather useless to be only on Pipeline 3.0, The Barrels are more useful in Mount Mckneea, Urban Assault, SF Hospital and Maps where players actively use barrels for cover.

Then Again, how much does it lag, on any map by simply existing?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, January 14, 2012, 14:06:07 PM »
It would be rather useless to be only on Pipeline 3.0, The Barrels are more useful in Mount Mckneea, Urban Assault, SF Hospital and Maps where players actively use barrels for cover.
People will bitch for modifying classic maps. 'nuff said.

Then Again, how much does it lag, on any map by simply existing?
I don't think it lags much at all to be honest. I mean, the particle emitters need to be spiffed up but fundamentally, this setup is not much more than a smoke emitter and breakable window.

As for JunK, nothing is NEEDED in the game but things like this add more dynamic gameplay. I personally wouldn't hide behind a barrel in real life if someone was shooting at me. Nevermind the fire/explosion hazard but the unpredictable ricochets as well. Point is, shooting fire extinguishers for temporary cover, using destroyable security cameras to view the map, having to think about environmental hazards... these all make the game more dynamic and more enjoyable than rush enemy at X, big firefight, die, new round, rinse & repeat. Personally, I want to make mAAp Pipeline the best it can be. I want to push the engine as far as it will go. I do it because nobody else does, because the AA devs couldn't/wouldn't. I do it because of comments like these on YouTube:
@HsCSpanky
wtf.. i thought it was AA3 !!! astonishing work!!
Bobalo2 22 hours ago
I do it for fun. Play it or don't, it's your choice, just don't bash it on my forums :)

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, January 14, 2012, 17:42:12 PM »
Damn spanky, thats really amazing. I'm soooooo glad you got the oil leak to work properly. I'm also surprised we got this to work correctly without touching one piece of code. Also the damaged mesh is great, I hadn't thought about that or remembered that existed :)

Also, to people giving some suggestions about how to make it better; ya we know. This is just us showing you previews after all. There's a certain sequence of design you take where you get the bones of the project down first (in this case getting the barrel to explode corectly) and then patching up the design afterwards (custom sounds and textures).

Offline [K][K].Zipferurtyp

« Reply #27 on: Saturday, January 14, 2012, 17:47:07 PM »
damn that looks awesom :O........had seen videos from pip too.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, January 14, 2012, 17:49:29 PM »

Also, to people giving some suggestions about how to make it better; ya we know. This is just us showing you previews after all. There's a certain sequence of design you take where you get the bones of the project down first (in this case getting the barrel to explode corectly) and then patching up the design afterwards (custom sounds and textures).

I think you're doing really more than fine with that, creating a new dynamic object from scratches. I actually expected it would have taken more time but you literally blew it out :)   

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, January 14, 2012, 17:53:26 PM »
Blue, check the dropbox one again. I added a trigger shadow. I also found out how to kill emitters without abruptly turning them off. They basically run out of particles. Check the fire extinguisher on pipeline on dropbox as well.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager