Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: 2.5 Editor  (Read 7175 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
2.5 Editor
« on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 13:09:11 PM »
This is an open discussion about making the UnrealEd map editor that we have which happens to work for 2.5. For those that don't know, it's not an official editor, it's actually version 2.4.1 but it works for 2.5 as well.

These are the pros and cons I can think of, others will be added later:

Pros:
- Building a better community with the draw of custom missions.
- More diverse & creative maps.

Cons:
- Setting up a sub forum or another website for managing maps, where people can vote on them and people can see them.
- People complaining if their map doesn't make it into Assist.
- Packing the editor into a download that can be extracted and run with minimal hassle. The editor we have has many quirks. There are different packages and package names which would have to be gone through and changed to avoid bug reports.
- Answering the same "how do i" or "wtf is this" questions over and over again.
- Players that create maps that don't make it into Assist will fight back and put maps on their server anyway. Custom maps (.aao files in the Maps folder) are technically grounds for a permanent ban. We don't know if it's a hack or a map.
- Legal issues. This software is copyright and it's an expensive license. It's possible that lawyers could be contacted.
- This isn't just a map editor, it's a code editor and debugger. This could be used for developing hacks.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 03:34:35 AM by Spanky »
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Maxbulldog_53

Re: Editor
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 13:11:45 PM »
a mission depot as in people submit their map and its voted on bladdy blah blah? Deleting the whitelists would pretty much mean we wouldnt need to update assist for new maps to be played? People could just download the maps they wanted and thats it?
I need teepee for my bunghole!

Xfire----maxifymecaptain

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1696/mouseyo.gif[/img]

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 13:39:48 PM »
Yea, pretty much something like that. There has to be some kind of incentive for people to want their map included in mAAp, downloaded via Assist rather than noob servers running noob maps. This would have to be something that would take a lot of planning.

Offline Maxbulldog_53

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 13:53:45 PM »
Yeah it would take a lot of planning but it might work. We would need a way for people to submit their creations and we would have to decide on if it would be the entire community voting on the maps or just a certain group of people. Im guessing this would also mean that the editor would be made public to anyone who wants it.

Xfire----maxifymecaptain

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 13:56:10 PM »
the editor would be made public to anyone who wants it.

That's what I'm hesitant about. The editor would have to be repackaged because it has a lot of problems as-is. If it were made public, anybody could make a map and stick it in their server. It really would need to be organized. I haven't tested the converter out very much, maybe it would just be easier to have people use 2.8...

Offline Maxbulldog_53

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 14:00:06 PM »
Yeah idk when i tried to convert my map i did it all by hand so I'm not exactly sure how the converter works. Where I can I download it? I'll try converting a map with it and report back how it goes.

Xfire----maxifymecaptain

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 14:05:03 PM »
It's in the mAAp forum somewhere, maybe that converter sticky thread.

Offline Maxbulldog_53

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 14:15:58 PM »
the converter seems to work just fine. I was even reading the posts and koden was able to convert some custom maps over just fine. But once people convert their maps wont they just be able to stick them on a server anyways?

Xfire----maxifymecaptain

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 14:31:00 PM »
Lets take it easy for now. It's just 2 people and they seem to know some stuff. But the important thing is we don't know how they work as a team. So I guess the best way to go about this is a community vote on their maps. If they win, their map gets included officially but the thing is they need to remake their map on 2.5. So we only grace them with the editor if their map wins. It's not necessary to include them on our dropbox shared folder. Bueno?

Offline Maxbulldog_53

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 14:37:30 PM »
Lets take it easy for now. It's just 2 people and they seem to know some stuff. But the important thing is we don't know how they work as a team. So I guess the best way to go about this is a community vote on their maps. If they win, their map gets included officially but the thing is they need to remake their map on 2.5. So we only grace them with the editor if their map wins. It's not necessary to include them on our dropbox shared folder. Bueno?

Yeah but we are going to have more people coming. I know that MothaGoosE is getting into the whole mapping thing because I live with him. It seems I have started a movement :)

Xfire----maxifymecaptain

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 15:34:18 PM »
More and more people getting the editor means exponential chances of a leak. We can remove the converter tools from the thread easily and nobody will know different. We can then say, make your map on 2.8 and we'll convert it and include it if it's good enough (votes by community or admin).

I just... it's been fine dealing with Killa and Max, I really don't mind helping you guys because it's obvious that you enjoy it and take what you've learned and apply it. But, I just know there's going to be a shit storm of noob questions over and over and over if the editor goes public. Not to mention we have to handle the map kicks appropriately. Technically people should be banned for custom maps because they could easily be hacks.

Offline Maxbulldog_53

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 15:37:45 PM »
More and more people getting the editor means exponential chances of a leak. We can remove the converter tools from the thread easily and nobody will know different. We can then say, make your map on 2.8 and we'll convert it and include it if it's good enough (votes by community or admin).

I just... it's been fine dealing with Killa and Max, I really don't mind helping you guys because it's obvious that you enjoy it and take what you've learned and apply it. But, I just know there's going to be a shit storm of noob questions over and over and over if the editor goes public. Not to mention we have to handle the map kicks appropriately. Technically people should be banned for custom maps because they could easily be hacks.

this is true i didnt think about that. As soon as you make the editor public the floodgates have been opened for all the questions and little things that people arent going to know how to do. Also if we go the other route the more and more people the editor is given to the more chance they are going to give it to someone else and so on and so forth.

Xfire----maxifymecaptain

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
Re: 2.5 Editor
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 03:35:44 AM »
I've moved this to an open forum, hopefully we can get regular users talking about this too so they understand what the cons are and the things that have to be overcome.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 03:53:29 AM »
Skrewy, if we hand it out when people submit a good map, the chances of a full on uncontrollable leak skyrocket. But if we manage it, we can have managed chaos.

Offline Ganja

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2012, 04:50:21 AM »
Eh I was gonna start map making or dunno what but I am the typical guy who asks 50 questions a day so I think I better forget about it ;)
The fact that many people might start mapmaking or whatever u call it, might make the forums more alive, if there's a section about it where people help eachother and so on .. But I don't really know the long terme consequences of this so I can't really give my opinion

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager