Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: AntiPortals  (Read 9906 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
AntiPortals
« on: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 16:44:48 PM »
Just a heads up to you guys (mostly to those of us working on AA3 maps) that are editing. Working on AA3 Alley, I added an AntiPortal via the editors button and it did absolutely nothing. It didn't occlude objects, even from inside of it. Playing around some more, I found that using the Add Special button and creating an AntiPortal that way DID work as it should. The only change here is that the brush is now dark green rather than the familiar orange. I don't know if this is just a problem on Alley or if it's an AA3 map problem or if it's a global issue.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline ELiZ

Re: AntiPortals
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 16:57:44 PM »
My antiportals are orange, and I used Antportal button

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 17:27:13 PM »
But do they work?

*EDIT*
I made one AntiPortal successfully with the Add Special button but now I can't seem to make a second one that actually works.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 17:28:56 PM by Spanky »

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 18:04:57 PM »
But do they work?
Not exactly...

Antiportal made by:

Add Special Brush - dark green color; can be visible; used to separate different zones; in Real Time Preview its surface is invisible; copy/paste is supported; it's a Portal imitating Antiportal.
Add Antiportal - orange color; must be embedded in geometry (if not, will cause rendering problems); used to occluding planes; effect is visible only in Realtime Preview; copy/paste is not supported.

BTW: For testing, in game mode open console, type RMODE 1 and hit enter.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 18:14:11 PM by NoBigDeal »
What if you could change the world by changing your perspective of it?
Would you?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 18:40:25 PM »
I test it out in the editor by doing "stat render" in the console and looking at the mesh poly count before & after. If it's BSP with AntiPortal surface flag, you can also hide BSP in the editor and see the AntiPortal effect on meshes behind the surface. I guess you could also do RMODE 1 which is wireframe if I remember correctly but that can sometimes bog down your FPS to the point where it's impossible to do anything.

I'm having mixed results on both brushes. I've never had this issue before. I'm wondering if it's something with the AA3 map conversion because there was also that issue with the main subtraction.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 19:16:07 PM »
I had no issue adding the Add Antiportal button, a nice brown/Orange brush appeared.
And after a rebuild, it worked without any issues

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 19:20:21 PM »
I guess you could also do RMODE 1 which is wireframe if I remember correctly but that can sometimes bog down your FPS to the point where it's impossible to do anything.
On what hardware do you work ..?  :D

I'm having mixed results on both brushes. I've never had this issue before. I'm wondering if it's something with the AA3 map conversion because there was also that issue with the main subtraction.
The gaps in the brushes can cause some problems (you can check this in Zone/Portal mode..), but first reset everything on Red Builder brush before do anything - if not, because of pivot offset, brush collision can be in quite a different place. Don't forget to rebuild...
What if you could change the world by changing your perspective of it?
Would you?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 19:29:00 PM »
On what hardware do you work ..?  :D
AMD 1090T at 3.5GHz and a 9500GT GPU. But, I still had FPS issues under some scenarios with a GTX 275. Although now, I just opened the map and there's no FPS issues in RMODE 1. I get less FPS in normal mode. Weird.

The gaps in the brushes can cause some problems (you can check this in Zone/Portal mode..), but first reset everything on Red Builder brush before do anything - if not, because of pivot offset, brush collision can be in quite a different place. Don't forget to rebuild...
I wouldn't have thought the pivot would bother the collision at all but on the brush I'm using, I made it from the builder and it's all default. One of the problems is AA3 Alley takes so damn long to build -_-

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 19:50:47 PM »
Here's a screenshot of what's going on:

The red builder brush was just used to create an AntiPortal brush via the button in the editor. I then rebuilt. You're seeing a live view of RMODE 1 and yet you can still see the meshes and even the terrain polys on the other side of the AntiPortal brush.

Now, I can go set a BSP surface as an AntiPortal and it works just fine (press Q to hide BSP, see meshes pop in and out) but the actual AntiPortal brushes aren't doing jack shit. I know I'm not a noob and it's not an editor problem, my other AntiPortals work;

View from behind a building with an AntiPortal brush inside:

View from just above previous building:

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 19:57:24 PM »
If you are having an issue, and I'm not, try resetting ini's

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 20:02:39 PM »
Does the AntiPortal work for you in Alley? There's only 1 there (I think) and you should be able to find it with the red brush.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 20:12:42 PM »
Does the AntiPortal work for you in Alley? There's only 1 there (I think) and you should be able to find it with the red brush.

A Antiportal brush placed inside the negative space of the BSP will not block anything.
That's what I've read anyway.

The Builder brush on the Alley map on dropbox, it's inside the negative space.
However, I cant find the antiportalbrush

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 20:20:41 PM »
Ah, I must not have saved it with the AntiPortal. Still though, it's right where the builder brush is, inbetween the outside of the addition and the inside of the subtraction. It's inside the wall of the subtraction, it shouldn't be an issue. The AntiPortal should work anywhere, it's just up to the map editor to place it where it won't cause visual artifacts to the user.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 20:23:52 PM »
Nevermind. I'm dumbfounded by my own stupidity.

Typically I press O and C upon opening the editor, to hide the annoying playerblocks, commvolumes AND AntiPortal brushes. Apparently, hiding the brush also hides the effect unlike when hiding BSP with a surface flag of AntiPortal, the effect is still there. Pressing O in the live view with RMODE 1 will toggle the AntiPortal on/off.

I faintly recall running into this before, many years ago but it's not something I remembered for whatever reason.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, November 02, 2013, 20:26:44 PM »
Ah, I must not have saved it with the AntiPortal. Still though, it's right where the builder brush is, inbetween the outside of the addition and the inside of the subtraction. It's inside the wall of the subtraction, it shouldn't be an issue. The AntiPortal should work anywhere, it's just up to the map editor to place it where it won't cause visual artifacts to the user.

According to this video, at least some of the brush must be in the space we can see(Outside of the BSP), or as in the video, the exact dimension as the addative brush of the wall.

Look at 05:30

I've never experimented much. but as a rule, I've only added antiportal to space inside Staticmeshes, not inside BSP.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager