Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Simple Questions in the Editor  (Read 33309 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Simple Questions in the Editor
« Reply #90 on: Sunday, August 25, 2013, 15:56:42 PM »
Delete all the lights in the room and set AmbientBrightness. If the walls are still bright, other lights are casting onto it. It could just be how you're building the BSP.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #91 on: Sunday, August 25, 2013, 15:57:06 PM »
But isn't the surfaces that looked ok some kind of indication that something is wrong with the zone?

Offline Alex

« Reply #92 on: Sunday, August 25, 2013, 16:04:55 PM »
Delete all the lights in the room and set AmbientBrightness. If the walls are still bright, other lights are casting onto it. It could just be how you're building the BSP.
Yeah it's already done. I deleted all the lights and set the ambient brightness and all the walls looked the same. I then placed a couple of spotlights to show some shadows. It's not ideal but it works.

But isn't the surfaces that looked ok some kind of indication that something is wrong with the zone?
The zone is working properly as far as I can tell.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #93 on: Sunday, August 25, 2013, 16:06:13 PM »
The lights causing those walls to be overbright are the ones in the room below with the knocked over vending machines. They're simply leaking through the walls (again, maybe a product of how the walls are built). Use more AmbientBrightness and lights with less radius.

Saved a copy of the fixed map to Dropbox so you can see.

Offline Alex

« Reply #94 on: Sunday, August 25, 2013, 16:09:47 PM »
The lights causing those walls to be overbright are the ones in the room below with the knocked over vending machines. They're simply leaking through the walls (again, maybe a product of how the walls are built). Use more AmbientBrightness and lights with less radius.

Saved a copy of the fixed map to Dropbox so you can see.
The problem wasn't that the other walls were too bright, it's that that wall wasn't being lit. At all. No matter how many lights I put up to it none of them would show on the wall. I'm well aware of the light bleed and I'm currently in the middle of redoing all of the lighting on the map.

It definitely could be how the BSP was built and I'll look into it.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #95 on: Sunday, August 25, 2013, 16:37:33 PM »
If it weren't for all the light bleed, all the walls would be unlit like that because AmbientBrightness = 0. The lights in that room weren't lighting the room walls at all.

Offline Alex

« Reply #96 on: Sunday, August 25, 2013, 21:19:21 PM »
If it weren't for all the light bleed, all the walls would be unlit like that because AmbientBrightness = 0. The lights in that room weren't lighting the room walls at all.
OK, now I'm confused. What do you mean by the lights in the room weren't lighting the walls at all? Once I took all the lights out, the other 3 walls went dark....

I normally don't use ambient brightness and it's never caused a problem before....

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #97 on: Sunday, August 25, 2013, 21:32:12 PM »
I removed the lights in the room with the dark wall, rebuilt all lighting and the other 3 walls were still lit up. It wasn't until I removed the lights in the room with the vending machines that they returned to normal.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager