Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: 2.8 Map Converting  (Read 27811 times)

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • "I got soul but i'm not a soldier..."
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
  • AA: [PTwars]b!6
Re: 2.8 Map Converting
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 06:31:01 AM »
ahahaha. soooo whats the word on me getting the 2.5 editor??  ;D

Create a poll asking. I will vote yes on you :)
"Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth"?
Hmm?

https://vortexservers.com/clients/aff.php?aff=406

Offline Maxbulldog_53

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012, 11:38:22 AM »
so what happens when i come across aao files in the process of converting? what do i do with them?
I need teepee for my bunghole!

Xfire----maxifymecaptain

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/1696/mouseyo.gif[/img]

Offline Maxbulldog_53

« Reply #32 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012, 16:54:32 PM »
Aright well I got everything converted and when I open the map in the 2.5 editor it's all there. But i can only view it in wireframe mode and I can't open it in game? Help someone?

Xfire----maxifymecaptain

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012, 17:02:06 PM »
Build all.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Maxbulldog_53

« Reply #34 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012, 17:13:42 PM »
Build AmericasArmy_Build_[2004-06-01_02.01.01]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 2195 MHz with 4090MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS (8562)

General protection fault!

History: ASceneManager::CheckForErrors <- FPathBuilder::definePaths <- UEditorEngine::Exec_Paths <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (PATHS DEFINE) <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- WPageOptions::BuildPaths <- WPageOptions::OnBuildClick <- WEditorFrame::OnCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

this is the critical error i get when i do a build all.

« Last Edit: Thursday, May 24, 2012, 17:17:28 PM by Maxbulldog_53 »

Xfire----maxifymecaptain

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012, 17:38:03 PM »
It mentions Scene Manager. Go look for matinees and delete them. There's 2 or so in Hospital and I think they're used for helicopter fly-overs.

I still recommend you re-do your work (now that you've learned more) on the 2.5 version (building off the updated one). That or just copying your work out of 2.8 and pasting it into the 2.5 one. Just a suggestion :)

Offline Maxbulldog_53

« Reply #36 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012, 18:53:25 PM »
Yeah im building over the one thats already there. NEVER again will you catch me trying to convert a 2.8 map to 2.5 haha

Xfire----maxifymecaptain

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012, 19:37:14 PM »
Converting is nice to have, especially when considering the alternative of doing it manually but your case is kinda unique where the map does exist in 2.5.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday, May 25, 2012, 14:21:22 PM »
so what happens when i come across aao files in the process of converting? what do i do with them?

When i converted Interdiction i setted up a -285 class file for each kind of material i had to use for a decent porting, being it sound, a static mesh or a texture (so there's a S-285, an M-285 and a T-285). You can use them too if you need some object that hasn't a suitable similar option in the 2.5 packages (briefly, don't place things that already are on 2.5). When updating a file, no matter being a map or anything else, remember to upload it on Dropbox and let us guys know, possibly using the changelog.

Ah, btw you can also detect and possibly switch materials links in the file code, but i'd bet Spanky already told you about that.

P.s. you don't want to manually convert a whole map like Hospital editing the code, trust me. Many other maps are far more suitable (smaller sizes and a smaller object count).
« Last Edit: Friday, May 25, 2012, 14:26:34 PM by Koden »

Offline Maxbulldog_53

« Reply #39 on: Friday, May 25, 2012, 17:17:18 PM »
When i converted Interdiction i setted up a -285 class file for each kind of material i had to use for a decent porting, being it sound, a static mesh or a texture (so there's a S-285, an M-285 and a T-285). You can use them too if you need some object that hasn't a suitable similar option in the 2.5 packages (briefly, don't place things that already are on 2.5). When updating a file, no matter being a map or anything else, remember to upload it on Dropbox and let us guys know, possibly using the changelog.

Ah, btw you can also detect and possibly switch materials links in the file code, but i'd bet Spanky already told you about that.

Im not sure i follow. How do you set up these files? I didnt know there was a way to convert maps that wasnt just going in and changing all that crap manually.

P.s. you don't want to manually convert a whole map like Hospital editing the code, trust me. Many other maps are far more suitable (smaller sizes and a smaller object count).

Xfire----maxifymecaptain

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 02:49:03 AM »

Im not sure i follow. How do you set up these files? I didnt know there was a way to convert maps that wasnt just going in and changing all that crap manually.

I took a look over Rummage, it "only" was about 77.000 rows of code (with just 30 AAO links), Interdiction was approx 180.000 just with the interiors (with about 1350 AAO links). They are just different maps built in different times, that's why i said smaller maps with smaller object count. It also matter whether how far in time those map were developed (Interdiction features NPCs and they unfortunatly can't be replaced but have to be taken out).

Try looking in your Static Meshes, sound and texture folders.

Download notepad++ and go check the amount, and type of materials you need to replace or eventually save in those *-285 files. I've done it already a few days ago and i recall there were about 20/30 copies of AAO materials being used in your map, which is a really small amount.

(The following is only worthy to replace materials that already are in 2.5, or to test whether or not they actually are in the same package).
By using notepad++ to edit the code (Select all actors - copy - paste into N++) you can select a piece of code:

Code: [Select]
T_AA2_Concrete.Wall.Conc2

and substitue it with

Code: [Select]
T2-CONCRETE.Wall.Conc2
This will work fine for many materials, it might not work for some others, but it surely is much faster than replacing each one by hand, also because you can do that for all the copies that relies on each sub-container of the package. You can look over packages content if you doubt whether a material is available or not, and if it is where it's supposed to be. For a rule of thumb, AA2 content related packages feature that "2" after the tag as shown above (T_AA2_Concrete.Wall.Conc2 - package in red, tag in green, the bold one is the first part of the material name).

Btw the one i used for this example was

T2-Concrete.Wall.Conc2_Wall_Chipwall_Spottedb

Keep in mind, as i said that you don't want to convert a whole map this way and especially you don't need to do that if you already have it on 2.5! The amount of possible mistakes you can achieve while editing the code by hand is just out of measure.
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 02:57:09 AM by Koden »

Offline SPC-D.Pelerine[3rdID]

« Reply #41 on: Sunday, September 16, 2012, 00:59:04 AM »
i made a map for the unit i am with that was made for AA2.8.5 and now i want to convert it to AA2.5 can i get a copy of the AA2.5 editor so i can finish the map

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #42 on: Friday, January 25, 2013, 06:53:19 AM »
Here is a new tutorial I've written on how to convert 2.8.5 maps.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62876385/2.8.5MapConversionTutorialv0.2.pdf
« Last Edit: Friday, December 20, 2013, 01:00:48 AM by ELiZ »

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager