Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty vs. Asus Xonar D2. And Headset?  (Read 6469 times)

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • "I got soul but i'm not a soldier..."
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
  • AA: [PTwars]b!6
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty vs. Asus Xonar D2. And Headset?
« on: Sunday, January 27, 2013, 16:23:02 PM »
Well i'm buying a new computer, getting a lot of issues with this recently and found a few used opportunities i might risk.
Now the sound is my issue, i always had Creative, being a X-Fi Platinum my last one that i believe is giving problems also on my computer.
So i searched on ebay for goods and come up to this:
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
Asus Xonar D2

Anyone with a Asus Xonar D2 and playing AA? How is the sound? I mean, on most maps (not a map whore^^) i can sense the enemy by hearing the cranks on wood and stuff. I'm afraid i have to learn the sounds all over again if it's way to different with Asus :/

Oh, and i also hear some music and watch movies from times to times...
I only use a headset Sennheiser HD555. Thinking in replacing them also. Any ideas to buy new ones?
"Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth"?
Hmm?

https://vortexservers.com/clients/aff.php?aff=406

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
Re: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty vs. Asus Xonar D2. And Headset?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, January 27, 2013, 18:03:29 PM »
I used to play on a pc with a Xonar DS (the cheaper one between Asus cards). It works about fine. Is there anything about the hd 555 that you don't like (for gaming purposes)? Btw avoiding Creative cards would be the first step.
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 27, 2013, 18:12:39 PM by Koden »

Offline wickid

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, January 27, 2013, 18:17:40 PM »

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, January 27, 2013, 19:56:31 PM »
MB sound ain't that good :/.
About my hd555, they are almost in pieces, sub cord once but they really need to be subbed :(
Hmm?

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 28, 2013, 00:45:18 AM »
Ignore wickid. Logitech has few audio products worthwhile, the only one I've seen that looks good on paper is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Transporter%C2%AE-SE-Network-Player/dp/B0011YZ1R6
That's not exactly something you would use on a PC to play games.

Back to reality, stay away from Logitech and anything branded Fatal1ty. Both are hyped to gamers with aesthetics such as molded plastic and LED lights. Fatal1ty branded products aren't "bad" but the only thing they do is fill Jonathan Wendel's pockets with cash. The real question here is, do you want to be a typical AA player (sound whore, distorting realistic sounds to have bloated ear-damaging highs just to hear enemy at unrealistic distances) or do you want to hear things as intended?

I'll guess and say you want the latter; quality. What you really need is a good DAC and a sound card with a headphone amplifier. The X-Fi is great for screwing with equalizers but has low quality components onboard and no headphone amp, just regular headphone output. To get the most out of headphones (even IEM's) you generally need an amp. That ASUS Xonar D2 looks good but I can't help but feel it's overkill and is geared more towards home theater setups. If you're looking at that price range, maybe check out the ASUS Xonar Essence STX:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread
There's also HT Omega Claro cards that have great reviews.

But, if you're not going to go the home theater route, it doesn't make much sense to pay for all those features. There's other solutions as well. The NuForce products have been pretty popular and they're a no frills type. There's all kinds of ways to go. Maybe lurk around here for a while:
http://www.head-fi.org/f/46/computer-audio
There's a lot of setups and reading about products other people like might help you find a direction that suits you best.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 28, 2013, 21:18:33 PM »
Hmm?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 28, 2013, 22:30:06 PM »
Just looking at the picture it's garbage. There's a reason why quality headphones are only stereo. Headphones are severely limited by space, when you compound that by adding 3 more drivers (the speakers themselves, not software) on each side, quality goes way down. Those are $100. Basic quality stereo headphones are more than that. How can you add a mic, 6 more drivers and a USB DAC and still have a quality product? You can't. Stuff like that is targeted towards gamers that don't know any different. The USB is bound to be crap but you probably wouldn't notice a difference in using it versus motherboard due to the shite drivers in it.

On top of that being crap, stick away from multichannel, especially with headphones. You won't find a good multichannel amplifier unless you want to buy 3-4 stereo headphone amplifiers and that's nonsense. The only decent multichannel setups are going to run over $1000 with buying separate components (speakers, receiver, etc).

TL;DR: stick with stereo headphones (not headsets, not multichannel) if you want quality.

Offline k!cker

• View Profile
  • AA: k!cker
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2013, 01:21:38 AM »

Offline marten77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2013, 02:20:11 AM »
screw gettn a sound card, just get a nice set of headphones, i use Logitech G35 Surround Sound Headset, awesum for sound

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-7-1-Channel-Surround-Sound-Headset/dp/B001O5CCQK/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1359328725&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Logitech+G35+Surround+Sound+Headset

Your posts get more idiotic everyday srsly. Good headset without a decent soundcard is useless cus onboard soundcards are so horrible you can shovel em up in your anus.

Get X-fi xtreme music and Roccat kave headset, xtreme music is rather cheap and is better than those super hyper exspensive fatal1ty super gaming sound card and then you have more money for the headset

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2013, 02:37:38 AM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102033 - sound card

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B000CMS0XU - headphones

stay away from the recon 3d shit that creative just came out with

They just released the Creative Sound Blaster Z, but to expensive atm and it's at the level of the XFI, they already regret the Recon crap...

Now about my computer, it's like this

The more i read, the more confused i get...
At the beginning i started making a config with Intel but i was paying for something i won't really use because i only play World of Warcraft, CS:GO, Arctic Combat and don't think i will change to any top game in the future

OC? Processor maybe, not much... So does it pay to invest on Intel like this:

Or should i rather go AMD:

The case i will pick something i like at the store...

So AMD or Intel?
And for the same price:
MSI R7870 TwinFrozr 2GB or Asus GTX660 2GB DirectCU II OC? I don't have a preference or should i just go and pay more for a HD7950 or a TI :/
And btw, my monitor -> Asus VE248H
Hmm?

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2013, 02:56:07 AM »
Intel vai mais pra perfomance, eu iria de amd, não so pq é barato mas tbm pq não é nada mal.
esse teu setup amd não ta um pouco caro? a diferença é pouca entre os dois.
talvez mude a fonte do setup amd para algo um pouquinho mais forte e adicione um leitor Blu-Ray :)
não sei como é por ai, mas talves se procurar mais pode achar componentes bons mais baratos(se faz diferença pra ti).
e quanto ao teclado, mouse, case e caixas de som?
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2013, 03:14:54 AM »
Samsung 840 is a low end drive. Stick with the 830 or get the 840 Pro. Better speeds and should be better reliability.

I like AMD for budget performance, just be sure to get a 8+2 power phase (count the black/grey squares to the left of the socket on the motherboard, there should be 10).

I've said all I needed to on the sound. My knowledge (not opinion) is shared among other audio enthusiasts. Kicker is stepping into that but I still say, X-Fi is over-rated and waste of money.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 29, 2013, 03:16:25 AM by Spanky »

Offline krIz+

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2013, 03:26:23 AM »
I use to own Xonar a few years ago, my opinion is for americas army xonar is useless, for movies, music ect..its nice but nothing really special, if you'r not some audiophile then go get some xfi, i sold my xonar after a week of usage and got xfi xtremegamer.

Offline [Majestic]tidididi

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2013, 04:36:01 AM »
Audigy 2 ZS or Audigy 4 >>>>> all x-fis

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, January 29, 2013, 04:39:10 AM »
i always did buy intel and asus grafic adapter - and it was always good. and hardware from same distributor are working the best way together.
and samsung ssd's are the best for the use you are looking for - and i would buy also a SATA-3 samsung hd. less heat and noise then others (look at the warranty time also).
about memory: 8GB are only useful if you install windows 64bit or other os then windows. windows 32 is allocating only 3.2GB - so with win 32, you only can use 4gb.
that is what i would do - if you are not searching for a high end computer.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager