Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Zune HD  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Alex

Zune HD
« on: Saturday, December 26, 2009, 01:24:36 AM »
I got a Zune HD for Christmas and I am bored so I am going to write a little review for you guys.

Price
16gb-$220
32gb-$290

HARDWARE
-Very sleek and slim with a brushed metal finish on the back.
-The lack of a volume control on the outside of the device is kind of nerve racking. Meaning that you have to look at the screen to change the volume.That
  is definitely a con.
-Zune HD is powered by the Nvidia Tegra chip. Unfortunately there has yet to be an app that shows the true power of this chip.

INTERFACE
-Very easy to navigate and find what you want.
-Designed very well to work with the touch screen.
-You cannot have a custom background as of yet, which is kind of lame but it isn't all that important. This could be change in an update however.

AUDIO SET-UP
-Quality is good, not amazing, but noticeably better than the audio quality on my PSP. :)
-The music interface set-up is good having all of the the options that the itouch has, sorting by aritst, album, song, or whatever.
-Automatically finds pictures of the artists and album art for the albums.
-You can mark favorite songs and turn on shuffle and what not like most mp3 players.
Computer Software
-In my opinion it is MUCH better than itune and doesn't freeze like itunes does.
-It has a very straight forward layout where everything like the marketplace and your collection is easy to find. It is very simple yet very stylish.
-Software is easy to install and does not freeze or crash as far as I have seen.
-Zune HD has HD Radio although I have not tried it out yet. I don't see a point to radio when I have all the music I want on the same device.

APPS
-Or should I say "lack there of"
-The Zune HD, being new, only has a handful of apps available.
-There are a few good games like Audiosurf Tilt and PGR Ferrari addition but that's about it.
-There is also a twitter app, as well as a calculator and weather app.
-Currently is not an open platform for development. Microsoft gave the dev kits to a select few companies.
-There are user-made apps and games but they do not work very well due to Microsoft holding onto the development tools.

Videos
*supported Video types*
WMV, MP4,M4V
-I have not yet been able to add a WMV movie to my Zune even though it says it should work perfectly. I have, however, converted them to mp4 and they work fine.

INTERNET BROWSER
-No flash support. That means no youtube or any flash based media.
-Besides the lack of flash support, the browser is very fast and loads pages like this website and draat rather quickly. You can adjust the screen size and
 you can change the view from vertical to horizontal rather easily.

SCREEN
-Multi-touch support
-OLED screen allows for more impressive visuals than the ipod or iphone.
-Like most devices, it is sometime hard to see the screen in direct sunlight.
-Touch screen responds very well and works well with the interface of the player.

FINAL SCORE

Due to not being able to sync a wmv file yet and the lack of flash, exterior volume control, and quality apps I marked it down a point. More apps will come overtime and there might be a patch to fix the wmv syc problem many people are having. Uverall this is a very good media player and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a portable media player.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Zune HD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, December 26, 2009, 03:27:52 AM »
+1 for demonstrating to everyone what HeadShot is supposed to be about.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, December 26, 2009, 04:47:18 AM »
Another +1 from me. Thanks for the review Killaman, you're an outstanding member and one hell of a beta tester :)
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Alex

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, December 26, 2009, 17:53:18 PM »
thanks  :)

Offline Archeh

• .[Ak4]. Member
  • Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Not Cwunk
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, December 27, 2009, 14:01:53 PM »
Told you he deserved Mod  8)

I'd +1 you but that's becoming redundant; great review. I'll have to think about whether to buy a Zune or an iPod to go along with my 16GB iPod Touch that's not nearly big enough for the 55GB of music (and additional movies) I've purchased legally over the past year.
Hi I'm Archeh I like too have fun online playing shoot-'em-up video games

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, December 27, 2009, 16:24:47 PM »
It's a damn shame that the iPod Touch/iPhone doesn't have a mini-usb to recognize external drives. Hell even a flash drive, it wouldn't take much to power one of those and they get up to like 16 or 32gb now...
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager