Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Thinking of building a new pc  (Read 10206 times)

Offline Alex

Re: Thinking of building a new pc
« Reply #15 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 15:47:03 PM »
I had a 4800 series (i think?) a few years ago. It would tear across the screen on some (not all) games. It got super annoying. Maybe I had a bad card but it pissed me off.
AMDs drivers used to be subpar. They have come a long way though. Nivdia isn't problem free either.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 15:53:29 PM »
Every manufacturer happens to have some sort of issue with consumer products. I happened to have 2 laptops over about 6 years, the first one was fitted with a mobile x1800, nice card but working on Maya with it was painful at times. The second one instead was fitted with an Nvidia Optimus 540m gt, with the Optimus system being quite an hassle for a while (until barely decent drivers where released). Some versions of Autocad showed horrible performance issues with it, part of the GUI disappearing or warping, sudden crash and such.

AMDs drivers used to be subpar. They have come a long way though. Nivdia isn't problem free either.

If i recall correctly, Nvidia once released a driver that was actually capable of letting the gpu "burning" under heavy load without lowering the frequency, it happened with a game but i don't recall which was its name.
« Last Edit: Monday, June 25, 2012, 15:56:06 PM by Koden »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #17 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 16:01:49 PM »
I had a 4800 series (i think?) a few years ago. It would tear across the screen on some (not all) games. It got super annoying. Maybe I had a bad card but it pissed me off.

4800's were made 4 years ago. It would be silly to base your hate for AMD on something so old in computer terms.

I agree with Koden. All manufacturers have bad products sometimes. Should we hate on Nvidia for the 4xx series being power hungry or for failing so hard with PhysX? AMD and Nvidia compete with each other, they have different release cycles and varying performance in cards. They both screw up and they've both been in first place in terms of raw power.

My case lights up. Sup?
Must make it go faster eh? lol at the "sup".
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 16:45:03 PM »

I agree with Koden. All manufacturers have bad products sometimes. Should we hate on Nvidia for the 4xx series being power hungry or for failing so hard with PhysX?

The 4xx series was somehow supposed (or maybe i should say advertised) to be the next step in general computing power from a graphic chip. I guess most of the people here are too young to know what Voodoo stands for, but heck in a decade quite a lot has changed.

For me one of the best chips among Nvidia production was the 9xxx gt series, in particular the 9600gt. Powerful yet not hungry at all.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #19 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 17:03:45 PM »
That was a bit before my time :) I didn't get into computers until my later teens. A lot of nerds my age got into computers before they hit 10. I missed out on some golden years.

Offline Alex

« Reply #20 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 18:04:45 PM »
if your having issues with gpu's u just dont have enough of them, same as ram and cores and stuff
Aw, poor skrewy pretending he knows about computers.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 19:36:29 PM »
Just before I upgraded to my current 6870, I had a 3870. The 3870 was solid and handled crysis nicely.  It was a very nice card and the 6870 has proven to be very nice as well so far, Both without hiccups.

AMD fo life

Offline Alex

« Reply #22 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 19:42:22 PM »
Just before I upgraded to my current 6870, I had a 3870. The 3870 was solid and handled crysis nicely.  It was a very nice card and the 6870 has proven to be very nice as well so far, Both without hiccups.

AMD fo life
I've got a 6870 as well. Great card.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #23 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 20:05:24 PM »
I've been aspiring to get the 6870 for about a year :)

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • "I got soul but i'm not a soldier..."
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
  • AA: [PTwars]b!6
« Reply #24 on: Monday, June 25, 2012, 20:13:39 PM »
I guess most of the people here are too young to know what Voodoo stands for, but heck in a decade quite a lot has changed.

OMG, i remember now, i had two Voodoo 2 connected on my pc with an S3 Trio 4mb i think ^^, replaced them few months later with the Banshee. Now, those were real graphic cards.

3dfx <3
"Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth"?
Hmm?

https://vortexservers.com/clients/aff.php?aff=406

Offline Alex

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 15:57:16 PM »
DO NOT BUY THE 550Ti. It is a huge waste of money. Spend the extra money to get the GTX560 or get the AMD 6870. The 550Ti is a waste of money for the performance it gives.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 15:58:57 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 16:01:28 PM »
maybe a 700W power supply?
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 16:07:28 PM »
I want to thank everyone for the input. After alot of work nok and I came up with this setup.
I was diggin your build sergio, It was just a bit over what i am looking to spend.

Antec NEO ECO 520W Power Supply
GIGABYTE LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
RAIDMAX SMILODON 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case
Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)
LG DVD Burner

what do you guys think?

i second KIlla so if you get a 6870 or either a 560 that psu is gonna be tight into limits. There are some good 600 watts corsairs and Antec's, maybe even some Seasonic ones. I don't really know anything about Raidmax, i've took a look and i've found just a bunch of budget cases.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 16:10:42 PM by Koden »

Offline Alex

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, June 26, 2012, 16:11:43 PM »
maybe a 700W power supply?
Not needed unless he wants to future proof his computer. You can actually run a 6870 on a 400w PSU if you wanted to. 

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager