Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Technical Pro HB1502U  (Read 16465 times)

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Technical Pro HB1502U
« on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 03:20:08 AM »
Wanting to throw a couple parties, I researched information for some weeks in the audio department. Looking at websites that sell PA System packages, I saw Technical Pro amps coming up a lot towards the cheap end. So I dropped some moneys on the entry level model.

Their Hybrid series of amps are a combination of a power amplifier, pre-amplifier, and tuner. So you can use it to power pretty much any type of speaker and prepare audio signals to be sent to other amplifiers; meaning this amp is pretty versatile and expandable. It looks pretty nice and has a lot of connections, even though it's one of those 'cheap-chinese-factory' made amps.

Specifications
When you look at this, it seems more like a receiver than a power amplifier, and like most receivers it has A/B channels. I assume using A+B mode runs the channels in parallel like other receivers. I only have 2 speakers connected at a time so I only use the A channel.

Unfortunately, Technical Pro doesn't list all the specs on their site, so I've put together information based on the specs from websites selling the amplifier. It would be nice if Technical Pro listed more useful information other than a theoretical amount of watts.
Note: A '?' is a guess value.
HB1502U
4 Channels
8ohms
4ohms
2ohms

70 watts per channel ?
100 watts per channel ?
Unknown
Surround Output
8ohms
4ohms
2ohms

Unknown
Unknown
Unknown
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)
20Hz - 20kHz

8ohms: Not sure // 4ohms: Not sure // 2ohms: Not sure
Signal to Noise Ratio (20Hz - 20kHz)Not sure
Amplifier ClassClass AB ?
Subwoofer Out
Low pass filter crossover frequency

Unknown

The Looks
There's 3 models: HB1502U, HB2502U, and HB3502U. All models are made for rack mounts and take up 2 units of space (hence the '2U' in the model names). I think the looks are similar to Maverick Audio's DAC and hybrid tube amp. The front of the Technical Pro amplifier has a brush aluminum face and sexy looking knobs. The case is dark-smoke aluminum with vents on the top. Also the front has handles on the rack mount ears.

Personally, I think the screen is pretty darn sexy. When powered off, it's a perfect mirror. When powered on, there's a nice double reflection and the electro-luminescent display has a ghosting effect that looks pretty nice. You can also see the circuitry connecting different screen elements together which I think is cool looking. One thing I find sort of funny are the fake icons on the screen, it reminds me of 90s electronics sort of. There's a 'TURBO POWER' graphic in the corner. Next to it is a fake wireless reception icon, ESP icon, Karaoke icon, cassette tape icon, and a digital CD icon. It's really 90s and I like it.

The screen icons that are not fake include the audio input source, speaker output (A, B, A+B), radio band selection, Bass and Treble controls, Balance control, a display that looks similar to a clock or calculator LCD, and a dancing EQ meter.

Honestly, I think the case is the most expensive part of the amp. The looks are better than the performance you expect out of this thing :D

The Power
Will finish later.

The Connections
Will finish later.

Final Thoughts
Will finish later.

How I Have My Setup
Laterrrrrrr.

Included Manual
The manual is sort of cheap as it only has information on how to use the amp. It doesn't have any extra specifications like RMS, THD, amplifier class, etc. However it does have a circuitry page.
Here are links to each page of the manual (taken with a camera):

Things Technical Pro Should Do
Even thought the company caters to a low to mid range level consumer, there's no reason a company shouldn't strive for high standards. High standards includes being honest about their products and including all the information they can. This product is basically from an electronics sweatshop, but that doesn't mean the company shouldn't care about what they're selling. This is why I think they should do the following:
  • Put their manuals online in PDF format
  • List all specifications for their amplifiers (e.g., RMS/Max average watts per channel at 1kHz, THD at 2ohms 4ohms 8ohms from 20Hz - 20kHz, Signal to noise ratio, amplifier class, dampening factor for 8ohms, frequency response range, what frequency the subwoofer out low pass filter is set to, etc)

Pictures

I recently got some large "bookshelves" as I like to call them. White van speakers with 12" woofer, 3.5" mid, and 2.5" high. They're decent.

Screen

Rear
« Last Edit: Friday, October 21, 2011, 23:12:24 PM by BlueBlaster »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Technical Pro HB1502U (Digital Hybrid Amplifier)
« Reply #1 on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 03:29:10 AM »
wowowowowowowowowowowowow That's cheap on eBay. $130!!!! I'm really tempted. How much power does it use? (amp rating by power plug)
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 03:45:02 AM »
Your lucky I didn't have it plugged in, the power plug says 10A 250V.

BTW, I got this amp on Monday and it was $125 from audiosavings. But they ran out of stock since I bought the last one, and when they're out of stock it doesn't even show up on their site :O .

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #3 on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 11:12:53 AM »
It requires 220? You sure it doesn't say 120~250v? 10A is still a lot though.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 13:19:32 PM »
I checked both sides and they both say 10A 250V. I'm certain that's a max power rating since the switch on the back of the unit is for 115V or 230V. Of course my switch is set to 115V.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #5 on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 15:42:11 PM »
Hmmm, I'm still really tempted at this price range. How's the sound quality? I'm a bit worried that the amp is built for volume, not quality.

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #6 on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 16:11:07 PM »
Looks nice, wish I could hear how it sounds.
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 16:32:05 PM »
It's true the amp is made for volume, but I feel like the quality is pretty good. I did fuck around with pure tones just to see for fun (even though I'm limited by my speaker quality) and it goes the whole spectrum. Low's are pretty punchy and tight and highs sound clear. Cymbals and such are very clear and sound like the real things.

Other interesting things to note: Max volume is 64db according to the amp's screen. I've gone up to 54db with no distortion.

Oh and the fan in the amplifier is quiet (I've seen lots of idiots complaining about the fan in reviews). Usually I'll play music at 32db which is good for quiet listening and the fan either isn't on or spins slowly (but the amp does stay at a good temperature). If I remember right, the fan starts to turn on at around 38db or 40db, but at those volumes you wont hear the fan blowing air. And btw, I was sitting like 3 or 4 feet away from the amp with these volumes so I can pretty much guarantee the fan is silent.

If you're tempted, then buy it. You can return it if you think it sucks, no big deal :D This amp is used for driving big PA speakers with huge woofers, so I wouldn't be surprised if you think the sound quality isn't great. And what are ya gonna use it for? Maybe you could find another power amp?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #8 on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 16:42:17 PM »
And what are ya gonna use it for? Maybe you could find another power amp?

I have easy to drive bookshelf speakers now so I don't need the power but it would be kinda cool to have a quadraphonic setup (stereo with 4 speakers) or to have the ability to drive floor standing speakers would be nice. Tiny bookshelf speakers are ok but real sound quality lies in speakers the size of your computer with large woofers, nice mids and quality tweeters.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 17:00:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can drive 4 floor speakers with this. The site isn't very specific but it's apparently rated 200watts RMS @ 8ohms. I own the thing but even I don't know if it's 200watts per channel or if it's 200watts total. But either way it'll drive floor speakers no problem.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #10 on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 17:09:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can drive 4 floor speakers with this. The site isn't very specific but it's apparently rated 200watts RMS @ 8ohms. I own the thing but even I don't know if it's 200watts per channel or if it's 200watts total. But either way it'll drive floor speakers no problem.
Seriously? The one I saw on eBay mentioned 1500 watt output and I laughed.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 17:28:30 PM »
1500 is the peak power output on the HB1502U model. There's enough connections on the back for 7 speakers so you can power up to around 1500watts I guess. At least I think it works that way. But yea, I also laugh when I see people believe DJ power amps output 1000+ watts. But hey, 200watt RMS is pretty damn good.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #12 on: Friday, May 06, 2011, 18:22:51 PM »
Yea, 200 RMS isn't bad. I think my current amp is either 10 or 20watts per channel. Even if you go 200/7 channels, that's 28.5wpc. Maybe it's 200 RMS WPC? Still, it looks great for the price. I'd like to hear it in person.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, May 07, 2011, 00:03:10 AM »
There's a channel A and B (these are the banana post ones). I think it's 100 and 100 (I know I've powered the speakers with more than 28.5watts). So 200watts for channels A+B. But I have no way of telling haha. Then there's 3 more outputs that take bare speaker wire. I dunno how much output these have since I haven't connected anything to those so far.

I think I might send an e-mail to Technical Pro about how much RMS comes out of each channel because I'm really curious.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, May 07, 2011, 00:21:24 AM »
I think I might send an e-mail to Technical Pro about how much RMS comes out of each channel because I'm really curious.

Post your findings here, I'm curious as well.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager